Slight rattlling noise when shaken

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Actually it's really not so much of a rattling sound, but more like a metallic moving part sort of faint sound. Is that a problem or is it just like the iPhone 4 and is just the free moving gyroscope that you hear moving around which is normal? I was told in the past that the iPhone 4 produces that sound when shaken due it's free moving gyroscope and is completely normal. Does that apply to the 5 as well? Could it also be from the volume buttons moving around? Honestly though, it's not a big deal to me at all, I really could care less, I just wanna learn what it's about is all, my hunger to learn is never ending. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
All of my iPhones actually have done it. But this time I thought maybe it was the sim card as they had to replace my sim card that was originally in it when I received it. Thanks for posting this. :)

becomingwater

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Florida
My 5 does not do that. The only problem I have had so far is my USB cable died and i have very microscopic deformity on the side like everyone else is having but you don't notice it. I'm getting a USB cable over night from Apple

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
All of my iPhones actually have done it. But this time I thought maybe it was the sim card as they had to replace my sim card that was originally in it when I received it. Thanks for posting this. :)
I don't recall my other iPhones doing that, but that's most likely because I never shook them to listen for sounds like I have my 4 and 5. And you're welcome.

BeLikeTee

Sep 17, 2012
I've had my iPhone 4 for 2 years, and this was the first time I violently shook it near my ears. Why didn't I do that earlier?

There's a super faint tapping-like noise.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm glad you said this, and the topic was made to ask about it. Every time I heard it I think something may have not been put in properly in the iPhone.
I noticed it first on the iPhone 4 and freaked out, but after reading about it and calling Apple I came to the conclusion that I can have as many replacements as I want, it will most likely be there. Guess what, I shook every phone on display at the Apple store, plus my fiancée phone, co-workers, they all have the same rattle sound. You don't even need to shake it, just tap slowly around the camera and you'll hear it.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
As Bennyboy said, it's most likely the camera lens rattle that is associates with the camera lens upgrade introduced with the 4S.
You can confirm this by lightly tapping w/fingertips on the back near the top.
It's not a defect.....

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I noticed it first on the iPhone 4 and freaked out, but after reading about it and calling Apple I came to the conclusion that I can have as many replacements as I want, it will most likely be there. Guess what, I shook every phone on display at the Apple store, plus my fiancée phone, co-workers, they all have the same rattle sound. You don't even need to shake it, just tap slowly around the camera and you'll hear it.
See, that's unfortunate that it rattles. I'm sure Apple has gotten many complaints about this, or just being afraid that their iPhone is messed up.