Siri Tips and Tricks

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
On the great advice of Hondamaker, I decided to start a new thread on Siri Tips and Tricks.
If anyone has anything to add post away.

Here is one I posted on another thread.

If you say 'Wikipedia this', this being any subject. it will open up that topic in Wikipedia automatically provided that there is a Wikipedia page for that topic.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
In addition to 'give me the weather', you can also say give me 'windchill', 'windspeed', or 'humidity' for those results.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I've had hit and miss luck with this one: say Reset and 'usually' Siri will re-spring your phone.
Edit: it is actually Restart

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
I've had hit and miss luck with this one: say Reset and 'usually' Siri will re-spring your phone.
Now that is, for me, one of Siri's more impressive functions. Gotta find someone with a 4S and try it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Try saying restart, rather than reset.

You can also say Wolfram to get specific results from there.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Try saying restart, rather than reset.
You can also say Wolfram to get specific results from there.
I always do that. Meant to say Restart. I edited my post. Thanks for
The correction !

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Is it an actual respring or a standard reboot? If it's the former, this would mark the first time you could respring a stock iPhone.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Is it an actual respring or a standard reboot? If it's the former, this would mark the first time you could respring a stock iPhone.
The times I have gotten it to work, I am thinking it's a re-spring. Too fast for a reboot.
Screen goes black, spinning circle... maybe 5-7 seconds, back to home screen.

Edit: Very unofficial time here, but just told Siri - Restart and 9 seconds I was back to the password prompt and noticed it had AT&T listed and didn't search for a signal. Thinking it is a re-spring :D

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When you say 'play music' and then it will begin playing your songs, you can say 'skip' and it will skip to the next song. You can also tell Siri to 'stop' your music.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can you launch a track by title or play all tracks by an artist by name?

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
The times I have gotten it to work, I am thinking it's a re-spring. Too fast for a reboot.
Screen goes black, spinning circle... maybe 5-7 seconds, back to home screen.

Edit: Very unofficial time here, but just told Siri - Restart and 9 seconds I was back to the password prompt and noticed it had AT&T listed and didn't search for a signal. Thinking it is a re-spring :D
Welcome and yes, it's a respring.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Can you launch a track by title or play all tracks by an artist by name?
Yep. Song titles work now. Playing all tracks by an artist works fine as well. It isn't a new feature, though. It worked on 3.x and 4.x when you said, "Play artist whatever."

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
When you say 'play music' and then it will begin playing your songs, you can say 'skip' and it will skip to the next song. You can also tell Siri to 'stop' your music.
You can also use Siri to just pause the music, then to restart it. I tried it the other day.

orac

Dec 30, 2011
I've only had my iPhone a couple of weeks - i read the manual and thought Siri looked like it could help me make calls handsfree while driving - could be a real help -BUT whenever I ask Siri to make a call i get told it can't with no reason given. I'm guessing its cos the numbers are too short (8 digits - for company internal) but there is no setting i can find to adjust.:(. It does work on full STD 11+ digit ones but I rarely have to dial them.
Anyone any idea how to resolve?

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just learned today that you can say 'Yahoo [name of your sport's team]' and it will bring up your team's latest score and schedule of next game.