Smart Cover? Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nealh, Mar 12, 2011.

1. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I am trying to decide on a case.
    The smart cover looks nice but does it work well?
    Does it securely support the iPad 2 in landscape mode and slightly elevated position for typing.

I'm sure the opening/ closing feature of on/off work fine. But does the magnetic clips work so that the "stand" keeps the iPad positioned in a stable fashion.

TIA

2. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Buy it if you don't think it's for you return or exchange it.

3. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I hate to go in that way. Hate buying if I know it's not a good idea.
    I probably will do this. I like the concept, wish there was more coverage like the iPad 1 case.

4. iPhoneFan10

iPhoneFan10 Member
    Bronze

I bought the grey vinyl. It works great. Highly recommend!

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Works flawlessly. Got grey.

6. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I purchased the black leather model. I don't care for it. No protection for the back when carrying the iPad. It also has only one typing position and I'd prefer additional positions.

I've preordered a Marware CEO Hybrid case http://www.marware.com/ipad-kindle-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-cases/C-E-O-Hybrid-iPad-2-case and will return, or sell my smart case as soon as it arrives. I had this case on my iPad version 1 and loved it for it's protection and multiple typing and viewing angles.

Just my two cents worth.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's definitely a limited use case. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep mine. I might go the screen protector route.

8. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I was surprised when there was no protection for the back.

9. engelke2010

engelke2010 Member
    Bronze

It's an OK cover. It's kind of a novelty for me and the novelty will wear off quickly and I use the origami case I bought for my iPad 1. Thankfully it fits nicely in it. I haven't checked what the cover is like when it is morphed into a stand, but i will tomorrow when I go to work. If I didn't get the cover for free, I most likely wouldn't have paid money for it.

10. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

I am really liking it but I am not liking that the back has no protection. I am hoping someone would make something for the back that allowed you to use both.

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I'm thinking of skinning the back, and using the smart cover for front. I like the thinness of it.

Michael

12. Diablo25

Diablo25 Member
    Bronze

I got the navy leather one. Now all I need is my ipad to put it on. 3/17 delivery :)

13. applejailescape

Gold

I reckon there'll be knock off ones on eBay soon at a fraction of the price , I'd wait Until that and then if you really like them buy the real deal . But I doubt they'd be much different :)

14. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

When I was in Apple today I just decided to go ahead and order the smart cover case just because there are really no other cases out there.

15. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Does the first iPad case work well? Or does the ipad2 move around and feel like it will fall out?

I can always punch a hole for camera.

Btw, everyone thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

16. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

I think the polyurethane version is worth it. I love the typing stand and landscape stand functionalities. I wish it could stand up in portrait mode too. I also love the turning on and off when you open and close the cover. I'm getting a GelaSkin for the back. I don't want to add too much bulk.

17. goblues38

goblues38 Member
    Bronze

Yes for when the device is not being used. It works real well to put the ipad2 away. But it does not work as well as the videos show while you are using the iPad. The smart cover kind of gets in the way, and using it as a stand is a leap of faith. Deals as if it will topple at any time.

18. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

I like mine. I got the black leather one. The leather version is too expensive for what it is but I was worried the polyurethane one was going to be like Apple's case for the first-gen iPad that picked up dirt easily so I decided to go with leather at the last minute.

It does support the iPad in landscape mode and for typing pretty securely. The magnets are strong enough that you can hold it by the cover alone and the iPad won't fall off.

You massacred the box. :D If you undo that tab on the back, it slips through a hole so the case opens up like a book. ;)

19. Daking618

Daking618 Member
    Bronze

Hey everyone yes I know that I'm late. But I just got an iPad 2 3days ago and just wording is the Apple smart cover worth buying? I wanna buy one from Amazon now I want the real thing not some fake. But before I buy one I need to ask my eic fam is it worth buying

20. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I think it was a good purchase. I have a black leather one. It's on the high end of price, but I like it and use in businesss. I also have a black leather zagg skin on the back. My daughter has a grey smart cover on her's that we bought. I like the instant on and off feature of the smart cover.

You'll like it as well I believe.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app