Smartphone users; help with a purchase decision other than iPhone!

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
First and foremost, I have an iPhone and love it! However, my wife must have outlook access and to the best of my knowledge that is not an option for the iPhone at present.

Can anyone advise as to the best 'businesss' phone out? I previously had an 8125 (htc wizard), but it was very buggy and I frequently had to soft reset it.:oops: Also, I would like to get her something that is a bit more user friendly.

Any comments on the new blackberry vs. the treo? Is there any other good options?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

J5

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
First and foremost, I have an iPhone and love it! However, my wife must have outlook access and to the best of my knowledge that is not an option for the iPhone at present.

Can anyone advise as to the best 'businesss' phone out? I previously had an 8125 (htc wizard), but it was very buggy and I frequently had to soft reset it.:oops: Also, I would like to get her something that is a bit more user friendly.

Any comments on the new blackberry vs. the treo? Is there any other good options?

J5
I have the HTC Mogul and love it, if the browser (on the Mogul) were like my iPhone. I'd get rid of my iPhone. I hate Blackberry's because of their, ancient no touchscreen technology. The Treo is very user friendly, she will need the Windows version if wanting to use Outlook.

BTW: Verizon is coming out with their answer to the iPhone, The Voyager. The interface is similar but many more businesss features than the iPhone. I have owed or own just about every PDA phone that has ever came out. I know what I'm talking about..M

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Advice

I have the HTC Mogul and love it, if the browser (on the Mogul) were like my iPhone. I'd get rid of my iPhone. I hate Blackberry's because of their, ancient no touchscreen technology. The Treo is very user friendly, she will need the Windows version if wanting to use Outlook.

BTW: Verizon is coming out with their answer to the iPhone, The Voyager. The interface is similar but many more businesss features than the iPhone. I have owed or own just about every PDA phone that has ever came out. I know what I'm talking about..M
Thanks, I'll look into those referenced. Do you know, by chance, if they are all supported by ATT? She also has to have win mobile document access, excel, ppt, word, ect...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Thanks, I'll look into those referenced. Do you know, by chance, if they are all supported by ATT? She also has to have win mobile document access, excel, ppt, word, ect...
I know the Mogul has The Windows office Mobile suite, the Windows Mobile Treo does also, so yes it supports most Windows Apps. The Mogul is specific to Sprint. I'm sure AT&T has the same phone with a different name. Any PDA phone running Windows Mobile 6.0 should work just fine for her. Win Mobile 6.0 has lots more features than Win Mobile 5.0. If you are looking for user ease, I would say the Treo with Win Mobile 6 would be your best bet...Good Luck..M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I know the Mogul has The Windows office Mobile suite, the Windows Mobile Treo does also, so yes it supports most Windows Apps. The Mogul is specific to Sprint. I'm sure AT&T has the same phone with a different name. Any PDA phone running Windows Mobile 6.0 should work just fine for her. Win Mobile 6.0 has lots more features than Win Mobile 5.0. If you are looking for user ease, I would say the Treo with Win Mobile 6 would be your best bet...Good Luck..M
AT&T answer to Sprint's Mogul is "The Tilt"

kgil79

Aug 16, 2007

J5

Don't get anything treo. Palm is barely treading water in the kiddie pool.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida

J5
I got a BB pearl earlier this year before the iPhone came out. It is really nice. It is small and light. It does not have a QWERTY keyboard, but the suretype software makes it really easy to type. I was faster on it than I am on the iPhone now. The email sync was pefect. I had trouble once, but I resent my service packs and it cleared up. It has link on there for the medianet site of AT&T and it also has a regualr web browser that you can use on EDGE network (it is not 3G). I used it a lot to look up sports scores on the weekends. I think it was a really good devise. I just wanted the iPhone. I actually miss the BB email, but I did not really need it for my job. The BB pearl is also small and kind of girly. I really liked how small it was.
Hope this helps you. If you have more questions on it, let me know!

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I got a BB pearl earlier this year before the iPhone came out. It is really nice. It is small and light. It does not have a QWERTY keyboard, but the suretype software makes it really easy to type. I was faster on it than I am on the iPhone now. The email sync was pefect. I had trouble once, but I resent my service packs and it cleared up. It has link on there for the medianet site of AT&T and it also has a regualr web browser that you can use on EDGE network (it is not 3G). I used it a lot to look up sports scores on the weekends. I think it was a really good devise. I just wanted the iPhone. I actually miss the BB email, but I did not really need it for my job. The BB pearl is also small and kind of girly. I really liked how small it was.
Hope this helps you. If you have more questions on it, let me know!
I appreciate the info. Started looking at the att site through my company spoon and it looks like I can score an 8525 for $149.00:cool:. Wow, that seems like a deal compared to the list, and is even cheaper that upgrading with a new 2 yr contract. Also, no wait for the mail in rebates this way. Anyone out there able to draw a comparison b/t 8125 and 8525? I was not very happy with my 8125, but that price is hard to pass on and It appears to serve the needs of my wife.

J5

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Necessary ?

I think you are in a wrong site to be asking that question. This is EVERYTHINGiPhone not EVERYTHINGSMARTPHONE
Sorry you feel that way, but I have found most folks in here have or currently do use a smartphone other than the iPhone. Where better to get feedback for a device than from like minded (iPhone users) people as to expectations / disappointments of equipment they have previously owned?

Tried EVERYTHINGSMARTPHONE... nothing too useful there. Any other recommendations?

J5

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I appreciate the info. Started looking at the att site through my company spoon and it looks like I can score an 8525 for $149.00:cool:. Wow, that seems like a deal compared to the list, and is even cheaper that upgrading with a new 2 yr contract. Also, no wait for the mail in rebates this way. Anyone out there able to draw a comparison b/t 8125 and 8525? I was not very happy with my 8125, but that price is hard to pass on and It appears to serve the needs of my wife.

J5
More or less...
8525 is the updated version with 3G and MUCH more stable configuration. Had the 8525 briefly before getting an iPhone. If I remember correctly, it has WM6. The Tilt is the successor to the 8525 and I hear it's fabulous. I had the 8125 for a year and a half, and it worked well for the first 12 months. Literally within a month of Cingular's warranty, the thing started acting really badly. If the iPhone hadn't come along, I'd probably be happily using the 8525 waiting for my contract to run out so I could get the Tilt. I think if you can't justify the cost of the new Tilt, the 8525 is DEFINITELY a few steps up from the 8125. If you have access to the 3G network, all the better.

Oh, and I concur with the earlier post regarding the Treo line. As a long term Treo user, I simply got tired of their successive releases being more disappointing than exciting. They continue to release expensive substandard products based on a design that was revolutionary 6 years ago. They'd be WAY down my list of considerations...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I think you are in a wrong site to be asking that question. This is EVERYTHINGiPhone not EVERYTHINGSMARTPHONE

There's no need for that childish, non helpful comment.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I loved my Treo 700w. I had NO problems with it, and it did everything I needed and then some. The browser was 'ok' using the desktop mode, but I had to scroll a lot. That was my only gripe. I had a Q before that and hated not having a touch screen. I'm not too big on BB's, but the curve is pretty cool, but again, I like touch screens better.

Just my .02

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I still use an 8125 as my "work" device and have my iPhone as my personal device. The thing I hate is after having the iPhone for a while, now when I got to scroll on an email on my 8125, I flick the screen and it just does not work the same. I sit there for a minute with a dumbfounded look on my face and then realize I need to manually scroll down. :cool:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The tilt looks very similar to the 8525, maybe just a bit smaller. Functionally they appear to be about the same. Any ideas as to what is driving the 50$ price difference?

J5
I bought the Tilt last week and love it. The 8525 runs Windows Mobile 5, with an upgrade to 6 soon to be coming. The Tilt cost wise is pretty close to the same as the 8525 with a 2 year contract. I would take the Tilt any day over the 8525. 3.0 mp camera vs. 2.0, GPS, WM 6, more ram/rom, much less sluggish. If you download the opera mini browser you can view full HTML internet pages. I don't think you can go wrong with this phone. Battery life isn't near what the iPhone's is but it's not horrible (much better than my Q). Audio playback is surprisingly good. And of course....3G.