SMS mailbox full

murfeye

Feb 7, 2008
thats crazy... why not just deleted some... im sure you don't need it unless its going to be some type of evidence against someone
Evidence.....could be. Do those conversations exist somewhere? Even though they were "cleared" from the iPhone. Is there a difference between clearing conversation and deleting messages? Whats the real facts?

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Evidence.....could be. Do those conversations exist somewhere? Even though they were "cleared" from the iPhone. Is there a difference between clearing conversation and deleting messages? Whats the real facts?
It's extremely difficult to get texts once you've deleted them. AT&T will give conflicting responses when asked about this; I've heard that once they're deleted they're gone for good, and then I've heard that the only way to retrieve them if you want to use them in court is to subpoena them. ?

murfeye

Feb 7, 2008
It's extremely difficult to get texts once you've deleted them. AT&T will give conflicting responses when asked about this; I've heard that once they're deleted they're gone for good, and then I've heard that the only way to retrieve them if you want to use them in court is to subpoena them. ?
Thats good to know! So even some data retrieval company couldnt pull up something from a back up folder synced to i-tunes? Or hidden somewhere on 8GB of memory on the phone? I'm surprised I don't see more questions on this subject.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Thats good to know! So even some data retrieval company couldnt pull up something from a back up folder synced to i-tunes? Or hidden somewhere on 8GB of memory on the phone? I'm surprised I don't see more questions on this subject.
I think it depends on who is doing the retrieval. For instance, I doubt that the mayor of Detroit kept those incriminating texts on his phone, but they were found.
For the average Joe, there are devices that can retrieve deleted texts from SIM cards if you can get hold of the SIM card in question (or get a court order, I suppose).
As for the backup sync to iTunes, I'm still new to the iPhone to stab a guess at this... Anyone?

murfeye

Feb 7, 2008
I think it depends on who is doing the retrieval. For instance, I doubt that the mayor of Detroit kept those incriminating texts on his phone, but they were found.
For the average Joe, there are devices that can retrieve deleted texts from SIM cards if you can get hold of the SIM card in question (or get a court order, I suppose).
As for the backup sync to iTunes, I'm still new to the iPhone to stab a guess at this... Anyone?
Thanks Buffy. My understanding is that the SIM card in the iPhone has no data on it at all, its only there for phone activation. Anyone?