SiriusXM for Your iPhone is Here!

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I was fortunate enough to be selected as a beta tester for Starplayr for the iPhone. I thought I would let you guys get a sneak peek.

Three different companies combined there efforts to develop this product.

NiceMac LLC http://www.nicemac.com - Makers of StarPlayr
Millard Software http://www.millardsoftware.com - Makers of uSirius
Geeks Tool Box - http://www.geekstoolbox.com - Makers of StreamSmart

For a beta product it is very stable and full of features:

Album Art
Lyrics
Buy from iTunes or Amazon Directly
Favorite Channel List (Shake to Choose Random Favorite)
Support for HQ Streams (wi-fi only)
Works over Edge
Sort by Genres

There are currently about 250 beta testers and the plan is to submit it to the App store on January 31st. So hopefully it will be available about mid February or so. Depending on the app store back log.

Not sure how much it is going to cost.
Xm or Sirius subscription required.

/my inno for sale on ebay soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
How much? It works if you are already a Sirius Subscriber?

I have to say, I've been with Sirius for over a year now and this merger definitely diminished the quality of music that I've gotten. The only reason I keep Sirius at this point is because the radio in my car came disconnected from the antenna (the antenna is in my windshield) and because it's an aftermarket windshield, the warranty is voided. I refuse to pay to have the radio fixed when I pay $170/year for satellite radio.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i have been wanting this for a long long time, i wanna beta test, is this still open for testers?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thanks, i know that there was a thing for JB phones back with 114 but it was not ported to 2.x wonder why?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sirius/XM Radio is not available in Hawaii. So, this works off the internet and you still have to have a Sirius/XM subscription?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Sirius/XM Radio is not available in Hawaii. So, this works off the internet and you still have to have a Sirius/XM subscription?
Yes it uses the internet. You need a subscription. Sirius has $7.99 a month online only sub that does not require the purchase of any hardware.

You need a Radio ID to sign up for XM's version.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
well i want this ... im sure that Apple will not allow it, they don't allow all the good crap, they only allow stuff that farts

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I have Sirius in my car and really enjoy it. I would like to have it on my 3g.

Edsel

Sep 5, 2007
This should be great if it works good. My new car came with XM and I have to say thats its great! I have 2 channels programed in my car from that pic you posted lol.

Edsel

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I will get this in a heartbeat if it comes out!

I love Howard Stern :)

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
The only reason I keep Sirius at this point is because the radio in my car came disconnected from the antenna
I could not be more polar opposite than you on this. I hate commercial radio... the ads are so demeaning and annoying. Basically... I will not listen regardless of what they are playing. I can only listen to so much public radio even though it is commercial free. For me... Sirius and XM (we have both in various cars) is valuable because offers commercial free content... not because of the actual music.

I do think that they will have an ongoing severe biz problem. Right now, their value proposition is that they can deliver music almost anywhere... regardless of cell or internet reception. As internet coverage covers the globe... the value of satellite radio diminishes. However... at this point it is too far away for me to worry about... so I subscribe to both XM and Sirius... which of course is in the process of becoming a single service.

I am really looking forward to this application!

/Jim

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Sirius and XM have already merged and as a subscriber to Sirius I now get the combined Sirius/XM broadcast: is this not true where you live? You also state that you like Sirius/XM because they are commercial free: in fact, many of the news broadcasts are relays of regular TV broadcasts and contain ads.

I agree with you that satellite radio is in for problems: if you use it mainly for music, you are at least as well off using an ipod or similar player and of course then don't have to pay subscription fees. I have been aware for some time that as I listen to certain channels frequently, there is only so much music in the satellite library and I again start hearing the same pieces in the same sequence.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Sirius and XM have already merged and as a subscriber to Sirius I now get the combined Sirius/XM broadcast: is this not true where you live? You also state that you like Sirius/XM because they are commercial free: in fact, many of the news broadcasts are relays of regular TV broadcasts and contain ads.
XM and Sirius receivers are not compatible. The newly merged company has two sets of satellites... one for XM, one for Sirius.

The companies have legally merged... but the two businessses have not completed merging yet. For example, I was a subscriber to both XM and Sirius. The two billing systems have not been merged yet... so there are still two separate bills. In my case... my single Sirius radio has a lifetime subsription... so it is not a huge issue. However, since I cannot list my Sirius receiver as my "first" radio... I have to still pay the higher initial price for the first of my XM radios. They claim that once the two billing systems are merged, then my "lifetime" Sirius radio will be my fist subscription, and then I will only have to pay the "additional radio" fee for the 2nd and 3rd receivers.

Also, the programming is not totally merged. They offer "best of XM" or "best of Sirius" as cross programming... but the content is not the same. If you have both XM and Sirius receivers, you will get different content... with some overlap.

Regarding commercials... that is the exception, and it is easy to avoid channels that do not offer commercial free programming. For example, I refuse to tune into any XM stations with the CM designator.

/Jim

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
That's interesting. I was a Sirius subscriber and now get Sirius/XM combined programs, though I am not sure I don't also get separate Sirius broadcasts. I will check when I am next in my car for a spell (the weekend, probably). The more I hear Pandora, and now Slacker, on my iPhone, along with all the stuff I have imported into it from iTunes, the less I see the need for Sirius/XM (I am not a fan of Howard Stern, so what other good reason is there?)