Smart Phone (required $15mo data plan = OK?) Digital TV (required $15mo cable = Outrage!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techdesigner, Nov 5, 2011.

1. techdesigner

techdesigner New Member

Why is it that Apple/AT&T are able to require a $15 a month fee for a data plan when a user states they only want to use their iPhone with wifi? I called AT&T and they say they can not unlock an iPhone or any smart phone even though it is after the contract has ended. To use my smart phone that I own with AT&T they will charge me for a data plan every day for the life of the phone. They made the cost of the subsidized phone back in that contract period. The contract has expired and I own the phone yet they will not unlock it so I can move to another carrier which will not charge me for the data plan. Is everyone alright with this?

If Sony stated during the digital switch that their new HD TVs would require a $15 a month Time Warner cable fee even if the customer only wanted to watch HD over the air there would be outrage, riots and pandemonium. Customers would not spend time trying to hack and jaibreak their TV with the chance that it might turn it into a brick!

Why is this monthly service fee requirement not illegal, banned or boycotted?

2. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Why do phone companies charge so much for texting? Cause they can.

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

And if you don't have a data plan, but your phone uses data, when not on wifi, it's liable to cost way more than $15 a month.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

4. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

It is not fair, but because they can is the answer.
    Jailbreak the phone if you can and unlock it, it is impossible to brick.
    The subsidized phone is paid for, so you can have it, but if you want to use their service, you will have to pay.
    Not unlocking it is BS though.

It is not illegal or banned because they are a private company and can charge for whatever they want.
    You can try to start a boycott, good luck with that !

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Sprint and Verizon will not activate a smartphone without the proper (their definition) data plan on your account.
    AT&T will simply add the required plan when they detect you using something like a BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.
    T-Mobile seems to be the most relaxed when it comes to using smartphones without data plans.

6. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

I have had all of the iPhone incarnations and they activate with a data plan immediately.
    The only way to get away with it for a month or 2 is to get it second hand and wait until they detect it.
    I'm not sure if there are any jailbreak apps that send a fake IMIE # to the carrier to get around it.

That being said, if you want to play, you gotta pay

7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Unless I am mistaken I thought I read about someone using an AT&T pay as you go account and cutting the sim card down that they got in the cheap pay as you go phone and using it in an iPhone, although you would lose your cell number.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

8. booyah5

booyah5 New Member

I use to use AT&T with my iPhone 3GS, but I got sick of paying so much, so I got a "PureTalk" sim (just search for PureTalk) which offers $10/month plans, and they work with AT&T phones - iPhone included. After I got the sim, I ported my AT&T number over to Google voice, and presto - smart phone with cell only - WiFi at home/McDonald's when out - for only $10/month.

9. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

But no data, right? No email, no MMS, no internet, and no apps that use data (like Facebook, Weather, etc.) unless you're on WiFi.

10. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

i,myself,haven't made the change....but i have jailbroke and made many iPhones compatible with Straight talk from walmart, for 50 bucks a month...unlimited talk/text/web.....................everythings works without unlock
    the jailbreak is just to make the mms work correctly

11. booyah5

booyah5 New Member

Sadly yes. Just cell and texting ($.10/minute/text) - not even MMS. I now got an iPad to get internet on the road. But even then I intend to only subscribe to that during my heavy usage months - before Christmas, and before Easter.

12. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

just a normal jailbreak does this..... Give me details my son's mother is on straight talk and her phone sucks she been askin me if I could hack an iPhone for her? Let me know please

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
    Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

13. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

I'm just glad I got in while they still had the el cheapo 15 dollar plan. As I understand it, that no longer exists and the new plan is 20 for a lousy 300 megabytes. I rarely use data as I have wifi at home and at work and in between, I don't do anything that uses lots of data. It is still ridiculous the way they charge. You should get at least 1 gig for twenty bucks, for christ sake.