Skype credit

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just installed Skype on my iPhone for the first time. I'm on WiFi and I used it to call my other cell phone, which does not have Skype on it an the call went through.

Skype to Skype is free, but not Skype to non-skype, so I should be charged for this call. How is it going to charge me since I have no skype credits and no credit card on file? Is it going to show up on my AT&T bill as a charge from Skype?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Still wondering about the above question, but I just noticed something interesting.

I have a 3G that is jailbroken and on T-Mobile and a 3GS that is stock with AT&T. Both are running 3.0.1 and I just installed Skype on both of them. When I initially opened Skype up on the 3G, I got a warning message that said that it will only work on unmodified iPhones running 2.2 or 3.0. I ignored the message, set it up and made a call to my other phone that went through. When I initially opened Skype on the 3GS, I did not get that warning message. I guess they can tell that the device is jailbroken?

Also, if you are calling Skype to Skype, can you just call the other persons regular cell number or do you have to call their online Skype number for it to not charge you for the call? Do you also have to an active online Skype number yourself?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I've yet to use Skype either and am curious about the charges for calls to non-skype numbers. Since you posted the question, I've been combing their website and don't understand how you made the initial call anyway unless they maybe give you credit when you first install. Have you checked your balance?

According to their website you either have to pay a subscription fee for unlimited calls to non-skype numbers or you can purchase skype credit.

As for your discovery, I think Apple can now tell if you've j/b or not but wonder how Skype would have access to that information.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I just installed Skype on my iPhone for the first time.

Skype to Skype is free, but not Skype to non-skype, so I should be charged for this call.
it has been a long time since I signed up with Skype but I think they give you a small credit ($2?) to get started. This would apply toward your Skype-Out calls to landlines/non-Skype numbers.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Also, if you are calling Skype to Skype, can you just call the other persons regular cell number or do you have to call their online Skype number for it to not charge you for the call? Do you also have to an active online Skype number yourself?
for free calls, you use their Skype ID..... usually you will put this in your Skype buddy-list and just select from there.

if you use their phone number, you have to pay Skype-Out charges. If they call you at your Skype phone number (this is called Skype-IN) you pay for this as well. You have to set this up in advance with Skype since it does cost extra.

If you want to use Skype on the iPhone, it does need to be running to receive calls so I find it somewhat impractical for getting calls to me via it.

so, for free calls out, just use their Skype ID. They, of course, must have Skype running on their computer at the time.......

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
You can also use skype to call fixed or mobile line all over the world. you can find the rate here.

I bought a $10 credit at Feb'09 and I used it to call my friend's mobile in china, Australia, and States. I still have $3.69 in my credit now.