Siri update - am I missing something?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I have to admit, I was really excited to hear that Siri was going to possibly come out of beta and advance to the big leagues. Sadly there is still something this "advanced digital assistant" cannot do and that is simple phone functions.

Can someone explain to me (I am serious) why Siri cannot execute the following two commands?
-siri please turn on airplane mode
-siri please turn bluetooth off

Shouldn't commands like this be the simplest thing for the phone to do? Am I missing the way you need to say the commands or something? I have tried many variations and I am always left with the phone apologizing that it cannot do it. Which is another thing, don't say you're sorry, just do it from crying out loud!

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
You can jb it if one is available yet and install assistant which gives Siri most commands like turn on and off Bluetooth, change brightness etc

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
I have to admit, I was really excited to hear that Siri was going to possibly come out of beta and advance to the big leagues. Sadly there is still something this "advanced digital assistant" cannot do and that is simple phone functions.

Can someone explain to me (I am serious) why Siri cannot execute the following two commands?
-siri please turn on airplane mode
-siri please turn bluetooth off

Shouldn't commands like this be the simplest thing for the phone to do? Am I missing the way you need to say the commands or something? I have tried many variations and I am always left with the phone apologizing that it cannot do it. Which is another thing, don't say you're sorry, just do it from crying out loud!
If Apple didn't make those two things a feature of Siri then they can't possibly work on a nonJB device. Same goes
for opening Apps, "IT" can open some but not all, a least until they decide "IT" can.

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
To me it just smells of Apple holding back features so they can add them when they need to. No doubt this would be easily done, but they added enough features with the iPhone 5 to satisfy the masses.

It's possible with the iPhone 5S (?) they will add this feature to Siri when they aren't adding many other features.

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
Maybe when they get enough feedback from users they'll add such capabilities. I'm not upset with anything Siri doesn't do, because I wasn't expecting anything other than what was announced. Discussions I've been in here regarding Bluetooth and iCloud Tabs caused me to consider Settings that I'd like to be able to manipulate using Siri. For instance, I have Private Browsing turned on at all times, but to use iCloud Tabs it needs to be turned off.
Having Siri turn it on and off would be a huge plus. Some people here seem to think things like this shouldn't be any more difficult for Apple to implement than starting an apps. If that's true, I say open the floodgates! Idea for a new thread: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE SIRI TO BE ABLE TO DO IN SETTINGS?