SMS Alert Problem

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
I am having a problem that hasn't started showing up till I updated to 2.1. So, every time I receive a text message, I will get the alert with the noise just like it is supposed to, but then fifteen minutes later, my phone will make the sms alert noise again. Mind you, the second time that my phone makes the sms alert it is not because I am receiving another text message. What can I do about this? All help is greatly appreciated.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
2.1 has an SMS reminder built in. It will give you a reminder if receive a text and don't look at it in 5 minutes, and then again 5 minutes later. From what I've read there is no way to turn it off.

ally fu

Dec 4, 2007
This is a complete pain in the ar$e. I'm fed up of scrabbling around for my phone only to find that I don't have a new text message after all.

LionOfTheSouthUK

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
So, you get the repeat alerts even when you have opened the txt message?
Very strange.
I get the original alert, I open the message and I get no more alerts.I don't open it, I get the original alert and two repeat alerts.

ally fu

Dec 4, 2007
No, if you open your SMS screen then it doesn't give you the reminder.

However, sometimes if it's a short message (Like 'sorry, running 5mins late') Then I just read the preview message on the main screen and don't bother 'opening' it. Only now I've got to, or I'll get the stupid reminder sounding off.

SwingOnThis

Bronze
Feb 29, 2008
I appreciate what Apple was trying to do with these text reminders but to not give us the ability to disable this feature is horrible. HATE IT. :mad:

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I agree, when I read about it I thought it was a nice idea but I assumed I'd be able to turn it off. What's the point of that SMS preview anymore? It can be a pain in the arse having my text messages displayed for all to see and now there's not even any need for it since I'm forced to open the actual message or line myself up for confusion in about five minutes when I've totally forgotten about the message.

Shortly after the update I got a text message while I was asleep and it woke me up, I looked up at the preview and went back to sleep. Then a few minutes later I got woken up again, looked at the phone and there was nothing so I assumed I was hearing things and went back to sleep. Recalling that when I woke up later I assumed it was a dream and didn't realise it actually happened until I figured out what was going on.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have a feeling in some future update there will be an option to turn this off. I understand the thinking behind it, but it just isn't for everyone.