SMS tone changing!

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
So why didn't they add in with the 1.1.2 update to be able to change your SMS tone to a ringtone on your phone?

I can't see it being to much harder for them to add in a couple more lines of code to throw the ringtone playlist in the New Text Message list as well, don't you think?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I don't think that anybody here is going to be able to answer your question. Maybe you should try and contact Apple directly and ask them.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
you could do this with one of the jailbreak programs, back when i hacked my phone i used the CTU ringer for txt messages.. but as far as a legit way of doign that.. shrug

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah as of yet it's still not possible with 1.1.3 unless you jailbreak something 1.1.2 or earlier, unfortunately. I assign certain contacts ringtones and enjoy when I can get a text message and know who it is without having to take the phone out of my pocket. I've got mine set up with a tone of my choosing but it applies to all text messages I receive.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
yes it kind of sucks not being able to do that. With my razr I knew if I wanted to read the message or ignore it just by the sound. You actually begin to miss the simple thngs once you don't have them:(

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i get too many txts that if i dared made a song play everytime i got one id not only piss off everyone in my vicinity but also myself

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Wow I forgot what it was like to have a phone that did that. Guess its one of the things I gave up. One day im sure we will have that option

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
do you mean play a song every time you get a text? to me that is very stupid. text message/voicemail/email tones are meant to be nice and short, like the ones they provided for sms tones in 1.1.2 or w/e it was. they shouldnt be long so that way you don't have to answer it quickly, as with a call, it is important since it is actual live talking.

(i think that may have been a bit confusing but i don't know how else to say it lol)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah that's what they mean for assigning the tone. Sure it's longer but it's nice to know who is texting prior to reading the message. After a while the tones can get annoying but it would be nice to have to option for it.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Its definitely very basic, but i'm like theraker and would hate a long tone or song to play whenever i get a text. a basic short tone is good for me

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
A lot of the problems with the iPhone are small and usually over looked. Try posting on their forums or e-mailing them. Couldn't hurt to try.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I used to have quotes play when i got a txt on my old phone. Oh well tritone does it for me now.

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
yes i definitely don't want a full ringtone as my SMS tone..
I don't know about the rest of you i make all my own ringtones from my mp3's. I would obviously find some short tones on the interenet and add to my ringtone list to use for SMS only.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
yes i definitely don't want a full ringtone as my SMS tone..
I don't know about the rest of you i make all my own ringtones from my mp3's. I would obviously find some short tones on the interenet and add to my ringtone list to use for SMS only.

I use little star trek sounds on mine. It annoys everyone. But hey, I like it. I lost that though when I upgraded.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
But before you upgraded, how did you get it onto the phone?
I changed the format of the tone, and shortened. At the time I used some type of Explorer version of a iPhone software someone has made. It was pretty much drag and drop. I can not remember the name though. I do miss my custom tones for everything though.

Dec 4, 2008
I would just like my own customised sms tone. I do not need a long one, but why do I have to stick with the very limited selection Apple offers?
I used to have a Motorola and I do miss it. If Motorola can make it so easy to customise ringtones, why isn't Apple able to do that?
Even Apple's own ringtones cannot be used for the sms.
The Duck would be kind of fun as an sms, but hey, that's only available as a ringtone selection.
What were they thinking?

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
My phone is 2.2 and it is JB, is there a program that allows you to change the SMS tone on Cydia?