Skeptical about buying an iPhone

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
I've had the 1st gen iPhone for about 6 months and when Apple announced the new 3G version, as you can guess, I was fucking pissed. I, like many others, tried to sell my phone in a hurry to get the new phone. Needless to say, I failed miserably, never got the phone, and I've been phoneless until now.

Now Christmas is rolling around. I can't help but feel like this is a deja vu. It feels pretty nostalgic, as once more I have enough money to buy the new 3G phone. I suppose the whole point I'm trying to make is this.

Will Apple release a V3 iPhone for sure? I've been reading around the forums and I've noticed people sound 100% sure it will come out. And also, will Apple ever release a 32GB model? One of the threads read "32GB will come out in 2009". I would fucking pissed to see that happen right after I buy a new 16GB model.

I can't help but feel like Apple's doing this to me on purpose. I mean, seriously, this isn't the first Apple product that I had something like this happen. Only a MONTH after i bought my iPod video, the iPod classic comes out. Only 5 months before i bought my iPhone did the V2 version come out. This time, I'm going to prevent this to the best of my abilities.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am not sure what to tell you. Is Apple going to come out with another iPhone? You net your sweet ass they are. Are you going to be pissed about it if you buy one now? Probably, since this would be you third time Apple "got you".
No matter what you are going to be behing the curve at some point. My v1 died recently, and I did everything to try and ressurect it, but was unsuccessful. I was very happy with my v1, and planned on keeping it till some truly better came along. But since it died, I am typing to you on my new white 16gb 3G phone. Yes I like it and yes it's a little faster (ok, in some cases, much faster) but it's practically the same phone as before.
What you need to ask yourself is, "should I wait another 8 months, or take the plunge and be satisfied with what I can get now?"
Up to you.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
The problem with rumors is just that, they're rumors. A 32GB iPhone would be nice, but the $$$ of the iPhone/iPod's hard drives needs to go down for the iPhone to see any more memory (being that the iPhone only has one HD slot whereas the iPod has two, letting it hit that 32GB benchmark with two 16GB drives.) Now thats not to say it won't happen, it may and the 32GB iPhone might carry a heafty price tag.

As for a 3rd gen iPhone (4G would refer to the cellular data network which a 4G network in the States is YEARS OUT) coming out next summer like the last two..... why not. It seems that Apple is constantly upgrading their products, so why would the iPhone be any different? I could be wrong, but for some reason with phones, old isn't good enough for most and they need new, so Apple would be losing out on money by not rolling out a new phone that people will buy.

If it wasn't for 3G and GPS, I would have never got rid of my first gen iPhone, but I just use cellular internet too much to not get 3G. And the GPS is nice too. So if this 3rd gen iPhone only has a better camera, different size, or other small things then I will not be upgrading. But if it gets a better/faster processor, higher resolution screen and more memory, then that might be worth it for me.

If you've gone this long without a mobile, then whats a few more weeks to see if a 32GB iPhone is announced.

Oct 13, 2008
HI--I just got m first iPhone this week. If they put out a 3rd generation iPhone next summer I would consider passing this one on to one of my children and getting the newer one if it can support mms texting. As thrilled as I have been with my iPhone so far, I was quite chagrined to discover that I cannot send pix in text messages. I know I can email them, but it is cumbersome and some carriers make it difficult to find the phone number's email address. I read somewhere that for att it's 123456789@mms.att.net, but so far that hasn't worked for me.

Any thoughts on what Apple is going to be announcing on Oct 14?

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
I, like many others, tried to sell my phone in a hurry to get the new phone. Needless to say, I failed miserably, never got the phone, and I've been phoneless until now.
How does someone "Fail Miserably" to buy an iPhone? That's like saying you failed miserably to buy a hamburger at McDonald's. All you have to do is:

1. Go to the Apple Store
2. Give them money.

They will then give you an iPhone. It's pretty much fail proof...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
How does someone "Fail Miserably" to buy an iPhone? That's like saying you failed miserably to buy a hamburger at McDonald's. All you have to do is:

1. Go to the Apple Store
2. Give them money.

I believe he is trying to say that he tried to sell his phone at a time when the market was down for the v1's ( like right when the 3G went on sale), so he really didn't make any money.
Although, even making 200 is enough to get an 8GB 3G phone when they came out.
Sorry, I chaulk this guy up as one who will not be satisfied unless he gets it the day it goes on sale, and the moment whatever he has is outdated by a newer version, he'll be right there to either buy or whine.

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Ah, how pitiful. I was hoping someone would give some hard-core, proven facts. I guess ultimately it goes down to two choices: Buy one now for temporary satisfaction and [most likely] end up regretting it later OR endure the torment of not even knowing when the new iPhone will come out but be happy when it finally does.

And Hawk, I'm not sure who you were referring to when you said "I chaulk this guy up", but for a jobless 16 year-old, (I'm one of those people who HAS to have the best of whatever is given so in this case, it's the highest capacity) $300 is quite a lot of money. And I only managed to sell my v1 for $145.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ah, how pitiful. I was hoping someone would give some hard-core, proven facts. I guess ultimately it goes down to two choices: Buy one now for temporary satisfaction and [most likely] end up regretting it later OR endure the torment of not even knowing when the new iPhone will come out but be happy when it finally does.

And Hawk, I'm not sure who you were referring to when you said "I chaulk this guy up", but for a jobless 16 year-old, (I'm one of those people who HAS to have the best of whatever is given so in this case, it's the highest capacity) $300 is quite a lot of money. And I only managed to sell my v1 for $145.
$145? I am sorry. I know you sold when the demand was low, but... Not that low! I just sold my V1 last night on ebay for 225, and the communications board on it burnt out, so it has no service, wifi, or BT.
I feel for you, I really do, but you should take that as a lesson. If you always have to have the best and can never be happy with what you have, you will be miserable for the rest of your life.
If you want to wait for the new phone, then all you have to do is sit back and wait till June or July. You'll know for certain by the end of January, as that's when they should be announcing it at Macworld 09.
But if all you are waiting on is a larger capacity.... Well, don't know what to tell you. If I were waiting, it would be for better features like stereo BT, or better GPS, stereo speakers, or a 5 MP camera. and not just one of those features. It had better have MOST of them, otherwise it's the same phone with minor tweaks.
For you, don't buy now. go ahead and wait it out. Just remember that old adage of "he who hesitates is lost".

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
welcome to the world of revolving phones. I can speak for a lot of my brothers with and without the iPhone and comment that i/we have spent 2-3k on cell phones, blackberry's, accessories,etc over the past 5 years. It is just something u learn to live with. If you want to keep up with the latest technology it comes at a price. Have fun!

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
welcome to the world of revolving phones. I can speak for a lot of my brothers with and without the iPhone and comment that i/we have spent 2-3k on cell phones, blackberry's, accessories,etc over the past 5 years. It is just something u learn to live with. If you want to keep up with the latest technology it comes at a price. Have fun!
Amen. One can speculate all day long on what's next, but then you'll drive yourself nuts wondering if you should wait. Buy now and have fun with it or wait forever for Apple to stop improving their products.

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
And I only managed to sell my v1 for $145.
I sold mine for $300 with a cracked glass. I know you are only 16, but part of growing up means learning:

1. Patience. This includes making good financial decisions in your life. A 16 year old should be happy with a V1. You obviously cannot afford a V3 so you should learn to be happy with what you can afford. The consequences of where you are heading in life is that you become one of these people with thousands of dollars in credit card debt because you haven't learned fiscal patience.

2. That you can't always have the latest and greatest. No matter how often you by and iPhone there is always going to be a better one coming out in a few months. You have to learn to live with that. Try writing down the pros and cons of a new phone vs the price. You might find that you really don't NEED the new phone. You just WANT the new phone.

Think about it...

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Seriously, why don't you get a 3G now and learn to enjoy the day. For some of us, including you, and eventually all of us, tomorrow may never come.

This was my quarterly motherly advice.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I am a first generation iPhone owner and I am about to change over to the 3G phone. Honestly I have no desire to do it, but my G1 phone is dying. The home button does not really work and I have dropped the phone twice in the last year and a half where it impacted right on the power button so I can no longer power the phone down or reboot using that button. So I have been asking myself for the last week what I should do and I think I have settled on getting a 16G 3G now and not waiting.

Why? As others have pointed out things will evolve. We are in a down time right now, other then Apple meeting forcast #s for sales they don't have any milestones out there to rush unready product to the market like they did when the phone first came out. Also, as others have pointed out the iPhone might take a little longer to go to 32G if it is using 2 16s in the touch. The iPhone lacks spare space so until a 32 drops in price I think we are at a 16. From here where will the phone go? Much of the enhancements the phone needs are software driven. Sure they may up the resolution of the camera but for me I could care less. With no MMS I can't do anything with the picture other then save it or e-mail it (which means that none of my friends will see it on their phone as the sending it to a phone number thing does not work with all carriers and all phones).

The one biggest miss for me is lack of cut and paste. Mostly because it is such an "advanced cutting egde phone" that the thought of having to take a pencil out to write a log in and password to access a legacy system just makes me embarrassed for Steve Jobs. This is one place that really shows just how short sighted someone can be even when they are an innovative type.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Paitence is a virtue remember that. Just hold out, within due time copy paste and all that good stuff will hit. As for the phone just wait on that two. I've had my V1 since last year. I have an 8Gb and I have no space left, I had to actually delete songs and pictures just to update that Space monkey game. I know a 32Gb will come out soon enough. So Just hold on.

JCip

Dec 13, 2008
Why Must You Have It?

I've had the 1st gen iPhone for about 6 months and when Apple announced the new 3G version, as you can guess, I was fucking pissed. I, like many others, tried to sell my phone in a hurry to get the new phone. Needless to say, I failed miserably, never got the phone, and I've been phoneless until now.

Now Christmas is rolling around. I can't help but feel like this is a deja vu. It feels pretty nostalgic, as once more I have enough money to buy the new 3G phone. I suppose the whole point I'm trying to make is this.

Will Apple release a V3 iPhone for sure? I've been reading around the forums and I've noticed people sound 100% sure it will come out. And also, will Apple ever release a 32GB model? One of the threads read "32GB will come out in 2009". I would fucking pissed to see that happen right after I buy a new 16GB model.

I can't help but feel like Apple's doing this to me on purpose. I mean, seriously, this isn't the first Apple product that I had something like this happen. Only a MONTH after i bought my iPod video, the iPod classic comes out. Only 5 months before i bought my iPhone did the V2 version come out. This time, I'm going to prevent this to the best of my abilities.
First, I have been around for a long time and watched Apple stick it to their customers and employees since 1984. Three of the biggest heartless moves were:
1) Switching from producing the Apple II to the Fat Mac which could not run any of the previous software because of different OS.
2) Produce the expensive Apple III and then not support it with software.
3) Open Apple stores and then undercut them by directly selling computers from the factory (headquarters), bypassing the stores.
Apple hasn't changed, people just don't remember their stunts or haven't heard about them.
Anyway, did you say you had a 2G phone and sold it. Why? Is the 3G so much better. Those I've heard from don't think so. And what about service? Can afford a 2 year contract costing over $2000? It's a remarkable machine, this minicomputer, but it's expensive and the phone has been restricted in many ways.

JCip

Dec 13, 2008
Going to Buy a New Phone?

I am a first generation iPhone owner and I am about to change over to the 3G phone. Honestly I have no desire to do it, but my G1 phone is dying. The home button does not really work and I have dropped the phone twice in the last year and a half where it impacted right on the power button so I can no longer power the phone down or reboot using that button. So I have been asking myself for the last week what I should do and I think I have settled on getting a 16G 3G now and not waiting.

Why? As others have pointed out things will evolve. We are in a down time right now, other then Apple meeting forcast #s for sales they don't have any milestones out there to rush unready product to the market like they did when the phone first came out. Also, as others have pointed out the iPhone might take a little longer to go to 32G if it is using 2 16s in the touch. The iPhone lacks spare space so until a 32 drops in price I think we are at a 16. From here where will the phone go? Much of the enhancements the phone needs are software driven. Sure they may up the resolution of the camera but for me I could care less. With no MMS I can't do anything with the picture other then save it or e-mail it (which means that none of my friends will see it on their phone as the sending it to a phone number thing does not work with all carriers and all phones).

The one biggest miss for me is lack of cut and paste. Mostly because it is such an "advanced cutting egde phone" that the thought of having to take a pencil out to write a log in and password to access a legacy system just makes me embarrassed for Steve Jobs. This is one place that really shows just how short sighted someone can be even when they are an innovative type.
Don't forget that the new 3G will cost you a service contract over $2000! Can you afford to spend this amount in this uncertain economy? There is a practical alternative. My son just bought a Dell PDA and a Razor phone. What he can do with that V51 is remarkable. The PDA on ebay was $170 and the Razor (once $500) was free with a two year $40 a month contract. P.S. the PDA has cut and paste.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
My v1 died recently, and I did everything to try and ressurect it, but was unsuccessful.
I sold mine for $300 with a cracked glass.
Honestly I have no desire to do it, but my G1 phone is dying. The home button does not really work and I have dropped the phone twice in the last year and a half where it impacted right on the power button so I can no longer power the phone down or reboot using that button.
What in the hell are you people doing to your poor phones!?

:p Seriously!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What in the hell are you people doing to your poor phones!?

:p Seriously!
Mine was a refurb, and after the 2.1 update, my phone kept getting warm and apparently finally fried the communications board and damaged the logic board. the exterior of my phone is about pristine, but it doesn't work very well.
I was thinking of buying someone's off ebay with a cracked screen and building a beast for my wife. I guess we shall see.

PaulMccabe

Aug 11, 2007

1. Go to the Apple Store
2. Give them money.

I did the same thing as the original poster, and i failed. I met the buyer in a public place ( a starbucks in a busy shopping center) but that didn't stop him from robbing me at knifepoint. Luckily i got the bastards license plates AND a police officer pulled into his parking space moments after he sped off. I had my iPhone within 4 hours. But still an epic fail regardless.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
i bought iphoen 3g days ago, and now i prefer the slim iPhone nano. so i think i'll put it on ebay when the nano come out. if you're a tech fan, this way is easy.