slingbox and HSDPA? could it be?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
is there any chance that story on the front page of this website is legitimate? i know nothing is in stone here but slingbox support on the iPhone would be absolutely sick. and possible HSDPA? i don't even know what to say if those things came to life on the iPhone.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
If its posted on the front page, chances are it is true news. It may not be true(in the case of Battery Life lasting 40mins etc.) It IS real news. That was said but that may not be the battery life.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This is a legit story. That being said, the story is based upon quotes from the CEO of SlingMedia. He's love to add support for the iPhone because it would help drive sales of the SlingBox. As for HSDPA, Gizmodo and others have reported that a 3G iPhone was "in the works". I've also read a number of places where it was said the iPhone "could" support 3G. My thinking is they announced the iPhone in January. At that time, they gave an overview of the specs. I wouldn't surprised in the least if Steve Jobs announced a few new things when it is released. If it does release with EDGE support, then I'd doubt you'll see SlingBox support. SlingBox works great with EVDO (and it's safe to assume HSDPA), but I question the quality of the experience on EDGE. I've used MobiTV with EDGE and it suffered from buffering issues. SlingBox would most likely have the same issues (as evidenced by their lack of support for the Treo 680).

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
BTW, I recently purchased a SlingBox and love it. Very cool technology. I'm able to access my DirecTV Tivo from anywhere - no buffering issues and the video quality is surprising good.

I bought my first SlingBox last year (the original) and returned it since they didn't support the Mac. I was unimpressed with the mobile client. I'm happy to report that both are quite good. My second venture with the SlingBox has been a very positive experience.

-Chris

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
BTW, I recently purchased a SlingBox and love it. Very cool technology. I'm able to access my DirecTV Tivo from anywhere - no buffering issues and the video quality is surprising good.

I bought my first SlingBox last year (the original) and returned it since they didn't support the Mac. I was unimpressed with the mobile client. I'm happy to report that both are quite good. My second venture with the SlingBox has been a very positive experience.

-Chris

i couldn't agree more on both points, but that's why i'm happier about the possibility of 3g which not only would let us use slingbox, but also fast data speeds for web browsing. i too, would not want to use slingbox on edge. my friends have it however, and it is a very very cool piece of technology. i know future iPhones will have 3g, but here's to hoping that the 1st gen iPhone does. even though it is not widely available yet, it's still a shame if it's not included. that being said, however, if jobs does announce that the iPhone will support 3g the anticipation will go through the roof, if it already hasn't......