Sling Player for iPhone confirmed and coming after SDK release, gizmodo article

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Woo! That's pretty exciting. Watching my sling player is the thing I missed the most when I got rid of my Blackjack. It was also on a tiny screen so it's going to be great watching it on the iPhone.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
just to confirm for you guys

[5:58 PM] Natalia says: Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support. My name is Natalia. How can I help you today?
[5:58 PM] First Name says: I just have a question...is there a sling player for the iPhone?
[6:00 PM] Natalia says: Hello. Unfortunately, Slingbox is not compatible with iPhone yet.
[6:01 PM] First Name says: yet? meaning there is one in the near future?
[6:01 PM] Natalia says: We suggest to consult with our website www.slingmedia.com for new advances.
[6:01 PM] Natalia says: We are working on it but there's not date yet.
[6:01 PM] Natalia says: Is there anything else that I can help you with?
[6:01 PM] First Name says: thats it, thank you

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Makes a lot of financial sense for them to have a slingplayer for the iPhone with the huge number already sold and will be for xmas. I am sure there hands were tied until Apple announced the SDK toolkit that I believe is going to be made available in Feb 2008? Of course now that Echostar is in the mix, no telling what will become of the sling service remaining free. Echostar knows a thing or two about monthly fees.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
But you would need WiFi for it to even begin to work right, right?
EDGE can handle about a 175k 320x240 "Stereo Low" presentation without skipping at about 90% signal strength.

No problems streaming via wifi.

But in all honesty, you would probably want to be on wifi when using the slingplayer.