Skipping iPhone activation...is there still a way?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for a while now(don't have an iPhone anymore and don't miss it). I have a buddy who wants to get one that already has AT&T. Can you still bypass the iPhone activation and pop your own sim in? Back when I bought mine there were ways to do it but I didn't know until after I activated mine normally. Any help would be great!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
Hey guys, I have been out of the loop for a while now(don't have an iPhone anymore and don't miss it). I have a buddy who wants to get one that already has AT&T. Can you still bypass the iPhone activation and pop your own sim in? Back when I bought mine there were ways to do it but I didn't know until after I activated mine normally. Any help would be great!

was that necessary.... just ask the question... as for the answer to that SEARCH ..use it!

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
don't get butthurt. The iPhone is a joke ,you know it, I know it. I said that because I am not trying to come back. I am WELL aware there were ways to skip the activation. I am wondering if there are still ways to do it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
don't get butthurt. The iPhone is a joke ,you know it, I know it. I said that because I am not trying to come back. I am WELL aware there were ways to skip the activation. I am wondering if there are still ways to do it.
Wow. I was joking around in first post, but seriously. The iPhone, a joke? Come on, man.

- John

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
a joke? what are you talking about and im just wondering what is the device that you have that is better then the iPhone, just wondering...
better, of course is a matter of opinion. him calling the iPhone a joke was really unnecessary but I've had 2 phones since the iPhone that *I* think are better than the iPhone in its current state. I wouldn't trade my Nokia N95-3 now for anything in the world-at least not until the 3g iPhone comes out, then I'll be back :p hopefully MMS and A2DP will be implemented. Those were my two biggest beefs other than 3g.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
didn't mean to upset the Apple fanboys but can you honestly say you own the most powerful phone in terms of features on the market? keep in mind I owned the iPhone.... My blackberry 8310 stomps the iPhone in every way except fanboy following and looks. same with my Tilt. can you really say the iPhone competes with a 3g phone that mms's, videos and has a built in GPS? gimme a break. The iPhone is nothing more than a kids toy. cool concept and a great looking phone with a nice user interface. But I could go on forever about the shortcommings of the iPhone. as Aggieman said the n95 is a killer phone. I don't regret buying the iPhone but for 600 dollars there are way more powerful phones out than the itoy.

Just adding 3g to the iPhone wont bring me back, I want blackberry connect bush email support(many windows mobile phones support this), MMS, waaaaaaay louder earpiece volume, speakerphone and ringtone volume, GPS and im sure there are more I cant think of.

On that note I am sorry for offending you guys I know you iPhone owners think your phone is the best because its the most trendy. BTW I work for AT&T and we sell the iPhone like hardcore. But it is the most returned phone I have ever seen. People who want a phone/toy will love it, people who want an effective tool will return it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
didn't mean to upset the Apple fanboys but can you honestly say you own the most powerful phone in terms of features on the market? keep in mind I owned the iPhone.... My blackberry 8310 stomps the iPhone in every way except fanboy following and looks. same with my Tilt. can you really say the iPhone competes with a 3g phone that mms's, videos and has a built in GPS? gimme a break. The iPhone is nothing more than a kids toy. cool concept and a great looking phone with a nice user interface. But I could go on forever about the shortcommings of the iPhone. as Aggieman said the n95 is a killer phone. I don't regret buying the iPhone but for 600 dollars there are way more powerful phones out than the itoy.

Just adding 3g to the iPhone wont bring me back, I want blackberry connect bush email support(many windows mobile phones support this), MMS, waaaaaaay louder earpiece volume, speakerphone and ringtone volume, GPS and im sure there are more I cant think of.

On that note I am sorry for offending you guys I know you iPhone owners think your phone is the best because its the most trendy. BTW I work for AT&T and we sell the iPhone like hardcore. But it is the most returned phone I have ever seen. People who want a phone/toy will love it, people who want an effective tool will return it.
I like my Tilt and N95-3 better than the iPhone as well. Once the novelty of it wears off you realize that it does not offer a lot of the things that other phones offer. Some people decide they do not need these features while some of us do. It does not mean the iPhone is not a cool device. I think the concept of it is great, and it is a 1st generation device that is only going to get better. When i first bought it I was amazed by the touch screen and how intuitively everything worked. It just worked. But alas I couldn't live with the things it lacked. Now that i have an 8GB microsdhc card for my N95-3 there really is nothing that I'm missing from the iPhone.

But, Mark, there is a reason that the iPhone is AT&T's hottest selling device (other than the marketing giant that Apple is). It's an innovative product unlike anything else we've seen and as far as multimedia convergence there really is nothing that compares. If you watch movies on your phone (which I don't-I use my 80 GB 2nd gen Zune), it's hard to beat the iPhone. I think the source of all the negativity surrounding the iPhone is people expected it to be something it wasn't. People expected it to be a businesss AND entertainment phone, and really there is no businesss side to it in its current state. I'm unbiased I guess, I won't trash the iPhone, I'm glad I purchased it and also glad I sold it. Now I know what I'll want to look for in the 2nd generation iPhone.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I never expected anything that wasn't advertised and knew every limitation when I bought it. But the simple fact is, its not a PHONE FIRST! any PDA/Converge device/smart phone needs to be a phone first multimedia tool second. The iPhone is not a good phone, its a great music player(aside from the recessed headphone jack), a good video player with a nice large screen etc. and is also has a great internet experiece even without 3g, the actual viewing is nice, and html email.... but the phone its self is horrible. non existent speakerphone, low ringer and earpiece volume etc etc. I wont get into the wanna be push email and MMS support.

There is a reason why its AT&T's hottest selling phone, actually its not our best selling phone but it is the single handed most returned phone right now. The reason the demand is there, is because of the market, woman want it, young kids want it. every time a businesss man comes in asking about the iPhone it takes me about 30 seconds to get him into a blackberry because it just makes sense. but for what the iPhone is, it captures a good part of the market, younger crowds and people who are more into looks than function.

Xezebien

Jan 29, 2008

Did you Jailbreak your iPhone? I hated the thing up until buying one and jailbreaking it, and now I don't know a phone that can do more than my iPhone. I can open an SSH tunnel with my PC and transfer files over to in Drag and Drop style. I have video games on it with motion sensing controls. I even have a guitar tuner that uses the phones mic. I don't know of any other phone on the market (haven't looked though) that can tune a guitar. Being the musician on the go, this is more usefull than you would think.

To top it off, the iPhone is running a processor made by ARM at 421 mhz. Not horribly fast, but if you look at the clock speed on other phones you wind up lacking. It also has 119 mb ram, which is twice over what my pantech duo had. For a smartphone, the iPhone doesn't suck as much as you say it does (if you jailbreak it. if you don't then it does practically nothing.)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Lord Steveous will give us the features we want and need. In good time. They've only had this platform out for a half a year. Was the windows smartphone platform built in 6 months? No... Remember that His Holiness is building this platform from the ground up, both the PDA type features and the phone type features. Windows PDAs had been out and maturing for a while by the time they came out with the phone part. They already had half of it done.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Lord Steveous will give us the features we want and need. In good time. They've only had this platform out for a half a year. Was the windows smartphone platform built in 6 months? No... Remember that His Holiness is building this platform from the ground up, both the PDA type features and the phone type features. Windows PDAs had been out and maturing for a while by the time they came out with the phone part. They already had half of it done.
Amen........

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
thats cute you look up to Apple like they are god .you represent the majority of Apple buyers and the reason why Apple fanboys are the laughing stock of the electronics industry. If your precious lord was smart he would observe other phones to see what works and what people want. the clear difference between the iPhone and every other converge device is that the iPhone isn't a phone first. Thats the main drawback. I find it sad how people can support a company just because of the name and not for its products. why do you guys deal with the lack of features? to look trendy? Sorry buy I need my phone to function.
Windows mobile and companies like blackberry, nokia and palmone pioneered the converge device industry. Apple just tried to fit in and failed sadly enough. The phone is a very cool concept but didn't deliver what it should have. And im not saying I had false hopes and wished it did something it wasn't advertised to do. Again I work for AT&T I went through the prelim training on this device and knew what it could do and couldnt. I just don't get how people can be so obsessed with a device that doesn't really do that much....

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
thats cute you look up to Apple like they are god .you represent the majority of Apple buyers and the reason why Apple fanboys are the laughing stock of the electronics industry. If your precious lord was smart he would observe other phones to see what works and what people want. the clear difference between the iPhone and every other converge device is that the iPhone isn't a phone first. Thats the main drawback. I find it sad how people can support a company just because of the name and not for its products. why do you guys deal with the lack of features? to look trendy? Sorry buy I need my phone to function.
Windows mobile and companies like blackberry, nokia and palmone pioneered the converge device industry. Apple just tried to fit in and failed sadly enough. The phone is a very cool concept but didn't deliver what it should have. And im not saying I had false hopes and wished it did something it wasn't advertised to do. Again I work for AT&T I went through the prelim training on this device and knew what it could do and couldnt. I just don't get how people can be so obsessed with a device that doesn't really do that much....
I find it fascinating that you're still here just to preach your rhetoric. If you're really above the iPhone and it's community, then leave. Simple as that, really.

Why do our replies inspire you to repsond? Is it because somewhere at the back of your mind you're actually trying to convince yourself you made the right move by jumping ship?

It sure sounds like it, because the more long winded your replies become, the clearer this revelation becomes.

Good job talking customers into things they didn't come in for btw, proof in the pudding of your obvious disposition.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Like Apple because of it's name? Actually, I hate Apples. I love the products that the company makes. PCs make me sick.

The iPhone has been out for 6 months and it has a very large market share. You cannot deny that it smacks most phones out of the park. Can your phone view albums in Cover Flow? Does it have a kickass UI? Does it have Visual Voicemail? Does it work seamlessly with a Mac? I didn't think so.

I used to like you when you were around. You asked a question, you got your answer. There was no need to keep coming back and posting. We can see that you don't like the iPhone, and you're not among the majority.

- John