Small company "6S Marketing" wants Apple not to use "6s" name for upcoming smartphone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

A small ad agency in New York consisting of only 35 people suddenly thinks they can persuade Apple not to use "6s" as the model name of their upcoming iPhone.

They've launched what seems like—for a company of their size—a somewhat costly campaign to state their case, including going as far as renting several billboards, one in New York City's Times Square.

If they're just starting this campaign now, then something tells me they've waited way too long, for many iPhones already bearing the name "6s" are likely in existence somewhere in China, hibernating quietly in their boxes, in eager anticipation of deployment.

6smarketingtimessquarebillboard-800x533.jpg

IMG_28742-1000x625.jpg

2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

A marketing company? I wouldn't hire them simply because they've overlooked this (obvious) issue for years apparently, and for failing to understand that the name of a marketing company being the same as an Apple hardware device is not likely to cause confusion for in the marketplace (the typical test for TM issues).

On secont thought, maybe they are geniuses, and have waited for this moment to launch what could be a very effective marketing campaign, with no real desire to have Apple change anything, but simply to get their name in the news. Hmmm Genius.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

True… if it weren't for the iPhone 6s, then I, and thousands of others who read the story on tech sites today, would probably have never heard of this tiny company.

They are just riding Apple's coattails.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They've had their name since the year 2000. They chose it because it sounds like "success."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

If you'll recall, Cisco and Apple battled over the name "iPhone." Cisco never pursued their iPhone after that.

I side with Rafagon, it's genius for this little company.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I didn't think like that. Makes sense. I like it. :)

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

And they came to an agreement to allow Apple to use Cisco's iOS software name as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Smart ad campaign. Probably a pretty big expenditure for that company.

9. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

That campaign has received a plethora of media coverage. The more I see it, the more I think it's pure genius. They capitalized on the opportunity.

I'm sure it was expensive, but you can't really measure the return on the press coverage.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think genius is the right word. It's not that difficult to predict how it would play it for them. I'm sure they've been planning it since the 4S.

11. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Smart: parking outside an Apple Store in NYC. Great visibility.
    Dumb: being outside an Apple Store but not being on Apple's side. You know how fanboys can get...