Skype for the iPhone, iPod touch is finally here!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Taken from Wired.com. Skype on ipod touch/iPhone

My thoughts about this:

Skype is making a push to get their platform on the iPhone/ipod touch and blackberries (it'll be out tuesday). This could have masive potential IMO, b/c when traveling you wont have to pay roaming charges. All you'd need is a wifi connection to make a call. That said, The cost of owning an iPhone just got cut by 80% because now a person can buy the iPhone and just have it for the data instead of having minutes/messages. Get a skype number and use wifi to talk, or get skype creds (which are cheaper than most carriers) also skype has messaging.

You don't have to unlock if you intend to use the phone in another country for extended time and buy that countries carrier Simcard, get a skype number and either use wifi to talk (skype to skype) or buy skype creds to talk to other phones (which is dirt cheap).

Skype will open up oppourtunities for Ipod touch users, since you can make calls to either cellphones (with skype creds) or calls to skype numbers.
That said... Theres not really any more incentive (for some people) to own an iPhone because now you can have an ipod touch with no contract, and it can make calls/send messages granted your on wifi (which theres' plenty of free wifi now adays). I can see this happening for sure b/c the 2nd gen came with headphone/mic like the iPhone does.

I think the uses for skype is immense and it could easily become something serious against AT&T's iPhone monopoly OR major phone carriers. The threats are:

-No roaming charges if on wifi
-You can use an ipod touch (avoiding AT&T altogether) to make calls/messages get online through wifi. (great for those who cant qualify for an iPhone)
-Cost of maintaining the iPhone is cheaper b/c one could just buy the iPhone and opt to not have minutes (and text) but just have data only which kinda circumvents AT&T/carriers because Skype creds are cheaper and wifi/3g your always online.

We shall see, what are your thoughts?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Fring has been around for awhile with the same features. How is this better?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Because its skype directly from skype. I know about fring its alright. Im sure Skype will offer some features that Fring dosent or cant.

THEHNIC

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
CA
I installed this and it crashes every time I open it.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I cannot get it to work. When I try to make a call, I get the message that calls over 3G are not allowed, even though I am online (it says so in the info part of the app): is it possible that ATT is blocking it somehow?

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I just looked at the requirements and iTunes says it requires the 2.1 os update. I have 2.2, could this be the problem?

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I know that. What I cannot understand is that even though I was connected via wifi (I stated I was online, sorry if that didn't make it clear that I was wifi'ed) I was getting that message about 3G and that made no sense. For some reason Skype was not reading that I was online, why?

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
Where are you located? In the US, AT&T has blocked use of Skype on 3G: even the description of the app in iTunes notes that.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I cannot confirm if Fring works just over 3G on its own, as I've never tried it without voipover3g installed.

But a jailbroken iPhone with voipover3g installed (and configured) will allow you to use Fring (and soon Skype) over 3G. It tricks the phone into thinking you're running on WiFi, when you're actually using 3G.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I cannot confirm if Fring works just over 3G on its own, as I've never tried it without voipover3g installed.

But a jailbroken iPhone with voipover3g installed (and configured) will allow you to use Fring (and soon Skype) over 3G. It tricks the phone into thinking you're running on WiFi, when you're actually using 3G.
That's my setup.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
I do not have a jailbroken phone, and I have no interest in jailbreaking.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I just made 2 calls over edge :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Styfle - you're on 3.0 thought right? I think it's known that 3.0 is allowing calls over 3G as well, and many are guessing this is just an oversight in the beta and will get closed off soon enough.

For me, on a 3.0 phone, this app is not at all impressive so far. Very laggy, crashes often, many failed calls - generally not looking good. Is it much better than that on 2.2.1?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
If you are trying to use skype on a jailbroken iPhone you have to install the update that is on the main page of cydia it then will work with no problem

aky

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
i cannot even find the app in the app store says its not avail, any advice?

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
It's in the app store under social networking - just put Skype into the search box.

budsbava

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
I updated the mobile substrate from Cydia but still the skype application crashes..
Help me out :-(