SMS apps?

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
Which SMS is the best to use? I want to be able to mainly put pictures of who i am text but different backgrounds or fonts or anything else is fine too.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I prefer iRealSMS, but you don't need a new SMS app to change the font, SMS theme, or to add photos to contacts. Changing the system font will change the font for the text messages. You can change the background through WinterBoard. You can sync photos to contacts through facebook, etc.

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Just based on my use and personal preferences, heres the pros and cons of iRealSMS and BiteSMS, the two biggest SMS apps, which will both put you back about $10. Both of these have similar features including quick reply, and they're both the best SMS apps in Cydia. Here are some differences:

iRealSMS
Pros:
-Bigger contact pictures in messaging
-A little more customizable, more options
-You can see the contact picture while typing quick reply
Cons:
-Takes a little time after opening to load conversations (if you have a lot of them like I do)
-Quick reply takes up the top of screen instead of the middle, looks a little awkward IMO

BiteSMS
Pros:
-Message pop ups look a little cleaner
-Faster loading time than iRealSMS
-More like the default messaging app (you can barely tell the difference once opened)
-Latest update added a lot of cool stuff like custom contact ringtones
Cons:
-Pink icon (easily changeable though)

I definitely prefer BiteSMS, its just a little smoother/quicker which is important to me since I like to get things done as fast as possible, but I think that both of these offer you a free trial period, so you can try them out and decide for yourself!

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I don't believe so as new messaging apps take quite a lot of work to make. If you are short on cash, look into getting quick reply, which let's you reply to texts from within any other app, it's very useful

larryo108

Bronze
Dec 22, 2009
BiteSMS is free. It is now ad-supported. Paying customers get the ads removed, but you don't ever HAVE to pay. It said so when I installed it yesterday. I only use quickcompose and quickreply, so I rarely open the app. I can live with the ads.

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
I don't mind paying just always skeptical about paying for things without having them in hand, always cautious about being ripped off or having my payment messed up.

I was reading that you pay for credits within some of these SMS apps. How does that work with your current plan? (little confused about it)

corinne

Jun 17, 2010
For bitesms, you can

1) Buy the full license (w/o credits) and have unlimited/forever use of the app. W/o credits mean that you can only send sms through your carrier's network.

2) Buy credits and send via bitesms' network

3) (I think) Use for free but with ads

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
I don't mind paying just always skeptical about paying for things without having them in hand, always cautious about being ripped off or having my payment messed up.

I was reading that you pay for credits within some of these SMS apps. How does that work with your current plan? (little confused about it)
You can buy credits (cheaper int'l rates than most carriers), but you can also have biteSMS just go through your carrier's plan. I have unlimited texts through AT&T, so that's the option I go with.

Another great feature of both bite and iReal: Message Scheduling. Very handy when I remember at midnight to tell my wife to leave me our son's car seat, but don't want to wake her up. I simply write a text to her, then post date it for 8:00 the next morning, so she gets it as she's enjoying her morning latte!

I've also noticed that a lot of better WinterBoard themes often include a UI overhaul for biteSMS, but rarely for iRealSMS, if the custom look is your thing. I have a really nice black/red matte UI on mine right now, looks sweet.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ I don't see an option for message scheduling in iReal. I'll have to look into that later.

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
^ I don't see an option for message scheduling in iReal. I'll have to look into that later.
You're absolutely right, Mindi!

I was surprised that iReal didn't have a similar feature, as it tends to be more feature rich than biteSMS. While doing some more research into iReal vs. bite, I found that users say while iReal tends to have more features, the UI is a little over-complicated compared to bite. bite apparently assimilates with the native messages a little better as well, from what I read.

I think for the everyday user, biteSMS offers all of the extra features you want, and leaves some of the more "professional" features out. iReal definitely takes the cake for king of full featured SMS apps, but it's price tag and UI are a little daunting.

My vote goes to biteSMS!

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
So would the credits mainly be for Int'l texts? Im going to download the trial of bite and see if I like it. Im able to use that as my only SMS app right? no more need for the default SMS?

Also, I can send and receive pics and vids with bite, correct?

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
So would the credits mainly be for Int'l texts? Im going to download the trial of bite and see if I like it. Im able to use that as my only SMS app right? no more need for the default SMS?

Also, I can send and receive pics and vids with bite, correct?
The credit system is for people that don't have great texting plans, or for people who have an iPhone supplied by their job, and want to circumvent SMS restrictions. International rates are another reason, as you mentioned. I've never used them. I just have biteSMS set to send through my mobile carrier.

When you get biteSMS, make sure you check out all of the options under the Settings button (top right corner). Under Features, make sure Default SMS app is turned on. This ensures you don't need to use the native Messages app anymore. In fact, I used Poof! (part of SBSettings, under the More button) to hide my Messages icon. The app is still there, but Poof! allows you to hide icons (I also hid the Compass, as I never use it).

Make sure to familiarize yourself with the Quick Compose/Reply features, as that's the biggest selling point of biteSMS. Other than that, there's not much of a learning curve, as it looks pretty much exactly like the native Messages app for the most part, just with tons of extras.

You'll love it!

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
So I downloaded the trial version of biteSMS and I really enjoy it. Just a few questions about it though. If i buy the license i can use it for ever as my default app? Also whats the difference between sending via bite or ATT?

Punkrulz

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
If you buy the license yes you will have it forever, but again only as long as your phone is jailbroken can you use this application. Personally for me, BiteSMS is the main reason I jailbreak my phone as I enjoy it that much.

As per sending through Bite or AT&T, again that has to do with Bite's credits. If you go with a bite credit plan then you're sending it that way. Otherwise, using AT&T as your default provider will use text messages under AT&T's plan... meaning if you don't have unlimited text messaging, after you expire your messages you will be charged on your phone bill per text message.