chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/12510.cfm

from another post they say no...

Well im not going to get my hopes up but it could happen
An EDGE connection coupled with the size of the iPhone screen make it highly unlikely. I do thing Sling would love to develop an iPhone app and will once the SDK is released. However, I'd bet they wait for 3G before releasing.

I have Slingbox and love it. Having used it on EVDO devices, I can say that I doubt EDGE could support it. In fact I don't believe they support the Palm EDGE devices --- ie, Treo 680, but I might be wrong.

-Chris

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
i contacted slingmedia months ago about this...they told me it is in the works and should be out by Feb! There was a post i started months ago about this...lets hope its true!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i contacted slingmedia months ago about this...they told me it is in the works and should be out by Feb! There was a post i started months ago about this...lets hope its true!
there was also a post in the last day or so with a link saying those rumors were bogus. so who knows...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There's a Wi-Fi only iTunes store, right? So why not a Wi-Fi only Slingbox? I would enjoy it greatly.

- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I absolutely love my Slingbox and having an app to use it on the phone would be nothing short of awesome. I don't think I could take it on EDGE because I used the SlingPlayer on the Samsung Blackjack I had and even on that 3G the picture quality was still a bit off, and that display was much smaller.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I Goggled this Slingobx and wiki'd it, but I still do not understand how this works. You can watch your TV on your computer or your phone...I need that for my iPhone. Anyone more tech savvy than me, I would appreciate a run-down on how this is possible.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I Goggled this Slingobx and wiki'd it, but I still do not understand how this works. You can watch your TV on your computer or your phone...I need that for my iPhone. Anyone more tech savvy than me, I would appreciate a run-down on how this is possible.
You have the right idea. It will placeshift your home tv(entire station lineup) and even tivo or dvds to an internet capable device(pc, smartphone etc.). Then you install the slinbox software to the device of your choice and you use the minaturized app(for cell phones) for channel selection. There is also software for your computer so you can view from there too.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it basically sends your tv signal out through your internet connection. With your password and access to the internet you would be able to watch (and control) it anywhere.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am restating in my own words to make sure I understand: Your TV is connected to the internet via your cable modem. Then with the proper software and hardware you tap into your TV via the internet and watch from your PC or phone.

That KICKS! Oh my. I think my heart skipped a beat. Is it expensive?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you've got the general idea. the only cost involved is the slingbox itself (hardware that connects your video device to computer), which, depending on the connections you need, cost between $130 and $250.

no subscriptions or anything like that.