SMSD: Mass texting to 178 people, results

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I just sent a mass text to 178 people using SMSD. The text took about 20 or 30 minutes to fully send to everyone. In the text I asked whoever got it to respond by texting back "got it". Well it's been about 2 hours now and I've gotten at least 150 "got it"s, so mass texting does indeed work well!

I'd like to report a small bug though. The first time I tried to send it, while it was sending I got some texts saying "Got it" that popped up in that little blue window with the option to Ignore or View. Well, I hit Ignore and the application froze. After about 5 minutes the phone soft reset and only about 30 or 40 people had been texted, so I had to resend it from where it left off. So, don't hit Ignore (or View for that matter) on a received text while the mass text is sending!

Thanks to all who helped make this app possible, it is way cool.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yeah i really like this app as well i hated being restricted to sending to one person and now i can send to as many as i would like great app. A++ to the people who made this possible

Sep 29, 2007
I was going to say I tried it with 20 people and it worked also but you did it on a more large scale level. So thank you for bringing this information to everyone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
But is the mobile phone the right platform to do this?

Maybe 5 or 6 to friends to organise a night out maybe, but any more than that and you need tracking, reporting, mailmerge and customisation, reply handling, database management, the list goes on.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
But is the mobile phone the right platform to do this?

Maybe 5 or 6 to friends to organise a night out maybe, but any more than that and you need tracking, reporting, mailmerge and customisation, reply handling, database management, the list goes on.
Aside from the MMS part, can't you already do that through web conduits aimed at the iPhone already?

I think this is more of a "Why? Because I can" scenario :p

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I noticed that about 20-30 people didn't get the text. I looked closer at their phone numbers and I noticed the following:
  • Those who DID get the text (about 140-150 people), SMSD had tacked a +1 in front of their numbers.
  • Those who DID NOT get the text (about 20-30 people), SMSD had left their number in normal format, with no +1 in front.
Now, I have some questions:

1. Why does the number need a +1 to be able to receive the message?
2. Why did SMSD randomly choose 20-30 numbers to NOT put the +1 in front of, which ended up not receiving the message?
3. If I manually put a +1 in front of every number, will that guarantee that everyone gets the message?

Dec 13, 2007
i really neeed to know exactly how to download and install the mass text messaging app. i guess reffered to as "smsd.08" or something like that...on my iPhone so i can start sending out text messages to multiple contacts at once...i have a pc....where do i go for the file?...do i do it from my pc or my iPhone?...please someone explain to me how to get it and install it...

-Mike

Dec 13, 2007
yeah...im sorry but im not familiar with any "mac" things....im not even that great with computers...im hearing i have to jailbreak something first and then use an installer?...please someone explain to me what the hell i have to do lol...i need this mass texting asap...my iPhone is all "stock" straight outta the box...

i have no idea what firmware is btw...i need liek a step by step thing...do i do it from my phone or from my pc...and how? thanks again lol

mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
yeah...im sorry but im not familiar with any "mac" things....im not even that great with computers...im hearing i have to jailbreak something first and then use an installer?...please someone explain to me what the hell i have to do lol...i need this mass texting asap...my iPhone is all "stock" straight outta the box...

i have no idea what firmware is btw...i need liek a step by step thing...do i do it from my phone or from my pc...and how? thanks again lol

mike
Please go to Settings > General > About and tell me what it says next to "Version".

tim banks

Apr 2, 2010
Help! I have a reasonably new i phone 16gb version 3.1.3 (7E18) and i need to find a way of sending 200 sms at a time but keep hitting brick walls every time i think ive cracked it! can anyone help?

thanks

Tim

wreichel

Jun 29, 2010
The best app I found was called Mass Text Message. Most of the other ones have terrible reviews. This one has great reviews and is really easy to use. It even has a website with instructions; however, they weren't really necessary since the app was so user friendly. I also really like the ReadyText mode which allows you to save previously used messages and re-use them. Check out masstextmessage.com.