Siri - is there anything to improve?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by JGN, Dec 11, 2011.

?

I would like siri to have:

1. Voice Controlled Facebook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Voice Controlled Ebay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (please write down correct response in the thread)

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JGN

JGN New Member

I was just thinking about some other functions which can be applied to that system. Do you miss anything in Siri? What else, in your opinion, would be great to do using Siri? Would you add any new functions to this app?

Siri is great if we consider it as a device voice controller, but it's quite inaccurate when (e.g.) users try to find restaurants, because Siri doesn't have opening hours.

I'm currently working on small siri-like app which could cover just one function (as e.g. voice controlled facebook) but perfectly tailored.

What functions would you add to Siri? Do you miss anything?

All opinions are extremely helpful for me. They can also change the world we live in, so let's give yourself a chance! ;)

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iOS Software section.

3. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I would put some of the simple stuff on the phone so it doesn't have to use the network to figure it out. Like, call home, call my wife, etc. Facebook updates would be nice. The ability to read past text messages would be another plus.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, there is a lot room for improvement; it's a beta and far from perfect.

For starters, I'd like to be able to disable Siri (and fall back to Voice Control) with a voice command when Siri isn't working due to network trouble or when I lose my signal. That way iPod controls will work, as they did on the 3GS and the iPhone 4, even when Siri isn't working.

5. JGN

JGN New Member

indeed, that's great idea. But in the case of more complicated queries it's unfeasible... You need to have a huge DB on servers to handle that.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right, but you wouldn't need a huge database to disable a feature and default to Voice Controls. It just has to toggle Siri off. What would be even better is to have it not even require Internet for local actions like this. Voice Controls for the iPod actions didn't need internet on the older iPhones.

7. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

it would be nice if they added voice controlled apps and music.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Could you expand on voice-controlled music?

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

well if i ask to play a song she won't play it. she will only play what i already have on my phone. that's not very helpful it's ok that she can play what i have on my phone. but Siri should be smart enough to know that if i don't have it. she needs to look for it. now that's what a personal assistant should do. now i don't expect her to find every single song on the planet, but she should be able to find some.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Perhaps that will be incorporated into a future third party app or natively as the beta progresses.

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i hope so. as i'm sure others would also like to have this feature on there phone. (fingers crossed);)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm still waiting for the danged toothpaste dispenser...

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

14. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

sorry Apple axed the toothpaste dispenser so that the phone will get better batt life;)

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple could have made it a manual dispenser...:(

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I would like this too. But I also want at least a slightly improved Voice Control. If it was a different voice then Siri that is a plus too--easy to tell which is which. :)

Mostly I want 3rd party app integration. For example I like that I can add an item to my grocery list by saying "Add coffee to my groceries list." Except I don't use the Reminders app for grocery list. So I would like to be able to add items to the app that I do use.

So many other possibilities with 3rd party apps too. I can envision using Siri to control a home automation app: "When I leave home turn on alarm system."

Michael

17. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

Siri and I have a love/hate relationship. As in I loved her before we met and she hated me as soon as she heard my voice.

I do wish I could ask her to open apps with pages upon pages of folders of apps. Asking her to just open something would be great.

18. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

I know there is another thread about this but Siri integrated with maps would be fantastic. Voice control. Turn by turn nav. Give on the fly voice controlled route changes, etc...

19. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

20. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

:)

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk