Siri Unavailable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nolimit4, Nov 11, 2011.

1. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

Suffered through the great 11/3 Siri outage day. Rejoiced when Siri returned on 11/4. However, now over the last 18 hours in Charles County Maryland, I’m experiencing another unavailable period with Siri. Main message has been “I’m really sorry about this, but I can’t take any requests right now. Please try again in a little while." I did the IOS 5.0.1 bug fix. Siri was unavailable before doing the bug fix and after the bug fix. Could the Apple servers that service Siri be overloaded due to the IOS upgrade fix? Anyone else having Siri problems?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try disabling Siri, rebooting, and then reenabling Siri.

3. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

Tired your suggestion but Siri remains unavailable.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you get this message on WiFi or just on 3G? My only other suggestion is to reset your network settings.

5. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

Message received today from WiFI at home. Last night it was both 3G when I was away from my house and Wifi when I was in my house. Same pattern this morning. This afternoon, I have remained in WiFi mode. Everything else (email, text messages, safari, etc) works fine.

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

It's not like the phone isn't usable without Siri.

7. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

MuddyPaws, you are correct! iPhone works well without Siri. I'd like to determine if the Siri problem is just with my iPhone or is there a general outage that is effecting many. I guess I'll have to reach out to Apple support if the problem is just with my iPhone. Thanks!

8. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

9. Ashley Dawson

Ashley Dawson New Member

nolimit4 - I am in Baltimore Co. Maryland and having Siri issues... just got the phone tuesday :O(

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hmm. It does sounds like it's a regional problem. Hopefully, it won't be down for too long.

11. nolimit4

nolimit4 New Member

Ashley, Problem Solved! I went to the 2nd URL shown above and it recommended the fix immediately below. I followed the steps and Siri came back to life for me. If you are going to try this, record your Wifi settings first because when you follow step #2, it will rubout any Wife setups that you have. After the network is reset, you'll have to reenter you Wifi settings and then turn Siri back on. Good luck!

Want to fix Siri? Business Insider says it has a simple solution for making Siri work:
    1. Turn Siri off (Settings > General > Siri)
    2. Reset the network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)
    3. Turn Siri on again
    Business Insider reports that this simple process should fix your Siri connectivity problem. If it doesn't, try again.

12. JuliBoc

JuliBoc New Member

This procedure worked for me. Thank you, Nolimit4.

13. Ashley Dawson

Ashley Dawson New Member

Nolimit...you are awesome! Thank you so much lol

I passed this info onto the Apple forum someone was having the issue also :0)

14. Tom Dibble

Tom Dibble New Member

Amazingly, worked for me too. I was having the same issue today. I've been having spotty Siri connectivity ever since we got the phone the first day it was out. Hopefully Siri will be better behaved now!

Definitely disproves the "it's all server issues" explanation I keep hearing though. I had been trying to get Siri to respond to anything for the past day almost constantly, hundreds of times in all. Turned her off, reset the network, and turned her on again, and suddenly she works like a charm. Can't attribute that to coincidence!

I wonder if the "trick" is the deletion of local information on the Siri servers (which happens when she is disabled, according to the settings page), or the reset of the network connections. The latter seems more like voodoo; I was having the same issue on multiple WiFi networks as well as over 3G (Verizon here); I'm guessing that something is getting corrupted in the Siri server's database for individual users and that wiping that out and starting over again fixes matters somehow.

15. Tom Dibble

Tom Dibble New Member

I should also note that the "just reboot the phone" suggestion (without disabling/re-enabling Siri) didn't do a thing for me. I should have tried disable Siri/reboot/reenable before also doing the network reset, but my mind wasn't thinking scientifically :)