SMS mailbox full?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Xokrkox13, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Xokrkox13

Xokrkox13 New Member

I've had the iPhone since the original 2G with the black and silver back. I then went to the iPhone 3G and now the iPhone 4.. I downloaded iOS 5 and it's now saying my message box is full? I've never had this problem but I listened and deleted text messages from 2008- 2011 (leaving the past few months) I got this message again and my mailbox is practically empty and I'm still getting this message.. Any suggestions what I can do?

2. kyleplusitunes

Silver

You never deleted a text from 2008-2011?

My only guess is that you are either running an old phone, or your new phone has almost all the available memory going to your text app.

Why don't you just save important text messages and delete the rest?

I'd be interested to see how the rest of your phone works with 4 years of text messages in it

3. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

The issue is that Apple, for whatever reason, has now limited the SMS database to 15 megabytes--starting with iOS 5.0.

I got that message on my new iPhone 4S. It was restored with a backup from my 4, which had been restored from the 3GS and so on. Apple says 15 MB is equal to 75, 000 messages but I know mine went back to the first iPhone.

The only way to clear them out is to delete one bye one.... UGH! I finally have 2008 and 2009 cleaned out.

Actually aside from the inability to to mass delete I think the change is for the better. I didn't need to be carrying around messages that were nearly 4 years old and I would expect that large a database slowed things down.

I think it might be time to erase all settings and start off as new. No telling how much other crap I'm carrying around that goes back to the 1st iPhone.

Michael

4. Xokrkox13

Xokrkox13 New Member

Yeah I get what you're saying about not having all those messages but now I don't even have a weeks worth of messages and it's giving me that message. I started clearing messages as opposed to deleting them bc I was forgetting who I needed to text back. I have only today's messages and I'm still not receiving all the texts =(

5. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Make sure you completely reboot after deleting messages. Sometimes it does not shrink the SMS database until you do so.

BTW: That had to be one marathon deleting session if you only have a week still on there! I got fed up just finishing 2009 lol.

Michael