Siri - is there anything to improve?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I would like siri to have:

• Voice Controlled Facebook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Voice Controlled Ebay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JGN

Dec 11, 2011
I was just thinking about some other functions which can be applied to that system. Do you miss anything in Siri? What else, in your opinion, would be great to do using Siri? Would you add any new functions to this app?

Siri is great if we consider it as a device voice controller, but it's quite inaccurate when (e.g.) users try to find restaurants, because Siri doesn't have opening hours.

I'm currently working on small siri-like app which could cover just one function (as e.g. voice controlled facebook) but perfectly tailored.

What functions would you add to Siri? Do you miss anything?

All opinions are extremely helpful for me. They can also change the world we live in, so let's give yourself a chance! ;)

Oct 3, 2009
I would put some of the simple stuff on the phone so it doesn't have to use the network to figure it out. Like, call home, call my wife, etc. Facebook updates would be nice. The ability to read past text messages would be another plus.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, there is a lot room for improvement; it's a beta and far from perfect.

For starters, I'd like to be able to disable Siri (and fall back to Voice Control) with a voice command when Siri isn't working due to network trouble or when I lose my signal. That way iPod controls will work, as they did on the 3GS and the iPhone 4, even when Siri isn't working.

JGN

Dec 11, 2011
I'd like to be able to disable Siri (and fall back to Voice Control) with a voice command when Siri isn't working due to network trouble or when I lose my signal. That way iPod controls will work, as they did on the 3GS and the iPhone 4, even when Siri isn't working.
indeed, that's great idea. But in the case of more complicated queries it's unfeasible... You need to have a huge DB on servers to handle that.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right, but you wouldn't need a huge database to disable a feature and default to Voice Controls. It just has to toggle Siri off. What would be even better is to have it not even require Internet for local actions like this. Voice Controls for the iPod actions didn't need internet on the older iPhones.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
well if i ask to play a song she won't play it. she will only play what i already have on my phone. that's not very helpful it's ok that she can play what i have on my phone. but Siri should be smart enough to know that if i don't have it. she needs to look for it. now that's what a personal assistant should do. now i don't expect her to find every single song on the planet, but she should be able to find some.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
well if i ask to play a song she won't play it. she will only play what i already have on my phone. that's not very helpful it's ok that she can play what i have on my phone. but Siri should be smart enough to know that if i don't have it. she needs to look for it. now that's what a personal assistant should do. now i don't expect her to find every single song on the planet, but she should be able to find some.
Perhaps that will be incorporated into a future third party app or natively as the beta progresses.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i hope so. as i'm sure others would also like to have this feature on there phone. (fingers crossed);)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Right, but you wouldn't need a huge database to disable a feature and default to Voice Controls. It just has to toggle Siri off. What would be even better is to have it not even require Internet for local actions like this. Voice Controls for the iPod actions didn't need internet on the older iPhones.
I would like this too. But I also want at least a slightly improved Voice Control. If it was a different voice then Siri that is a plus too--easy to tell which is which. :)

Mostly I want 3rd party app integration. For example I like that I can add an item to my grocery list by saying "Add coffee to my groceries list." Except I don't use the Reminders app for grocery list. So I would like to be able to add items to the app that I do use.

So many other possibilities with 3rd party apps too. I can envision using Siri to control a home automation app: "When I leave home turn on alarm system."

Michael

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Siri and I have a love/hate relationship. As in I loved her before we met and she hated me as soon as she heard my voice.

I do wish I could ask her to open apps with pages upon pages of folders of apps. Asking her to just open something would be great.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I know there is another thread about this but Siri integrated with maps would be fantastic. Voice control. Turn by turn nav. Give on the fly voice controlled route changes, etc...