Slider, Transparent Dock & Battery Hack with out Winterboard (?)

dice1976

Oct 1, 2008
NYC
Hey all...

So, I'm new to iPhone and hacking it- and I have noticed a ton of sluggishness with my iPhone after installing winterboard. I don't run the winterboard for any crazy overall themes. Currently I have been using winterboard for the following:
Akaline Energizer Battery hack
Slider Hack replacement
miwifi (colored wifi bars)
transparent dock (not sure if this slows things down)
no names under dock icons
black title bars (really slows things down)

So, my questions are.... is there anyway to do any of the above hacks without using winterboard? Say for instance I wanted to permantely replace the stock battery charging icon with the energizer battery without winterboard, would that be possible? If so, what needs to be done, and how would one go about changing any of the other items listed above.

Thanks so much... looking forawrd to hacking and reporting my findings on here with all your help

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think it would be possible through SSH, but I don't think it would be a very easy task.

It's probably worth the lag than replacing the files... Just my opinion though.

dice1976

Oct 1, 2008
NYC
I think it would be possible through SSH, but I don't think it would be a very easy task.

It's probably worth the lag than replacing the files... Just my opinion though.
Honestly, I'm quite comfortable with taking the hard route, if it would be replacing some files (jpgs, etc) and maybe fixing some source code... but the sluggishness of winterboard is starting to really irk me...

Is there any tutorials on how to edit these single items, i.e. lock screen battery hack, transparent dock, etc?

dice1976

Oct 1, 2008
NYC
So, I have since removed winterboard and replaced the following:

Slider - /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TelephonyUI.framework/ (replace 3 images bottombarknobgreen.png, bottombarknobgray.png, bottombarknobred.png) all taken from any winterboard theme or battery theme.

lock battery screen (17 images)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ (BatteryBG_(1 to 17).png

Wi-Fi Bars (8 images)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/FSO_(0 to 3)_AirPort.png (that's 0, 1, 2, 3)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_(0 to 3)_AirPort.png
Sms bubbles (I've got a blue sent bubble and a blue-green received)

I was looking to change to the "black status bars" but I am unable to figure out where to do that, plists file edit or copy a file somewhere. Any help would be awesome

This site seems to have a great list of all the iPhone directories and files to edit:
http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/inde..._and_locations

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Did you get a noticeable improvement on performance after removing winterboard?
Also did you leave it jailbroken? uninstall cydia as well or just winterboard?

dice1976

Oct 1, 2008
NYC
Did you get a noticeable improvement on performance after removing winterboard?
Also did you leave it jailbroken? uninstall cydia as well or just winterboard?
Huge noticeable improvement- I removed winterboard entirely. (Prior to removing winterboard and all the themes or items I wanted, I backed up the themes and/or icons, backgrounds, etc)

I have it jailbroken, and still have cydia among other hacks... sb settings, etc- and SMS, Mail, safari are all much quicker with out winterboard running in the background slowing it down (just to look cool)...

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
this is interesting. I will have to give this a try. Good find.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Is there a way to add wallpaper w/o winterboard?
I removed W/B and noticed improved speed as well. MIM and SBS both work great still as well as the mail & phone icons in the status bar. Also the att logo w the blue globe still is there.

All I would like is wallpaper behind the icons and maybe swap out a few icons.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
So, I have since removed winterboard and replaced the following:

Wi-Fi Bars (8 images)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/FSO_(0 to 3)_AirPort.png (that's 0, 1, 2, 3)
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_(0 to 3)_AirPort.png
Sms bubbles (I've got a blue sent bubble and a blue-green received)

[/URL]

Is that your colored signal bars? If so does that render color in both transparent and solid status bar modes?