SMS Text Message - SPAM

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Anyone else receiving text message spam?

How do these people know how to text me?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Never even heard of it happening. I hope your number didn't somehow find it's way somewhere online.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
My wife got one the second day she had hers and I've received about maybe three or four since I got mine on IDay.
Usually they are about some bogus stocks and such.

psychoticpanda

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
New York
my father used to get that. maybe someone has typed in your phone number in a spam site like (get free horoscopes) as a joke ? try to google your cell phone number see if anything comes up ? :(

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I am getting them too. I have gotten three total... two today. It pisses me off greatly, and I know that I have not given my number out to the internet.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I am getting them too. I have gotten three total... two today. It pisses me off greatly, and I know that I have not given my number out to the internet.
I think that if you contact AT&T that it's their responsibility to do something about it. They're like your bodyguard that sticks up for you because you pay them money.

JiggyMatt

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
if you just became an ATT customer, its possible that someone had your number before you and subscribed to those things or had their number out there for people to send them stuff to. most of the SMS spam you can get rid of by texting "STOP" (without quotes) back to the number that sent it. those are usually auto-generated messages sent to thousands of people at the same time. if they continue after you reply with STOP then call att. they might be able to help but i doubt it. You can't really control WHO texts you. sorry its not the best news but im just being real

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I have been with ATT for 5 years, well technically ATT, bellsouth, cingular and ATT again, but you know what I mean. I have never gotten Spam messages before, so it bothers me a bit that I am getting them with the iPhone.

Sneaker

Dec 27, 2007
It's a pretty common problem. Spammers, don't need you to give them your number, they just randomly generate them. I had a big problem with SMS spam with my old phone. But somehow when I switched to my iPhone it went away. I still have the same number even.

Anyway, if you list your cell phone number on the Do Not Call Registry, it may help. Doing this cut my spam quite a bit.

https://donotcall.gov/

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007

I just got off the phone with ATT about this very issue. They have stopped them, by taking solicitation off my phone. Whatever that means. I will assume it worked if it didn't work, I will let you know. So, I guess call ATT and have them do the same for you. Kinda pisses me off though that ATT just doesn't block this crap in the first place. I had received over 50 in the last 3 days.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I just got off the phone with ATT about this very issue. They have stopped them, by taking solicitation off my phone. Whatever that means. I will assume it worked if it didn't work, I will let you know. So, I guess call ATT and have them do the same for you.

Solicitation will be something like the "Do not call List"

But they still call

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Solicitation will be something like the "Do not call List"

But they still call
True. I just got three more F*&^&(CKING Spams. Stupid AT&T.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
So far I got one for a pump and dump scheme and with it I got another text saying that the SMS was from an AOL user and giving the instructions to block all SMS from AOL. I did. The whole thing cost me 3 or four texts but there will be no more spam from AOL to my phone number.

I have no idea where they got my number. I'm guessing it was random. I've only had one wrong number call and that SMS spam so far -- everything else has been legit to my phone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That would suck to have 50 of your 200 text messages taken up by unsolicited spam. :(

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
That would suck to have 50 of your 200 text messages taken up by unsolicited spam. :(
yes. it does suck. Alot. And ATT is useless. I am going to have to suspend text messaging for a while.

launlind

Jul 21, 2008
Thank you!

if you just became an ATT customer, its possible that someone had your number before you and subscribed to those things or had their number out there for people to send them stuff to. most of the SMS spam you can get rid of by texting "STOP" (without quotes) back to the number that sent it. those are usually auto-generated messages sent to thousands of people at the same time. if they continue after you reply with STOP then call att. they might be able to help but i doubt it. You can't really control WHO texts you. sorry its not the best news but im just being real
The "STOP" trick worked right away. Thank you!:laugh2: