Small Cracks

I know this HAS been discussed on other threads. I just noticed 5 small cracks on the back of my white iPhone. When I run my fingernail over the crack, you can definitely feel that it's a crack and not a "strand" image in the plastic. Here's my question. Do I travel 6 hours to a mac store to exchange, or go to my local ATT store? Should I worry about this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
AT&T won't replace it... you have to go to an Apple store or mail it in to them. Whether or not that is worth it to you is going to have to be a personal decision. Good luck!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just noticed some cracks on my black 3G which aren't making me too happy. I still have a gap between the bezel and screen so I'm just going to wait until the cracks get a bit worse and Apple has had a chance to fix the issue of the bezel alignment.

I just noticed some cracks on my black 3G which aren't making me too happy. I still have a gap between the bezel and screen so I'm just going to wait until the cracks get a bit worse and Apple has had a chance to fix the issue of the bezel alignment.
is the crack big enough to where little particles get stuck in between the screen and the bezel? because thats how mine is, but i thought thats how all the iPhones were...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
is the crack big enough to where little particles get stuck in between the screen and the bezel? because thats how mine is, but i thought thats how all the iPhones were...
This is actually my 2nd iPhone 3G with the issue. The first one I got on iDay 2 and I returned it the following Friday because there was a HUGE gap between the bezel and screen and I was afraid of stuff getting down into the void. My current iPhone has a similar gap and I plan on getting it replaced somewhat soon. If you think your bezel fitment isn't to your standards then I would definitely take it to Apple and ask for a replacement.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Go to Apple or ATT if thats closer. I don't think it matters. Certainly does NOT matter if you purchased the phone at an att store. No way in hell would they turn you down if you got it there. If not, I feel as if your best bet is to go to the Apple store personally. Att isn't known for their customer service BUT if the phone was purchased on their property...and you're still within warranty, they have NO choice but to appease you....

Good luck...hope you don't have to drive but even if you do, you'll get a shiny new phone one way or another..............

Go to Apple or ATT if thats closer. I don't think it matters. Certainly does NOT matter if you purchased the phone at an att store. No way in hell would they turn you down if you got it there. If not, I feel as if your best bet is to go to the Apple store personally. Att isn't known for their customer service BUT if the phone was purchased on their property...and you're still within warranty, they have NO choice but to appease you....

Good luck...hope you don't have to drive but even if you do, you'll get a shiny new phone one way or another..............
yes i had went to my local att store and they said they don't handle replacements even though i was still within the 14 days... so im hoping to go to the thousand oaks Apple store within the month and yes a new shiny iPhone! and then to jailbreak it again sheesh lol

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes i had went to my local att store and they said they don't handle replacements even though i was still within the 14 days... so im hoping to go to the thousand oaks Apple store within the month and yes a new shiny iPhone! and then to jailbreak it again sheesh lol

That's strange. I guess it's up to the store as to what to do. I returned two v1's a year ago and one 3g recently at my local AT&T store here in Savannah.

Southern hospitality, I guess.

bmargolis

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Interesting thread. I noticed a tiny crack today in the white plastic right around the sound on/off switch. This concerns me greatly, as I don't want it to lead to a bigger crack, or others elsewhere on the case.

I assumed that Apple would not replace for this but I'll give it a shot nex time I'm there.

jmartin

Aug 11, 2008
6 hours would be my guess. I had a problem with how my phone was working and ATT said they did not handle ANY phone problems and to go to Apple. Good luck.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I've got a series of stress cracks on my black iPhone and i was debating weather or not to exchange this phone, but i haven't done it yet. The cracks are at the headphone jack and near the silent vibrate switch. I had a protective shield on it, Clearprotector, and the crack at the silent vibrate switch appeared under it way after i applied the shield. I went to the Apple store in SoHo two weeks ago during that heavy rain we had out here and they told me i had to make an appointment to get the phone replaced. They wouldn't budge and just do it when i was there, even after my husband explained we live in New Jersey and this is a treck for us that we can only make on the weekend and since we were there (buying a speaker for the iPhone) why can't we just get this done now. They didn't budge. Anyway, I decided, this is my phone, with the cracks and I'll keep it until it starts to get worse and cause issues. Until then me and the cracked iPhone are friends till the end!

gadha

Mar 25, 2008
Do they ask you for any info when you go to the Apple store? I got my iPhone 3g from a random guy. But it is activated legitimately.

Will I be able to get my phone replaced?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I don't mean to bust your bubble but Apple wont give you a brand new iPhone, you will get a refurbished one of the same colour and same memory size.

I don't mean to bust your bubble but Apple wont give you a brand new iPhone, you will get a refurbished one of the same colour and same memory size.
yes i figured that much... thats what happened with my v1... i got a refurb... the genius lied to me and said i was so lucky because i received a brand new iPhone... but i knew it was a refurb...

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
What happens with people taking their version 1's back now since they don't make them anymore? I would think it strange for Apple to just upgrade them to a 3g, do they still have refurbished ones laying around?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yep.

so who's happy that Apple went with plastic casing for "better reception" now?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey

"Aww! Dag on it! I was told by a rep on the phone and at the Apple Soho store I would be getting a brand new one. I don't want a refurb at all! No! No! No! I tell ya! I want a brand new one!" I throw myself on floor kicking and screaming. Arms and legs flalling wildly! Tears bursting out of my tightly squnited eyes!:mad:

"Ah, oh, okay." Slowly I try to get myself back together. Sadly sitting up on the floor shaking and rocking back and forth.

I **** my head, I can hear the small mean little whispers from the sky. "get rid of that cracked sick little thing!" I stand up to hear better as I definitely glare up at the sky. "Oh, I heard that! No! No! I will keep my cracked phone. I will i tell ya! I don't want a friggin refurb. It's not worth it!" :eek:

Wiping tears from my face and pacing back and forth wildly, trying to rationalize this horrible dilemma. "Ah, but then again, how bad can a refurb be? :sick: Nevermind." I shake my head in disgust. "Just nevermind. I don't wanna know. I'll stick with what i know, cracks and all." Raising my fist to the sky :mad: "Ya heard that didn't you?! You son of a B***!"

"Ah, I do feel better." I brush myself off and head back to the docked iPhone 3G, (ejecting it from iTunes) undocking it, holding it gingerly. It's warm body in my hand. "I'll never turn you into the Apple authorities, don't worry, you're home. You're mine, flaws and all. "It recipricates by getting warmer. Is that okay? :rolleyes:No, that's just me. It's okay, i think.

Do I love my iPhone 3G a little too much?!?! Ya think?! :cool: HA!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I think your dramatic lulz anyways I have a meeting with my lawyer today to discuss and sue Apple for selling me a damaged products at full price cracks an all. This will be fun... I hope by the end of this Apple will recall and or name alterations to the material being used. I deal with things easily and I'm not a picky sue happy person but I bought it new and u wana change it out for a used one.... Uhh no thnkx