slowdown after 3.0 upgrade

Jul 17, 2009
hollywood
have you guys experienced a slow down with your phone after upgrading to the 3.0?

has formatting the phone fixed this problem?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
There's a lot of people on the same boat. Many say that 3.0 is actually optimized for the 3GS, which I think is true because it handles it flawlessly.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I agree that its optimized. I have a few friends with the phone and it doesn't lag at all. It really makes me want a 3GS.

Jul 17, 2009
hollywood
don't u have a feeling it's a conspiracy... they give you the upgrade knowing it will cause problems and of course we want to buy a new phone... i normally always buy the new products immediately but this time i'm just not that motivated to buy it..

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I'm sure they will solve some of the problems with a future update. The same thing happened when 2.0 was released. It was buggy as hell. 2.21 was perfect for me. Wish I had stuck with it for a while longer until Apple put out 3.01

apple718

Bronze
May 27, 2009
my service sucks with the 3.0 has anyone experienced that?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Yeah.. I don't think Apple purposely made it that laggy so that people buy the 3GS. I'm sure a lot of those bugs will be gone in 3.1. All these bugs always happen in a big update like 3.0 is.

Mar 2, 2009
California
iPhone may be a great device but it would be even BETTER without lag. I don't care if you have 3GS or not.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I find 3.0 to be the most stable of all the revisions. I don't notice much lag however, the lag I do have I attribute solely to the jailbreak. I was in the Apple store the other day and played around with the new 3GS and that thing is very fast compared to the 3G. Still doesn't make me want the S as I am going to be patient and wait until next summer to see what Apple has in store for us. My upgrade eligibility date is in September. I hope I don't get tempted!

atompunk

Jul 19, 2009
Got the speed back up

I did some research and found the solution online to regain speed.

http://keyboarderworld.com/kbl/?p=153

check it out!

I was scared to try but then realized that Itune has a restore and a backup point. So no risk trying it.

Let me know if this work for you guys and if you have question ask away.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I did some research and found the solution online to regain speed.

http://keyboarderworld.com/kbl/?p=153

check it out!

I was scared to try but then realized that Itune has a restore and a backup point. So no risk trying it.

Let me know if this work for you guys and if you have question ask away.
I really don't see how that would fix lag permanently. I believe the lag is based more on the hardware and memory specs, more than just clearing settings.

You have to remember the iPhone is a mini computer, and in order for it and any other PC / Mac to run properly, it has to have enough memory and contain a fast enough processor. Without that the system will just run like crap no matter what you try and do to it.

I'll definitely give it a try when needed, although I doubt it will do much.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
I thought it was just my perception, but the phone does feel a bit slower with 3.0.

Two places that I notice it being slower. If I open an app immediately following the closing of another. The next app is really slow to load. Its as if there is some residual activity after closing the first app. Perhaps its flushing swap memory or something.

Also entering the first character or two of a text message or search will be laggy. It takes a moment for the phone to catch up. :D

atompunk

Jul 19, 2009
That's what I felt also. Lagging letters while typing was killing me! My friend and I started thinking conspiracy! That maybe Apple intentionally slowed down the 3g to make the 3gs seem even faster! But lagging letters...I'm sure it wouldn't be accepted by Apple standards. I was thinking that Apple will fix this in a patch release or something...but I got impatient and started looking for solution.

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
My phone was DEFINITELY slower! took a long time for a keyboard to pop up, and when I hit the home button, there was a long pause then the home screen appeared right away, instead of the familiar "zoom" effect. I recently did a restore from iTunes, and that seems to make a big difference. Try it and see what you think.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I had to restore to get things back to normal. I tried that method above or "restore settings" but all it did was put my phone back to stock without an actual restore.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I ended up restoring as a new phone last night. Yesterday the battery just started draining crazy fast. It was almost dead by 2PM with 2 1/2 hours use. This happened to me before witht he 2.1 update and I ended up getting a new iPhone from Apple. Anyway, the restore has worked very well so far. Everything is snappy again like it was before I updated to 3.0. Still having some issues with wifi connectivity.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I just want the battery % indicator without having to jailbreak. That's all I care for right now.