SMS Messages?

t-mack

Jul 18, 2007
Probably a silly question, but before I get skewered on my bill.....

I paid the extra $10 to go from 200 to 1500 SMS per month. Can these SMS be used to send messages to ANY cell phone? Most of my friends are on Verizon and I will be sending many more to VZW phones than AT&T.

Thanks!

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
don't forget when you receive texts it will count too

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yeah, think of them as "anytime minutes", for Text messages. 1500, anywhere, to anyone, anytime.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm kind of disappointed in the text message charges for AT&T. With Sprint I had unlimited for $10 bucks. With VZW i had unlimited within network plus 500 out of network for $10. With AT&T I get 1300 above the 200 included in the plan for $10. I'm already up to 1,000 texts not even half way through the billing cycle :-\

S

//STATiC

With AT&T it's always best to pay for unlimited texting. That way you don't have anything to worry about.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm considering changing to unlimited text so i don't have to worry. I know on the AT&T account page they don't have the iPhone data/messaging plans. I'm assuming if i switch to the $20 unlimited messaging that it will remove the $10 for 1500 messaging that i selected when i activated through iTunes. has anybody done this and can verify that this is how it works? I'd hate to be paying for the additional texts i already selected through activation and the $20 for unlimited.

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
is there a way to tell how many text messages are left for the month like the *min# for minutes?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Didn't see this posted anywhere .... How many characters can you type in to a text message?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Didn't see this posted anywhere .... How many characters can you type in to a text message?
I think you can type as far as you want, it'll just split it up into 250-character messages, when the recipient receives it. If they have a regular cell phone, of course.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
On my last 3 phones it was 160 characters before it was split into multiple messages.
Sorry for my ignorance .... don't have an iPhone (yet) ... just trying to get info.....
I just noticed that the text message entry area was one line long ... what happens when you get to the end of that? Does it just keep truncating til you are done typing the message?

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Sorry for my ignorance .... don't have an iPhone (yet) ... just trying to get info.....
I just noticed that the text message entry area was one line long ... what happens when you get to the end of that? Does it just keep truncating til you are done typing the message?

it goes to the next line.... 2 negatives about sms texting.... cant send pictures. And cant send to multple people at the same time...

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
it goes to the next line.... 2 negatives about sms texting.... cant send pictures. And cant send to multple people at the same time...
For me .... could care less about both points. But thanks for the heads up.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
For me .... could care less about both points. But thanks for the heads up.
I'm really waiting on this to be updated. You have got to be able to send picture and video messages, mms. Half the time it most certainly is not worth the effort to go to the web to see what it is......would be nice if there was a way to access that without all the effort. hint hint hack mod....:laugh2:

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
As for sending mms messages, for example if the person i am sending a mms text, i'll just email them to their mobilenumber@mms.att.net since we can email. Its a little bit more of a step, but at least i can text mms and without using any of my 200 text from my plan...