Size Matters? (-;

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smudgeyjoe, Oct 6, 2011.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

First of all, I'm euphoric because I am an Apple guy living in a Sprint family, waiting against hope that there would finally be a Sprint iPhone. Now at long last, I can be an entirely Apple guy. My question has to do with size. In the past, I have been a person who always opts for the largest, hence a 64GB iPad2, but as I reflect on reality with my iPad, I still have 40+ GB of space left, so I am curious what others think about 16 vs. 32 vs. 64. I preorder tomorrow, so I would greatly value your thoughts. As a retired teacher, I need to balance frugality with necessity.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I'm still up in arms between 16 and 32 myself. My 3GS is a 16 and I do have plenty of space left. No music on my phone, just apps, email and such. Think I may stay with the 16gb... I'll know for sure at some point after 03:01 tomorrow morning. Lol

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Go with a 32. Unless you plan on having a lot of movies and music on your phone I don't personally believe u will ever need 64. Now the 64 will be used for some people.
    I personally have an 8 right now and am careful with my storage. I will be getting a 32.

4. SunnySweet

SunnySweet Contributor
    Bronze

I am going with the 64 GB white :love: I currently have a 32 GB ... 100 songs ... 1800 photos ... 130 apps ... 60 videos ... and have 18 GB available. I am sure I could manage with a 32 again (and probably should LOL) but since the 64 is available I will get it just in case. I am forever deleting things and trying to be *careful* and with 64 I won't have to worry much ;) I hope that gives you some idea of what you might need !

5. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I go with the 32 only for resale value. Seems most people want the most storage you can get.
    For me 16 would be plenty. It is too easy to switch music and media.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

I'm pretty sure there is a 64GB option because the iPhone now takes 8MP pictures and 1080p video. Unless you're some crazy person (like me) 32GB should be plenty. Plus, iTunes Match will definitely help with storage space.

7. Eric Hollis

Eric Hollis Member
    Bronze

Yeah, but people are also mistaken about the iCloud storage. iMatch is great because you can keep all your music on the cloud, but as soon as you play it on your device, it downloads to it, so it isn't true streaming Same with pictures.

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I'm the crazy person who wants most of my content accessible locally and will still buy in to iTunes sync for the music upgrade and easy management. I got the 64GB 4S after having the 16GB 4 and constantly running out of space due to photos and video. I figured at the time I purchased it that I had a 64GB iPad and so there was no reason to have 2 64GB Devices. Well after the year of headaches I'm taking the plunge and getting the 64GB iPhone. Here is my iPad 2 now with this + tons of pictures!

ImageUploadedByiCafe1318217293.910223.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

9. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

But it's also not the same as keeping the files on your storage. The amount cache used for iTunes Match will dwarf those of us who put a lot of music on our devices. If you don't have a large library of songs, then the storage savings won't matter much.

So, yes, it's not "true" streaming but I'm hoping the performance will justify the use of the cache.

10. gaurav kumar

gaurav kumar Guest

Yes size really matters. 32 gb is enough memory for any one who want to load number of movies and songs . One's demand is depend upon his necassity.

11. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

64 would be best only if you take many photos or videos and have a ton of music and apps I have a 32 gig now but would love the 64 if possible

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

12. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I think I will stick with 32gb. I have 548 songs, 280 photos, 113 apps installed and have 18.6 gb remaining now on my iPhone 4. I can use that extra money to get some new cases or start saving up to get an iPad eventually....

13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

This sounds a lot like my line up. I am always deleting things and it gets annoying to say the least. So I ordered the 64Gig Black 4S. Hubby's is the same. We take tons of photos and have lots of music and TV shows and movies on our phones, so this just made sense for us.

14. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I've got the 32gig iPhone4, and it's the perfect size. Enough for the music I like to listen too, allot of movies for those times I'm bored, and still lots of room for pics, home vids, and all the apps a guy could want. My wife has the 16gig, and I don't think it would be enough for me, and 64 seems like too much...the only way I could fill 64gigs is to load all 30gigs of my music, and almost all of my movies. Im not one to keep lots of pics on my phone. I have a 64gig iPad, and could have settle for just a 32 gig.

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

One other thing I thought of and I told my husband this. As much as he and I like to take video with the iPhone, this one has a 1080p HD recorder so now we will be recording in HD. That will take up more space than our normal recordings, so......I had to say no more. 64Gig it was.

I can't imagine the video taking up the exact amount of space as the iPhone 4 videos do.

Then, of course, there are the new apps and some of the developers might get a little MB happy this go around so its best to be prepared.