Siri icon present but greyed out; Siri on in settings

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rafagon, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Messenger app gives me a greyed out Siri icon. But the icon is normal in other apps. Wonder why?

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359682629.070765.jpg

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Could a mod please fix my title? "On" should be "out" instead...

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thread titled edited. Is Siri supported on facebook? I don't use facebook, so I'm not sure.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh, so each individual app -has- to support Siri? You don't automatically get Siri whenever there is a text entry field, regardless which app it is, as an OS-level feature?

I don't know whether FB supports Siri or not. I wouldn't have used her for dictation into it anyways, but it caught me by surprise to see her icon greyed out, as I'd never seen it that way before...

I just checked whether posting a status update on FB can be done with Siri, and in fact it can.

At this point, it seems that the company's other app "Messenger" is the specific app where Siri's icon keeps getting greyed out.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Hmmm, the microphone icon is functional for me in both the messenger app and the Facebook app.

Edit: I don't consider the microphone icon to be part of Siri. I think it's simply voice dictation since you're not really interacting with Siri herself. Just my interpretation though. I get the microphone icon when using any app where the keyboard pops up, so I don't think it's a matter of individual apps supporting Siri.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Very peculiar indeed. It's gotta be me then... I just tried several different apps and Siri's been available in all of them, up to and including AT&T's "Mark The Spot."

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359700152.876576.jpg

She's still unavailable on Messenger; that hasn't changed. I enabled Location Services for Messenger and that didn't help. I don't need her for Messenger, but my curiosity has been piqued. Time to hit up Google for answers!

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I forced-quit the Messenger app, restarted it, and she has returned. Weird... :confused:

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's a good point. Just like back when the iPad first got voice dictation but not Siri per se...

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

This has happened to me in other apps. Force quit has always rectified the situation.