Slight rattlling noise when shaken

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by ipod, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Actually it's really not so much of a rattling sound, but more like a metallic moving part sort of faint sound. Is that a problem or is it just like the iPhone 4 and is just the free moving gyroscope that you hear moving around which is normal? I was told in the past that the iPhone 4 produces that sound when shaken due it's free moving gyroscope and is completely normal. Does that apply to the 5 as well? Could it also be from the volume buttons moving around? Honestly though, it's not a big deal to me at all, I really could care less, I just wanna learn what it's about is all, my hunger to learn is never ending. Thanks.

2. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Heard its a loose battery

3. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Does yours do it? Do it in a quiet room and just shake it somewhat violently in all directions next to your ears, do you not hear it? It sounds like my iPhone 4 but not as bad.

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

My iPhone 5 does it, just as my iPhone 4 did. The loose battery is described as more of a "thud" sound inside the case when shaken.

5. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the confirmation, buddy.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

All of my iPhones actually have done it. But this time I thought maybe it was the sim card as they had to replace my sim card that was originally in it when I received it. Thanks for posting this. :)

7. becomingwater

becomingwater Member
    Bronze

My 5 does not do that. The only problem I have had so far is my USB cable died and i have very microscopic deformity on the side like everyone else is having but you don't notice it. I'm getting a USB cable over night from Apple

8. becomingwater

becomingwater Member
    Bronze

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Same.

10. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

I don't recall my other iPhones doing that, but that's most likely because I never shook them to listen for sounds like I have my 4 and 5. And you're welcome.

11. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I just shook every iPhone in my house (four total) and they all do it. It's just a very slight rattle if you shake it side to side that's isolated towards the top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. jon01

jon01 New Member

my wife's does, but mine is fine.

13. ipod

ipod Member
    Bronze

Sure.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

It's the camera lens, the one in the middle. The 4s did it too. Nothing to worry about.

15. BeLikeTee

BeLikeTee New Member

I've had my iPhone 4 for 2 years, and this was the first time I violently shook it near my ears. Why didn't I do that earlier?

There's a super faint tapping-like noise.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm glad you said this, and the topic was made to ask about it. Every time I heard it I think something may have not been put in properly in the iPhone.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I noticed it first on the iPhone 4 and freaked out, but after reading about it and calling Apple I came to the conclusion that I can have as many replacements as I want, it will most likely be there. Guess what, I shook every phone on display at the Apple store, plus my fiancée phone, co-workers, they all have the same rattle sound. You don't even need to shake it, just tap slowly around the camera and you'll hear it.

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Don't shake it!
    Reminds me of a story. A guy goes to the doctor. Says doctor it hurts when I do this. Doctor says don't do that.

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

As Bennyboy said, it's most likely the camera lens rattle that is associates with the camera lens upgrade introduced with the 4S.
    You can confirm this by lightly tapping w/fingertips on the back near the top.
    It's not a defect.....

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

See, that's unfortunate that it rattles. I'm sure Apple has gotten many complaints about this, or just being afraid that their iPhone is messed up.