SMS preview(solution..well kinda)

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
hey all,

i came across an article today online regarding text message privacy.. it mentions how the iPhone is not very private with not having a feature to turn on the sms preview..

anyways they have a link with a solution that works for me so i thought id share.. hope no one posted this already

basically what u do is set the passlock on you iPhone. once you set the passlock it asks you if you want to turn sms preview off.

yes i know most of us are annoyed with putting a passlock code everytime we use our iPhone, but what i do is set the (required Passode) field to 4 hours. the only time i don't use my iPhone within 4 hours is when im sleeping and i bet 99% of everyone are the same as me..

here is the link

http://www.appleiPhonereview.com/iphone-tutorials/iphone-text-privacy-how-to-turn-off-sms-preview/

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
oh, i knew about that, but i never thought setting it to 4 hours... i don't really care about "privacy" (why does it seem that so many people act like have something to hide?), but that might actually be useful info....

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
oh, i knew about that, but i never thought setting it to 4 hours... i don't really care about "privacy" (why does it seem that so many people act like have something to hide?), but that might actually be useful info....
" There's a passage I got memorized,
seems appropriate for this situation:
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the
righteous man is beset on all sides
by the inequities of the selfish and
the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is
he who, in the name of charity and
good will, shepheards the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is
truly his brother's keeper and the
finder of lost children. And I will
strike down upon thee with great
vengeance and furious anger those
who attempt to poison and destroy my
brothers. And you will know my name
is the Lord when I lay my vengeance
upon you."

gemroz

Jan 5, 2008
Maybe they don't have stuff to hide.......they just want to keep some things private. Maybe there wife sends them a sexy message while there priest is checking out there new iPhone.... Maybe he bought the girlfriend an engagement ring and he is goin to surprise her and ask her to marry him and while she is playing on his iPhone his friend text him and asks if she said "yes" when he gave her the ring. Or maybe he is a drug dealer and a cop is checking out his cool new phone....lol. Point is not all things that we hide are bad. A little "privacy" on the iPhone can be a good thing!

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Agreed. I receive very few professional texts on my phone; most are personal. I have nothing to hide but prefer that employees or professional acquaintances not be privy to my social plans.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I have a lot of stuff i like to hide via text message. Really sucks when I'm at a bar, have my iPhone laying on the bar, and a text from the old lady comes through askin me when I'm gonna be home-PLastered all over the screen without me even opening it! Sure drives that cute girl I'm hitting on away in a hurry.

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
ya.. i got nothing to hide, its just nice to have the option to keep them private, so this "feature" is as close as we can get so far.

im happy with it

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
" There's a passage I got memorized,
seems appropriate for this situation:
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the
righteous man is beset on all sides
by the inequities of the selfish and
the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is
he who, in the name of charity and
good will, shepheards the weak through
the valley of darkness, for he is
truly his brother's keeper and the
finder of lost children. And I will
strike down upon thee with great
vengeance and furious anger those
who attempt to poison and destroy my
brothers. And you will know my name
is the Lord when I lay my vengeance
upon you."
LOL dude I did the EXACT SAME THING in a different thread - iPhone lens coating.

sorry Ezekiel, we just all really love pulp fiction.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
there is a way to turn it off and keep it from popping up. just saw it in another thread.

from the other thread..

Settings --> General ---> Passcode Lock, and turn SMS preview off.

kingp

Aug 22, 2007
No one mentions this, so I'll throw it in there......

The timer on this phone makes one of the best poker blind timers I've seen. At my local house games my phone is often used as the official blind timer. Set on the table, with big huge numbers that everyone at the table can read. Then my girlfriends text me something they think is private, and my friends all start cracking up at some of the stuff discussed with my personal friends................ Actually they joke about it every time we play, even if she doesn't send me the usual text.....