Slow WiFi

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Plug your modem into your computer hardwired and see if you have the same speeds. If you do then you know it's your crappy internet instead of your crappy router. ;-)

Lephelps78

Bronze
Sep 17, 2012
Can someone please explain why this is happening? I am not having the WiFi connection issues like others are, but when i am connected to WiFi it is VERY slow and sometimes wont even load anything. Helllllp lol

Thanks in advance !
Lee

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Can someone please explain why this is happening? I am not having the WiFi connection issues like others are, but when i am connected to WiFi it is VERY slow and sometimes wont even load anything. Helllllp lol

Thanks in advance !
Lee
I have had the same slowness when running off of the 5GHz band... I've had much better results on the 2.4GHz band...

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
What does this mean? How do you change that? Is it a setting someplace?
It's a router setting... Well, a type of router rather than a setting, but many routers feature both bands ("dual-band" routers), and it's up to you to set each band up individually and determine which band your Wi-Fi devices are using. You have to run your router software, or log into it via your web browser (refer to your router's user guide for instructions on how to do this). Find out if you're on the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz band (on Linksys routers, it's under Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings).

For me, on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0, I'm getting much higher speeds on the 2.4 GHz band than on the 5 GHz. Your results may vary.

Reactions: iP5

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just curious but are you close to your router when you're connected to wifi? If I am further away my i5 will switch between wifi & LTE causing pages to lag. Just a thought

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Here is my spin and experience on this. The 2.4 gz channel is a " stronger" channel in regard to signal strength. It has longer range and goes through obstructions usually better than the 5.0 band. However 2.4 band is the most widely used. As a result the interference from other devices using 2.4 gz as well as about every wireless router ever made can and does cause performance issues. I have a Verizon Fios router broadcasting on 2.4 gz. I was experiencing performance issues based on the location of the unit ( no choice) and the many other 2.4 gz users in my household and sorounding area. I just found a blog on how to add another router to my setup. I added a wireless N router. I have my iPhone 5 and pad 3 ( both 5 gz capable ) on the 5 gz channel and all other users on 2.4 gz. Also none of my neighbors are using 5.0 gz. My performance on all devices are vastly improved. Keep in mind your results can and will vary.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'd like to see what kinds of speeds you guys are getting over WiFi. Download SpeedTest (which is free) and share them here. Here's mine:
speeds.jpg

I'm using an Airport Extreme router.

Last edited:

Lephelps78

Bronze
Sep 17, 2012
Ok... This is really getting frustrating! I am at my in laws and i can "join" their WiFi but it is almost worthless! I am trying to install the speedtest app and it's a lost cause.

So, i am guessing it will be this way with ALL routers that run on 5GHZ?!?! My router at home runs 2.4 and is fine. @&$#

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
The 5 gz band is very iffy sometimes. My iPad and iPhone always try to default back to my 2.4 band if they leave the network and return. I was considering telling these 2 devices to forget the 2.4 band so it defaults to 5. A little risky. By the way I assume the devices you are trying to connect to 5gz support that band?

Lephelps78

Bronze
Sep 17, 2012
The 5 gz band is very iffy sometimes. My iPad and iPhone always try to default back to my 2.4 band if they leave the network and return. I was considering telling these 2 devices to forget the 2.4 band so it defaults to 5. A little risky. By the way I assume the devices you are trying to connect to 5gz support that band?
I have an ip5 and it will connect to my in laws router, my office router, and a friends router, they are all
5GHZ routers BUT the speeds are worthless! Now at my house i have an old 2.4GHZ router and the speeds are perfect!

So i can pretty much forget about using wifi on any 5GHZ connection...

This is for the birds!

Lephelps78

Bronze
Sep 17, 2012
5ghz isn't gonna run any faster.

Read above!

Im not looking for more speed with 5GHZ. My phone wont even install an app while running on 5GHZ!

What i am saying is... Say i walk into a starbucks for example, and they run their network on 5GHZ i will not be able to use their wifi! The phone just will not operate on a 5GHZ wireless connection.