Slingplayer makes debut on iPhone

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I assume you'll need a Slingbox. It ranges from $179.99 to $299.99.

I'm also assuming the app will not be free. Maybe $9.99 or more?

I wonder if the performance will be any better than Orb/Orblive? With Orb, performance may be affected by the computer you are using. At least for Slingbox there's consistent hardware.

I don't think I'll plunk down $200+ to get this going.
I'm with this. Obviously, I've invested some $$ and time into my Orb setup, but all-told, I got it all running for about $120. Does slingbox do anything other than TV? I enjoy having all my media available all the time.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it will stream any video source (as long as it's RCA or Component). A "solo" will do one device at a time, and the "pro" box can switch between 3 devices.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'm with this. Obviously, I've invested some $$ and time into my Orb setup, but all-told, I got it all running for about $120. Does slingbox do anything other than TV? I enjoy having all my media available all the time.
Doesn't orb give you access to all your media on your HDD: music, videos, documents?

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
it will stream any video source (as long as it's RCA or Composite). A "solo" will do one device at a time, and the "pro" box can switch between 3 devices.
The new PRO unit has component as well, and also USB, and can connect to Apple TV and Windows Media Center.

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
will definitely get this once, and IF it comes out lol.

i can just sell my tuner for orb. it's serving me well so far

3 things that has me sold:

1) stable connection because of consistent hardware
2) DVR functionality. i love watching my recorded shows :)
3) i don't have to leave my computer on!

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
I am going to have to look into the SLINGBOX thing. I am using DirecTV, and if I could get it working then I may go this route. Although I LOVE the fact that ORB can allow you to view anything on your HDD to include documents, if I could watch my beloved REDSOX at anytime from the iPhone I may go this route.

Still waiting for this to pan out before I decide on ORB or Sling.....heck...I may even do both!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on getting a TiVo and a Slingbox once I know for sure that the app comes out on the iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
this will be glorious... once it comes out, i'm hookin up my AppleTV, and Satellite to my slingbox again. I haven't had to use it in a while...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How do you control all these sources that you hook up to slingbox? Does it use IR repeaters? How would you run things from AppleTV?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's all within the slingplayer app. The slingbox has IR blasters, and the app has a database full of various remotes and commands.