Slingplayer makes debut on iPhone

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I assume you'll need a Slingbox. It ranges from $179.99 to $299.99.

I'm also assuming the app will not be free. Maybe $9.99 or more?

I wonder if the performance will be any better than Orb/Orblive? With Orb, performance may be affected by the computer you are using. At least for Slingbox there's consistent hardware.

I don't think I'll plunk down $200+ to get this going.

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008

I wonder if the performance will be any better than Orb/Orblive? With Orb, performance may be affected by the computer you are using. At least for Slingbox there's consistent hardware.

I don't think I'll plunk down $200+ to get this going.

yes i don't know if i want to sell out that much money when i have orb...
200 to 300 bux is a lot for the equipment. but apparently the demo shown awhile back when slingmedia first demonstrated their equipment on the iPhone 3g was AMAZING. like the quality was practically flawless

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Very true. It does however seem like at least the ball is rolling and we've gotten another announcement about it. It had been months since any kind of update.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If...

Apple is getting a track record of saying nay to a number of potentially exciting apps.
Has a product demo'd at MacWorld ever been rejected? I know Apple does not put on the MacWorld expo but I would almost think that Sling Media would not even demo it if they knew there was a possibility that it couldn't make the App Store.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Has a product demo'd at MacWorld ever been rejected? I know Apple does not put on the MacWorld expo but I would almost think that Sling Media would not even demo it if they knew there was a possibility that it couldn't make the App Store.
Nobody truly knows how an app finally makes it through the pearly gates. Or, why some apps flagrantly disregard app store requirements and still get released.

I sense an X-file here.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have been researching this for a long time now... and after my research, i have been led to the conclusion that it is NOT Apple OR ATT that was preventing this app from coming to iPhone. It's Sling. They've been an approved developer since at least september '08, and are JUST now getting a "functional version" ready for submission. If it WAS Apple or ATT causing the hold-up, the app would be solid as a rock, and in the App Store NOW.

Apple and ATT are clearly not opposed to media-streaming apps since Orb has been approved.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not true. this summer at WWDC they demonstrated their "proof of concept" that was developed for Jailbroken iPhones. They knew full-well that it would never be approved (in fact, frowned-upon) by Apple.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

All of sling's slingplayers are free, and i don't see why they would change. Of course, stranger things have happened.

minimalposter

Nov 18, 2007
All of sling's slingplayers are free, and i don't see why they would change. Of course, stranger things have happened.
Actually Slingplayer software for PC and Mac has always been free. Slingplayer for mobile devices has always cost $$$ except when the program was in beta. I purchased mobile app for palm and the ability to use my slingbox is one reason I kept my Treo and purchased an ipod touch instead of an iPhone.

Right now it is $29.99 for slingplayer mobile on other platforms

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
I would think that ATT would put some sort of restriction or additional "Fee" on this as there would be tons of data flowing across the network. I would hope not but I would not rule this out.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They don't restrict Orb at all, so i don't see that happening. Even if they do, they should allow unlimited streaming over wifi, which is really all i need.

I really don't think Apple or ATT are the bad guys (at least in this case). I just think Sling has problems developing for the Mac platform.