SMTP nightmare

geoff.a.c

Mar 19, 2009
Here's a strange set of circumstances - can anyone help

I have a 3G iPhone running v2.2.1 of the software
It has been recently 'restored' and returned to the 'out-of-box' settings.

Mail is set to synchronise via mobile me.
The phone connects reliably via WiFi and also 3G (when available).
I can surf the web and the calendar and contacts sync without a problem.

I can receive new emails on the mail application, but trying to send one back results in an error "Cannot send mail. Connection to SMTP server smtp.me.com failed".

Now I also have the 'SendPhotos' application on the phone. If I compose a message via this application, I CAN send an email through smtp.me.com without any difficulty.

So far, I have tried the following without success .....

1. Delete the Mobile Me account from the mail application, and the add it back. (This hasn't made any difference, quite bizarre as the settings are automatically provided by the phone).

2. Turn on the 'Airplane' mode and try to send an email. (This does error out, but causes the outbox to be displayed in the folders of the mail account. There is only one message in the outbox - ie the one I have just created. Even after clearing out the OutBox, the error persists).

3. I can send and receive emails on my iMac using the MobileMe servers, so they must be running.

Before I end up doing another full restore, does anyone have any ideas please

Cheers

Geoff

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I'm not too familiar with Mobile Me so my advice could be for not. But anytime anyone has an issue sending emails it usually traces back to an incorrect SMTP server. Just for kicks, disable your wifi and just use Edge/3G. Set your SMTP server to cwmx.com and see if you can send an email (you might have to clear out your outbox first). If that works then great. We just need to figure out the Wifi part. I thought Mobile Me was setup so you could send no matter what as long as you are pointing towards their server.

For diagnosis purposes you should keep track of where you're connected when trying to send an email. With wifi it could be a number of different providers so your SMTP would have to mirror that provider. For instance comcast would be smtp.comcast.net and BellSouth would be smtp.bellsouth.net and so on. This could be the problem if you're using a certain provider but not set to the correct SMTP server. Let us know how it works out.

geoff.a.c

Mar 19, 2009
Thanks PapaST

I'm on the O2 network, and generally there is no problem with sending mail through the mobile me STMP server via the home broadband / WiFi connection. I have access to two other devices that are doing just that (and the SendPhotos application doesn't have any problems).

The fault is happening regardless of whether the phone is on the wifi - it occurs on the Edge / 2G network too. I can't speak for the 3g service as that isn't working at he moment.

At the moment I am hoping that it is a MobileMe issue ... although I'm not that convinced !

Thanks for your advice

Cheers

Geoff