SMS Problems

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
Anyone else having a problem with SMS? I found a site called txtDrop.com. Seemed like what I needed so the wife can send text messages to my iPhone. It didn't work so I email the people at the site and got a speedy response telling me that if I "ported" my number it "wouldn't" work! Hmmm what's the deal with a ported number? Anyhow He/She went on to say that I could use (textforfree.org) so I go there and send SMS to my iPhone and I get nothing! IAm I missing something here? Am I doing something wrong? I know my SMS works because I use it with my boss at work. I emailed the people at the site again but have not gotten a response.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
daziPhone,

Ported numbers are okay to use with SMS. I have ported mine over and used SMS without issue.

I am assuming you need people to email you and for you to get the SMS msg. Anyone can send you a text-message from any email by using:

aaabbbyyyy@txt.att.net
(where aaabbbyyyy=your iPhone number)

Try it out. It should work for you.

Dave :laugh2:

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
daziPhone,

Ported numbers are okay to use with SMS. I have ported mine over and used SMS without issue.

I am assuming you need people to email you and for you to get the SMS msg. Anyone can send you a text-message from any email by using:

aaabbbyyyy@txt.att.net
(where aaabbbyyyy=your iPhone number)

Try it out. It should work for you.

Dave :laugh2:
That works. Thanks. It doesn't explain why I can't get a SMS from a website tho?

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
For AT&T there are two ways of sending messages:

1234567890@txt.att.net (text only like iPhone) and1234567890@mms.att.net (for multimedia like audio/video/pictures aka MMS)

My guess is that most test-messaging services are setup for the MMS, not TXT. Any email that are sent to our phones via the MMS way doesn't get to us on your iPhones.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Sounds as if txtDrop.com is unable to or willing to update their SMS routing tables.