Skullcandy Ink'd headphones cable mod

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acribb

Aug 6, 2007
Has anyone tried modifying these buds to use the stock iPhone headphones cord?

The JVC Marshmallow mod worked fine, just wondering if these buds would open up easily without breaking...

BTW, I think these headphones sound A LOT better than the JVC buds - bass is deeper and louder and the highs are crisper.

Attachments

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Has anyone tried modifying these buds to use the stock iPhone headphones cord?

The JVC Marshmallow mod worked fine, just wondering if these buds would open up easily without breaking...

BTW, I think these headphones sound A LOT better than the JVC buds - bass is deeper and louder and the highs are crisper.
Do you own these headphones? Why don't you try it? The issue of course is whether you can open the case w/o damaging it.

I have modded the JVC Marshmallows, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I find the stock Apple earbuds to have much better fidelity than the JVCs. I don't know if I got a bad pair or what, but they sound tinny and are completely lacking in bass (far beyond any audio neutrality.)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I was going to buy some Skullcandy headphones today at Best Buy but wasn't sure about them. Would you recommend them over the ones the iPhone brings?

addy005

Bronze
Dec 10, 2007
Haha, I just got these about 3 days ago. They had these nice 50 dollar skull candy ones but I just bought the regular ear buds. They fit very nice after you cut them, which I did right away. They have great base and the earplugs itself blocks out A LOT of the outside noise. I would recommend these to anyone!

Oh and at FYE at our local mall, they were on sale for 9.99 with a 10% discount so I got them for 9.80!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The other thing is you lose the switch that the Apple buds use.

But I saw a thread here about 2 months ago with how to picks, whwere someone took the jvc buds and replaced them on the Apple and worked very well. It looked very easy. Sorry I do not have a link.

Gom33

Bronze
Nov 9, 2007
i did them to my skullcandy... sound is 10 times better than the stock earbuds!

i highly recommend doing this mod!

john7760

Dec 14, 2007
I use the Bose QC-3 headphones and they work awesome. I had to trim back a bit of the rubber around the jack, but other than that work like a charm. I use the Jawbone headset for calls.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I use the Bose QC-3 headphones and they work awesome. I had to trim back a bit of the rubber around the jack, but other than that work like a charm. I use the Jawbone headset for calls.
I have the jawbone, it is some staticcy, and drops the connection sometimes when the phone is in my pocket. Does this happen to you?

john7760

Dec 14, 2007
never had a glitch with it. No dropped calls and only if I am around other bluethooth devices do I get a very small amount of static. Light years better than the cvonnection on my Blackberry 8800

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
never had a glitch with it. No dropped calls and only if I am around other bluethooth devices do I get a very small amount of static. Light years better than the cvonnection on my Blackberry 8800

Thanks, I love it because of the noise cancel on it, I tested it by calling my answering machine while next to my gardener leaf blowing, and man it works.

But stactic and drop I described only happens once in a while, not always. Thanks

cmila23

Jul 25, 2008
I recommend the new full metal jacket headphones from skullcandy
they are iPhone compatible n sound as good as any of the other skullcandy buds