Skype and Soonr Problem

Gigstylez

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone got their soonr and skype working with their iPhone yet? My problem is when I log on soonr site with my phone then call someone, I get a return call with my phone number. I love skype and it works great via pc or mac but I can't get it to call someone else correctly with my phone. I was so close to having free voice minutes. Someone else have any success?

Check this link for more info on skype with iPhone.
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/skype/skype-on-iphone.asp

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
They lost me in their long explanation of how it works with Skype, but I do remember them saying it required two Skype accounts. Are you running it through two Skype accounts?

Jim

Gigstylez

Jul 10, 2007
I'm using only one account. Where does it say that that you must use two accounts? If so, that means you have pay for two just to voip? That's double the charge just to talk.

Cash

Jul 5, 2007
I'm lost here.

1.download and install Soonr

2.make a Soonr account

3.run Soonr program and Skype

4.leave your PC working

5.Login to soonr.com on your iPhone

6.Make calls

I was able to make calls using Wifi and EDGE

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I'm lost here.

1.download and install Soonr

2.make a Soonr account

3.run Soonr program and Skype

4.leave your PC working

5.Login to soonr.com on your iPhone

6.Make calls

I was able to make calls using Wifi and EDGE

It all works for me up until I make a call. I am connected through my iPhone, my computer is connected BUT all the talking gets done through my computer, ie the person on the other sides voice is going through my computer speakers and I can talk to them through my computer mic, the iPhone has some call going but is jut dead air.

Gigstylez

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone with success? I heard that you need 2 skypes account. I still don't understand why im hearing myself and on the skype screen it says calling my own number.

Jul 18, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Using Skype on the iPhone

Hello, I am one of the folks at SoonR. We have been testing extensively with the iPhone and have noticed the behavior you described in some specific cases. I am going to try and list what we know and see if they remedy your problem.

First, are you using this with Windows or a Mac?

Windows:
Check which version of SoonR Desktop Client you have. To find out, double click on the SoonR Desktop agent and choose the "Help | About" to see the version number. The most current version ends in .294.

If you do NOT have .294, then the easiest fix for you is to use the normal SoonR UI on the iPhone and NOT the full AJAX interface. To do this, you need to tap the "settings" option on the SoonR home screen on the iPhone. The only option you will see is the "use classic ui" . Tap on it. That's it. Try the SoonR Talk again and it should work.

If you want to get the most recent version, Goto the SoonR website and download and reinstall the SoonR Desktop Agent. You will get the most recent version. Normally, we'll send a little prompt to your desktop agent to tell you to upgrade. In this case, the fix really only affects iPhone users, and we don't know who those are yet so we can't target them. Anyway, install the new version and try it again. It should work fine. I use this version on my Vista PC and it's fine.

Mac Users:
Check the version of Skype that you have installed. You need to have version 2.6. Now notice that I am referring to the version of Skype, not SoonR. We have noticed weird behavior when trying to interact with older versions of Skype. If you install 2.6 and give it a shot, it should work.

For all you iPhone users out there, we've done a lot of special things to make the iPhone experience very good. If you used SoonR before, I think you'll spot a lot of the tweaks we made to make it especually good for iPhone.

Let me know how it all goes.

Song
Guy from SoonR

Jun 30, 2007
soonr not working on iPhone

i installed the newest version of soonr on my laptop but when i try to login from my iPhone it defaults to the login screen. this happens every time i try to login. can you help?

john
soonr username octane

Hello, I am one of the folks at SoonR. We have been testing extensively with the iPhone and have noticed the behavior you described in some specific cases. I am going to try and list what we know and see if they remedy your problem.

First, are you using this with Windows or a Mac?

Windows:
Check which version of SoonR Desktop Client you have. To find out, double click on the SoonR Desktop agent and choose the "Help | About" to see the version number. The most current version ends in .294.

If you do NOT have .294, then the easiest fix for you is to use the normal SoonR UI on the iPhone and NOT the full AJAX interface. To do this, you need to tap the "settings" option on the SoonR home screen on the iPhone. The only option you will see is the "use classic ui" . Tap on it. That's it. Try the SoonR Talk again and it should work.

If you want to get the most recent version, Goto the SoonR website and download and reinstall the SoonR Desktop Agent. You will get the most recent version. Normally, we'll send a little prompt to your desktop agent to tell you to upgrade. In this case, the fix really only affects iPhone users, and we don't know who those are yet so we can't target them. Anyway, install the new version and try it again. It should work fine. I use this version on my Vista PC and it's fine.

Mac Users:
Check the version of Skype that you have installed. You need to have version 2.6. Now notice that I am referring to the version of Skype, not SoonR. We have noticed weird behavior when trying to interact with older versions of Skype. If you install 2.6 and give it a shot, it should work.

For all you iPhone users out there, we've done a lot of special things to make the iPhone experience very good. If you used SoonR before, I think you'll spot a lot of the tweaks we made to make it especually good for iPhone.

Let me know how it all goes.

Song
Guy from SoonR

Jul 18, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
More information please

You indicated that it defaults to the login screen. Nothing else happens in between?

If your login was invalid, you would get a message that you have to respond to before it goes back to the screen for you to try again.

If you are just getting the screen again, it sounds like it's just reloading and didn't think you typed anything.

If you can provide more detail, I can be of help. I can't reproduce what you are describing. Well, unless I type nothing and just reload the page.

Jun 30, 2007
ok I will try to login again and see what happens . I will write you back soon. Ok, just tried again and same problem. When i try to login with correct user and pw and hit go, it defalts to login screen as if I never tried to login at all. Does not show my user name or tell me pw incorrect.
You indicated that it defaults to the login screen. Nothing else happens in between?

If your login was invalid, you would get a message that you have to respond to before it goes back to the screen for you to try again.

If you are just getting the screen again, it sounds like it's just reloading and didn't think you typed anything.

If you can provide more detail, I can be of help. I can't reproduce what you are describing. Well, unless I type nothing and just reload the page.

Jul 18, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Eliminating authentication issues

Just for an experiment, login with the following credentials.

Username: guest
Password: demo66

Do you get into the demo account?
BTW, I just tried this on my iPhone running version .294 of the agent and it worked fine.

If you got in, then it's not an authentication problem.

If you are not able to get in, then we have to look elsewhere. Tell me what you see and we'll go from there.

Jul 18, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
You need to finish the process.

You need to answer the call to your mobile phone.

This is how SoonR Talk is supposed to work.

1. On your phone you log in and goto SoonR Talk
2. Find the person you want to call and click on the call option.
3. SoonR will instruct Skype on your PC to call YOUR mobile phone.
4. ANSWER the incoming call.
5. When SoonR detects that you have picked up, it will tell Skype on your desktop to call the other person. When they answer you will placed in a 3 way conference call.

Basically you will be in a 3 way conference, except that your desktop is just acting as an operator bridge.

Let it run it's course and let me know if it works.

Gigstylez

Jul 10, 2007
You need to answer the call to your mobile phone.

This is how SoonR Talk is supposed to work.

1. On your phone you log in and goto SoonR Talk
2. Find the person you want to call and click on the call option.
3. SoonR will instruct Skype on your PC to call YOUR mobile phone.
4. ANSWER the incoming call.
5. When SoonR detects that you have picked up, it will tell Skype on your desktop to call the other person. When they answer you will placed in a 3 way conference call.

Basically you will be in a 3 way conference, except that your desktop is just acting as an operator bridge.

Let it run it's course and let me know if it works.
Then what's the purpose of using skype on your phone? If I answer a call then it would be using my peak time minutes. The purpose of having skype is being able to talk freely on your mobile phone without taking minutes away. Might as well just make the call from my phone. It would be easier that way. And what's the point of having a conference call with your desktop when your desktop can't speak?

Jul 18, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
SoonR Talk is not for every call you make!

We developed SoonR Talk primarily for those people who make a lot of International calls. In fact, most Skype users are those that make International calls. Let me give you an example of why it might be good.

I use VerizonWireless. If I call Denmark directly, it costs me $1.23 a minute on my cell phone - regardless of my base calling plan.

If I sign up for their international plan, I have to pay $3.99 a month fee and then I have to pay about $0.23 a minute for the call. A lot better, but still expensive.

With SoonR Talk, I get to pay the SKypeOut of $0.02 cents a minute. That is ten times cheaper than using a direct call.

OK, you right that it used minutes from my included 1,000 or so minutes fromt he monthly voice plan that I have to pay for whether I use them or not. Most people don't use up all their monthly minutes so the standard call fee is not an incremental cost.

For you, this may not be cost effective, but for many - it's great.

Why have a conference with your desktop? Dude, think about how the call is being bridged. How else could you leverage Skype without having a client on the phone? What you are not getting is that this is a 3 way conference call. Your phone, the person you are trying to call, and your desktop as the bridge. Since your desktop is just acting as a bridge, it gets muted.

Remember, SoonR is a service that connects your PC applications and data to your phone. Skype is another application on your desktop that we are surfacing on your phone. SoonR Talk is an example of an applicaiton that many people use on their desktop that they wish they could have on their phone. We tried to provide that.