SMS text upgrade worth it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

askdefj

Sep 26, 2007
hey
Like lots of kids today I text a lot.. And as of now I have the regular 200 SMS plan. I'm usually texting only about two people but then I do a lot. My previous plan was unlimited texting..

Ive been trying to find a free solution, like going on aim and sending an sms from there but none of the apps stay on 24/7 which i want. Flickim would be perfect except that it doesn't support sending sms to mobile.

As of now, i know yahoo mail is soon coming out with sms compatibility, but i have no idea if the iPhone will support that. After that ive pretty much run out of ideas.. And will consider paying 40 for unlimited sms.. Do u guys have any other suggestions?

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
hey
Like lots of kids today I text a lot.. And as of now I have the regular 200 SMS plan. I'm usually texting only about two people but then I do a lot. My previous plan was unlimited texting..
Do u guys have any other suggestions?
Change your rate plan with AT&T to a family plan which will give you the same amount of minutes to share between the iPhone and the Free Phone they will give you. Then you can have a phone designed for texting fast and easy and a second phone number for that phone for free. All for just $9.95 per month extra, thanks to Apple.

askdefj

Sep 26, 2007
thanks for the suggestions but I'd really hate to carry another device around.
Is their anyway without carrying another device?

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I was in the same dilemma, I had unlimited before getting the iPhone and I used a lot of txts. But I wasn't going to pay $40 a month for it. I ended up going for the $30, and cutting back a lot on txt mssgs. I may upgrade later but which they would lower the price for txt.

Derek Gisriel

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
AT&T has an AT&T to AT&T unlimited text package for $5. It may not help you much if your texting is primarily to other carriers but I thought I would mention it in case you were interested and not aware.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I just had to bite the bullet and get the unlimited text. I had data and unlimited text on my Treo 750 so actually using the iPhone data plan and the unlimited text is cheaper! Unfortunately there really isn't a free text option. The only thing I can recommned is do IM forwarding and when you get a forwarded IM sign on to a Chat client like Apollo or Mobilechat and use the data.

Don't know if that helps, but good luck!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but switch to T-Mobile. They'll give you a free phone which you can sell on eBay to counteract your cancellation fee. T-Mobile offers unlimited texting for $15, and their data package is only $5.99 for unlimited Internet. Their voice plans are also on average $10-$20 cheaper. I'm paying about $40 cheaper with T-Mobile than I was paying with AT&T, and the service is actually better (at least where I live).

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
txtdrop.com/iPhone

:cool:I have been using it since last night. Only problem with txtdrop.com is that you have to manual input the phone number. In addition, the reply comes to your email in box.

Although it is definitely free (= awesome) the speed at which it takes to send/ receive texts is decreased. Its better off just using Apollo/Mobilechat/ etc. or actually calling the person.

If anyone knows of any new apps for texting let me know!

6 txts a day is just not cuttin' it! :mad:

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
:cool:I have been using it since last night. Only problem with txtdrop.com is that you have to manual input the phone number. In addition, the reply comes to your email in box.

Although it is definitely free (= awesome) the speed at which it takes to send/ receive texts is decreased. Its better off just using Apollo/Mobilechat/ etc. or actually calling the person.

If anyone knows of any new apps for texting let me know!

6 txts a day is just not cuttin' it! :mad:
well instead of using your email address, use your text messaging address(AT&T=10digit@mms.att.net, tmobile=10digit@tmomail.net). then it'll come as a text rather than in your email. hopefully that helps a little. you still have to manually enter the number though.

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
that's funny, no i really didn't think about it. i just figured since he is able to manage right now w/only 200 than 1500 would be more than adequate. i guess i should modify that post huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Change your rate plan with AT&T to a family plan which will give you the same amount of minutes to share between the iPhone and the Free Phone they will give you. Then you can have a phone designed for texting fast and easy and a second phone number for that phone for free. All for just $9.95 per month extra, thanks to Apple.

Hmmm....this looks interesting. Thanks. I'll have to look into it.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
After "further review" at the AT&T website: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhoneCenter.html then click "plans" tab.

under where it says "Add more texting", "1500 SMS text messages $10.00 more/month" and "unlimites SMS text message $20 more/month".

Not sure where somebody got an additional $40/month for unlimited text messages. But adding $10 or $20 would seem a better deal then doing the "Family Plan" thingie, IMHO.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
that's funny, no i really didn't think about it. i just figured since he is able to manage right now w/only 200 than 1500 would be more than adequate. i guess i should modify that post huh?
Haha no, it's not a big deal. I'm sure he'll do what he thinks is best for him. And at any rate, you're probably right if he's able to almost manage 200.

askdefj

Sep 26, 2007
well instead of using your email address, use your text messaging address(AT&T=10digit@mms.att.net, tmobile=10digit@tmomail.net). then it'll come as a text rather than in your email. hopefully that helps a little. you still have to manually enter the number though.
Becaues it's received as a text, does that mean it charges as a text?

One of my friends that I text the most uses Tmobile. They are able to text me straight to my yahoo mail account, but, I can only set the mail app to check every 15 minutes and that's not too great.

I'm really close to considering upgrading to 1500. I like the interface and it's so much easier to use. I know there's a way to check the data and usage times.. but is their a quick way to check how many sms texts you have used?

The only reasons I don't yet want to upgrade my plan is, I don't really keep track of my texts and don't want to go over. I'm sure if I can see where I'm at, I can somewhat make it work. And also because, there's a lot of free ways to do this already, they just aren't reliable YET.

t0ny

Sep 11, 2007
Becaues it's received as a text, does that mean it charges as a text?

One of my friends that I text the most uses Tmobile. They are able to text me straight to my yahoo mail account, but, I can only set the mail app to check every 15 minutes and that's not too great.

I'm really close to considering upgrading to 1500. I like the interface and it's so much easier to use. I know there's a way to check the data and usage times.. but is their a quick way to check how many sms texts you have used?

The only reasons I don't yet want to upgrade my plan is, I don't really keep track of my texts and don't want to go over. I'm sure if I can see where I'm at, I can somewhat make it work. And also because, there's a lot of free ways to do this already, they just aren't reliable YET.
If you're on AT&T and i'm consdering you are, dial *3282# and it'll give you data/text usage in a text from AT&T.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but switch to T-Mobile. They'll give you a free phone which you can sell on eBay to counteract your cancellation fee. T-Mobile offers unlimited texting for $15, and their data package is only $5.99 for unlimited Internet. Their voice plans are also on average $10-$20 cheaper. I'm paying about $40 cheaper with T-Mobile than I was paying with AT&T, and the service is actually better (at least where I live).

Except for the fact that its not honest. And you screw your iPhone over by unlocking it and unleashing a whole new can of worms.
your credibility just dropped. Why incourage shady behavior?

Sep 24, 2007
What is dishonest about it? What do you have against people who unlock their personal phone to use on the network of their choice?

Yes you lose your Apple warranty, just the price you pay. Pick what suits you personally best. Keep AT&T iPhone plan and your warranty, or pick another carrier and lose it.

I don't think I've ever gone up to 4k in texts. Hit 3k and some change, but that was using aim/yahoo/msn on a nokia phone that counted im's as txts.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
After "further review" at the AT&T website: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iPhoneCenter.html then click "plans" tab.

under where it says "Add more texting", "1500 SMS text messages $10.00 more/month" and "unlimites SMS text message $20 more/month".

Not sure where somebody got an additional $40/month for unlimited text messages. But adding $10 or $20 would seem a better deal then doing the "Family Plan" thingie, IMHO.
no, they said paying $40 a month, since we already pay $20 for 200 txt.