Snake (not Tilt Snake) done right

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
Everyone, go download "Omnomnom" right now. It is an amazingly polished and, even more amazingly, FREE game that I would have gladly paid for had I known what I was getting. I won't elaborate but I promise you won't be disappointed. Besides, it's FREE but only for a limited time so it's best that I don't leave you with too much to read.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The iPhone 3G is only the 3rd mobile phone I've owned in my lifetime. So, I never saw the snake game on a mobile phone. But, it's fun. And it's free for now. I hope they'll offer more skins in the future.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
The iPhone 3G is only the 3rd mobile phone I've owned in my lifetime. So, I never saw the snake game on a mobile phone. But, it's fun. And it's free for now. I hope they'll offer more skins in the future.
It really was a craze.

So get this, I made the exact same post on the macrumor forums trying to be an active member of their community and received this as a response,

"So, um, why won't you elaborate? Do you think people will get turned off and not buy your game if you do? Seems rather strange that someone would seem so enthuasiastic about a game and decide not to tell people anything about it. Especially if it's just a snake game...how could a snake game be done well with only iPhone controls? Virtual d-pad's suck for fast-action, and tilt for a 4-directional fast-action game that needs accuracy isn't that much of an improvement either. "

And my retort, haha,

"Wow, you can't be serious.

I didn't feel I needed to elaborate considering I figured the only people who would care were folks looking for a decent version of Snake which I stumbled across and wanted to share.

My game? Haha, if I could program/develop games, I wouldn't waste my time posting only to be ridiculed by an arrogant ass like you. Back to EverythingiCafe I go. They actually appreciate updates on new apps that just came out unlike you. I don't know what crawled up your ass, perhaps one of the lesser snake apps wiggled in there since you were unable to control it properly.

Btw, it does use a virtual keypad and it works pretty well. I've found it to be a bit difficult to navigate super tight turns on the hardest difficulty but it's definitely do-able with some patience.

You, sir, need to relax. Go outside. Don't worry, your iPhone should have reception out there since it seems like you've yet to venture that way in quite some time.

To everyone else who likes it, I TOLD YOU.
I've already spent about an hour just trying to beat my highest score on the Large map/fastest speed and the d-pad does have its moments but if you're cognizant of where your fingers should be oriented and don't get caught up too much in the action it's pretty darn playable."

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
It really was a craze.

So get this, I made the exact same post on the macrumor forums trying to be an active member of their community and received this as a response,

"So, um, why won't you elaborate? Do you think people will get turned off and not buy your game if you do? Seems rather strange that someone would seem so enthuasiastic about a game and decide not to tell people anything about it. Especially if it's just a snake game...how could a snake game be done well with only iPhone controls? Virtual d-pad's suck for fast-action, and tilt for a 4-directional fast-action game that needs accuracy isn't that much of an improvement either. "

And my retort, haha,

"Wow, you can't be serious.

I didn't feel I needed to elaborate considering I figured the only people who would care were folks looking for a decent version of Snake which I stumbled across and wanted to share.

My game? Haha, if I could program/develop games, I wouldn't waste my time posting only to be ridiculed by an arrogant ass like you. Back to EverythingiCafe I go. They actually appreciate updates on new apps that just came out unlike you. I don't know what crawled up your ass, perhaps one of the lesser snake apps wiggled in there since you were unable to control it properly.

Btw, it does use a virtual keypad and it works pretty well. I've found it to be a bit difficult to navigate super tight turns on the hardest difficulty but it's definitely do-able with some patience.

You, sir, need to relax. Go outside. Don't worry, your iPhone should have reception out there since it seems like you've yet to venture that way in quite some time.

To everyone else who likes it, I TOLD YOU.
I've already spent about an hour just trying to beat my highest score on the Large map/fastest speed and the d-pad does have its moments but if you're cognizant of where your fingers should be oriented and don't get caught up too much in the action it's pretty darn playable."
Priceless and funny rebutal. Thanks for the headsup. Downloading now.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
awesome game, played at "victorias secret" yesterday while the fiance shopped for underwear. it kept me out of trouble because whenever she looked over at me my eyes were glued to the iPhone and not other females body parts.....

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
awesome game, played at "victorias secret" yesterday while the fiance shopped for underwear. it kept me out of trouble because whenever she looked over at me my eyes were glued to the iPhone and not other females body parts.....
The iPhone: Saving relationships since '07.

zaius

Aug 6, 2008
no longer free. $1.99

"our free introductory period has now ended."

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
As soon as I see this thread I go to get the game....It's still labeled as free but I can't download it because "changes are being made to it." NOOOOOO

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
Sorry to anyone who didn't get it while it was free. I created this thread practically right after it was released (it was still one of the newest apps when sorting by release).

I would probably still buy it for 1.99 but I REALLY loved the game on my old Nokia(s).

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
So you guys say the $2 is still worth it? I might snag it up anyway...

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
So you guys say the $2 is still worth it? I might snag it up anyway...
If you liked the original Snake then definitely. One thing I really appreciate is how they captured the retro feel of playing on an old phone. It actually displays battery life and signal and whatnot just like you were using an ancient device along with the top of the keys down at the bottom.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
Appreciate the feedback. I'll be purchasing it now!
Not a problem. Keep us posted.

My only complaint would have to be that on the highest difficulty making turns which require you to only move up/down/left/right/ by one line can be very tricky if not impossible. Perhaps more playing time will alleviate that but it can be tough. I like playing on Easy on the Large board and seeing how long I can get it. It really becomes somewhat strategic when you have to wind your snake up as tightly as possible to take up as little board space as you can so you can navigate easier.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you liked the original Snake then definitely. One thing I really appreciate is how they captured the retro feel of playing on an old phone. It actually displays battery life and signal and whatnot just like you were using an ancient device along with the top of the keys down at the bottom.
Hey look! A cell phone with better battery power and signal strength than the 3G! :laugh2:

Just kidding. I'm a big fan of the 3G. Never had any signal problems and I'm adjusting to the battery life.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
Hey look! A cell phone with better battery power and signal strength than the 3G! :laugh2:

Just kidding. I'm a big fan of the 3G. Never had any signal problems and I'm adjusting to the battery life.
Haha, same here.

To be honest, I was accustomed to the "charging my device during the day" routine thanks to my BlackBerry Curve. If I ever used it for anything that required data or messaging, it would deplete just as quickly as my 3G does. Heck, I don't think I used it half as much due to the limited browsing and lack of an App Store and still had to charge it at least once a day, if not more.

Go iPhone!