SMS messeges on computer

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
is there anyway or a program for windows that lets you have either transfer or backup your conversations on iPhone. i know that at one time there was something for a mac computer but not a windows. i am hoping to save my convos since in a little bit i am getting the new 3g iPhone.
anyone who helps, thanks in advance

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't know of a program, but i can tell you how to manually do it.

You'll need SSH. Other than that, it's just two steps.

go to "/private/var/mobile/Library/SMS" and save the "sms.db" file there to your computer. Then just put it in the same folder on the new iPhone (replace the existing one).

at least, it should work.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i kinda worded that wrong... you need an application that will support SSH file transfers from a computer to your iPhone (through a wireless network). WinSCP is a good one for windows, and Cyberduck for Mac.

install one of those, enable SSH on your iPhone (you'll need BSD subsystem for this... it's in installer), and connect to your iPhone with these settings:

server: [your iPhone's ip address]
username: root
password: alpine

once it connects, you should be able to browse the files on your iPhone just like you do on your computer.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
thanks, appreciate it very much

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
does this only work with an unlocked iPhone? because my phone is locked

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
doesn't have to be unlocked... just jailbroken. i figured since you were asking for a program to do it, you were already jailbroken... so if you're not you will have to do that as well. If you search the modifications forum there are plenty of walkthroughs for that (it only takes a couple of mouse clicks and about five minutes).

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
yeah i know, thats cool i will do this before then since its pretty fool proof to unlock an iPhone now and i really only need it for another 12 days. thanks for you help