Slow WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KTran, Jun 16, 2008.

1. KTran

KTran New Member
    Bronze

I've searched for other threads but nothing relevant came up but I know I've seen those threads. Here's my story :

Wifi has slowed down dramatically to the point edge is faster. I would sit two feet from Linksys wireless N router and speed would not increase.
    Every time I have a problem , I'd turn phone off and on but most times it doesn't work.
    This phone probably crapping out now. From the looks of viewing past threads , lots of people have same problems. I'm thinking iPhone starting to be worthless.

Anybody have ideas to improve wifi? This is annoying. Although I'm making use of my twenty bucks a month but thas besides the point. Please help !

2. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Try resetting your linksys. There should be a button in the back that youre supposed to hold for 30 seconds.
    If that doesn't work, you can always try restoring the phone.

3. KTran

KTran New Member
    Bronze

I've thought bout that but two laptops are not affected consistently as da iPhone was.

4. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Then try going into general and reset and reset all settings. If it still doesn't work, then you should consider restoring.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

how many other wifi networks have you tried?

and it couldn't hurt resetting your router.

6. KTran

KTran New Member
    Bronze

This phone has connected to multiple networks and continue having same crawling behavior. I want to say its da phone and not my home router.

Also I just removed a couple apps yesterday and remember a pop up stating phone memory is low. Maybe deleting those might free up memory allowing better wifi ? Just a thought. I'll be monitoring performance as always.

7. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Well, bottom line, if none of this works, the best thing to do would probably be restore, and set up as a new phone.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Before that, go to settings, general, reset.... and do a "reset network settings" and see if that helps.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

No, that shouldn't really affect it (at least it didn't for me when I ran in to that problem). That has to do with your application partition filling up on the iPhone from too many apps. The app partition is only 300MB so it's easy to fill. Download and use Bosstools... it's made for this situation. Move your fonts and ringtones first and that should free you up for a while.

10. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

I said reset all settings, but I meant network settings, but its covered in all so same thing, lol.

11. iLLGT2

iLLGT2 New Member
    Bronze

Just a little update, my wifi is slow as hell still even after 2.1 upgrade. The typing is slow on wifi also and crashes safari, crazy! 3g however got blazing fast!

12. ldivinag

ldivinag New Member
    Bronze

i think the WIFI radio on the iPhones are wifi B...

or just maybe the slow processor.

13. memnautikus

memnautikus Member
    Bronze

I got a 10 Mbps. I got wireless router. My problem is I can't ever get YouTube to download the entire video. Always stops halfway. Also when surfing, I get kicked off to home. I didn't press the home button. It just kicks me off. Can someone tell me what Should I do. ?

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

do these problems happen if you're just using EDGE or 3G?

15. memnautikus

memnautikus Member
    Bronze

happens only on wifi. With edge YouTube is fine. But I do get kicked off the same.

16. memnautikus

memnautikus Member
    Bronze

man! I keep getting that black screen everytime I'm on safari. I just read that iPhones are having a lot of those problems.

17. KTran

KTran New Member
    Bronze

oh great ... Put me down too. YouTube is very slow. My first gen download videos with ease.
    This 3g is not even close. Actually 3g speed is quicker!

18. KTran

KTran New Member
    Bronze

i forgot i had this thread.

just upgraded to 3g bout three weeks ago and its doing the same thing.
    phone is connected in wifi networks and is not utilized in applications.
    happens in many places: home, starbucks, offices, friend's house, and other friend's houses.
    have not restored but have forget network. dun think i ever reset settings on phone or router.

19. Usernam

Usernam Member
    Bronze

So, my wifi works perfectly during the day. The Internet speed is good. However , after about 6:00 pm the Internet becomes really slow, and sometimes I cannot connect at all. I then go to speed test, check the speed, and it seems really slow. Then I go to change the server from Modesto to Los angeles or some other server, and the Internet is fine. Are there any explanations for this?

20. conan1314

conan1314 New Member

Yes the problem is so many people are trying to get online it will slow everything down. The only thing you could try is getting better Internet but will cost more.