Siri ported to iPhone 4 !

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by avin7000, Oct 31, 2011.

1. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Siri Successfully fully ported to iPhone 4 :love::)

Siri, the voice powered personal assistant from Apple, has been ported to the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G by @stroughtonsmith and @chpwn.

Have Siri connecting to Apple's servers on iPhone 4 after a hack session with @chpwn!

And we now have it working on @chpwn's iPod touch :)

Steve Troughton-Smith says he will release detailed information on how the port was performed after the iPhone 4S jailbreak is released.

[​IMG]

2. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Yes it's posted in the homepage fyi

3. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Oh, I missed it somehow. I searched the forum & there were no threads, so started this :)

4. chavezr6

chavezr6 Member
    Bronze

I can't wait to try this out!

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It's nowhere near ready for a public release. Hopefully someone will package this tweak and upload it to a repo on Cydia. It really annoys me how Apple don't allow software to run on a device which is perfectly capable of it. Before anyone says it, I know they do this to push people into upgrading.

6. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

That's there mate. It's Evil Apple :mad:

7. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Gutted...Chpwn Blog stating the reasons it may not be coming to an iPhone 4 near you soon...

http://blog.chpwn.com/post/12189986710

Why not Siri for iPhone 4, iPod touch right now?

As @stroughtonsmith and I demonstrated a few days ago, it is possible to run Siri on iPhone 4 and iPod touch. However, as we are currently unable to distribute the port or the procedure we used, I think I should at least explain tthe reasons why that isn’t happening
    For a little background information, it’s important to understand the fundamentals of how copyright law works. Apple owns the copyright on the software, images, and data used inside iOS: they created them. Because of that, they have the ability to decide what other people can — are licensed to — do with them: copy, distribute, adapt, modify, or any number of other protections of their works. Pretty simple. But this does lead to one important, if somewhat counterintuitive, fact: just because a piece of data is available freely on the internet does not mean that you have the rights to redistribute that data (or any part of it) without an applicable license. In practice, that means that just because certain files are freely available on a device or inside a firmware (.ispw) file freely downloadable from Apple’s website, it does not imply that those files can legally be distributed by anyone else.
    In the context of Siri, this means that the resource files, images, and code that makes up Siri cannot be freely shared. These frameworks and plugins that work together to build Siri are not included on other iOS builds besides the ones running on the iPhone 4S. Therefore, these files must be copied from a running iPhone 4S, or from the iPhone 4S’s firmware (.ipsw) file. The first method requires you to own an iPhone 4S to copy the files from, so it is not useful for most people: if you already own an iPhone 4S, you already have Siri. The issue with the second method is more technical: the firmware files are distributed encrypted, and we do not yet have the decryption key to access the Siri files inside of the iPhone 4S firmware file.
    Just from that, you currently must already own an iPhone 4S to install Siri on it without a blatant copyright voilation. But even that’s not all: if you do all of that, there’s still a few more reasons why Siri won’t just work.
    Many people have managed to display the Siri UI on the iPhone 4; it is, in fact, reasonably trivial with access to the files copied off an iPhone 4S (as explained above). But only Steven and myself — yes, I know there are others that claim to have: I’ll tell you this, they haven’t ;) — have managed to make Siri successfuly contact the Apple servers and receive responses. Why? Here, the answers become slightly more murky. Partially this is because I don’t want to reveal too much about the procedure to try and ensure that you all will be able to use it in the future, and partially because it requires a jailbroken iPhone 4S, something which is currently notpublicly available. Anyway, the general gist of it is that you almost certainly need the access provided by the a jailbreak to extract all of the information necessary to get Siri working on another device, and that’s not yet availble. (And, no, I don’t know when it will be. You can follow along with me while we wait, though!)
    Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the technical and legal reasons why distributing a build (or instructions) to run Siri on older hardware isn’t possible at the moment. When we have the ability to decrypt the encrypted iPhone 4S firmware file — to extract the Siri files legally, without the need for an iPhone 4S — and we have an iPhone 4S jailbreak to obtain the other nececssary information at a mass scale, hopefully this can become a reality and everyone can try out Siri on their older devices. Until then, showing you a video that it is possible is the best we can do.
    (Oh, and to answer another popular question: nobody has tried it on an iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 3G or an iPad on iOS 5, so we don’t have any clue if it will work or not there. But we can hope it will!)

8. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I seriously doubt Apple would be chasing down authors for writing code to enable Siri on non 4S devices. The reasoning explained in the post from Chpwn is tantamount to what jail breaking does. It modifies copyrighted software so that we can install other packages on our phones not sanctioned by Apple. What really annoys me is that I have a legitimate copy of Siri on my iPhone 4 but it will not function. The only reason it doesn't work is because Apple is highlighting Siri as an EXCLUSIVE feature on the 4S. Another reason may be that if Siri was enabled on all handsets then it might be too much for the Apple servers to handle. I tend to really doubt that but I can't think of a logical reason why Apple has decided to make Siri 4S exclusive. If I had the know how I would not care at all of the ramifications of releasing code that would enable Siri to operate on other iOS devices.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I do agree with what you're saying and we hear this all the time, in every forum. Siri is just another feature. Look back at the iPhone 2G and iPhone 3G... the supposed limitations in hardware wouldn't allow the iPhone 2G to be used as a video camera. Although we all jailbroke and installed Cycorder to make it work it was clear that the software and hardware were more than capable of running a video camera. Apple releases these features to make us upgrade, it's human nature to always want something slightly better. Another annoying feature is the mirroring from the iPhone 4 and iPad 1 - why Apple doesn't allow this is beyond me.

10. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I agree.... Apple does operate in mysterious ways. Anyway, I really shouldn't get too SIRIOUS (sic) about SIRI :) I'm curious how SIRI would answer a female's question like on the Geico commercial. "Does my butt look too big in this dress"? Can anyone venture to guess?

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If Siri could answer questions like that then I think a few iPhone 4S was be broken by angry women...

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'll add a couple things to what I've already said when you asked this question in the past. There are Android phones out there that never receive a single major OS update. Every iPhone in existence has received at least two major updates. In addition to certain features not working perfectly (or at least as well as they do on the newest iPhone) on the older iPhones, consider that the network might not be able to handle an overwhelming amount of Siri usage (if supported on every iPhone generation). It already can't handle all the 4S Siri usage. I've experienced multiple network problems with Siri. I upgrade my iPhone every year, and maybe that's part of the reason why I don't get upset about all of the new software features not being supported on the old devices, but I just thought pointing out that this problem is even worse on Android might help put it in perspective.

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thanks.

14. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

A full port of Siri is expected to released on 7th Nov 00:00 EST... the main players behind this bid is @TheSiriPort and @Jackoplane.... Not going to hold my breath...

[​IMG]

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Can't see this happening.

16. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

The full article can be read on AppAdvice.com ..... Apple might do the right thing:) Untitled.jpg

17. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Tweeted by Ryan Petrich....Siri running on a 3GS....?

18. chavezr6

chavezr6 Member
    Bronze

Link disabled for too much traffic. That was quick.
    I just want to try it on my iPhone 4.

19. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Me and you both...don't care who gets bragging rights...I just want Siri running on my iPhone4 as well:);)

20. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Again Siri has been ported to iPhone4 @JackoPlane has managed to do it...really don't understand the logic to manage the impossible and not releasing it to the wider community. For someone so smart he couldn't even make a decent video:ROFLMAO:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18639861