Snow Leopard partition question...

Aug 1, 2007
I got Snow Leopard on Tuesday, but barely installed it 30 mins ago. reason being is because I had a problem with the install. While running Leopard 10.5.8 I ran the installer of SL. in the middle of the install it would fail. I ended up losing all my data from that install cause it corrupted my hard drive. The only solution for that was to do a restore on my hard drive. So I erased my whole hard drive and tried to install SL (clean install). Same situation. I reinstalled Leopard then SL. Again failed install, Always would hang up in the middle of the install.

So I decided to partition my hard drive, clean install Leopard, then install SL in a 3rd partition. By some miracle, it worked. SL booted and installed just fine.

Now my burning question is if I can delete the Leopard partition and leave the SL partition? (The other partiton is blank for music, pics, and videos)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thats odd. I'm not exactly sure what could cause that. Maybe a corrupt partition? You have all your files backed up with time machine right?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why would you want your media on a separate partition? I've only used partitions for dual booting.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Sounds like you might have a bad sector on your hard drive.

Aug 1, 2007
No I didn't back up with time machine. I wish I did! I backed up some of my files with a external I had for my pc. I never used a partition before. I'm starting to think I might have a bad hard drive. What should I do? Cause I have started to put stuff back onto my hard drive.

atari800

Jan 10, 2010
To delete partition in snow leopard

Is this what you were wanting to do? It's easy.

Disk Utility > select volume you want to edit > Click Partition button > Select partition you want to delete > Click minus [-] sign > press apply > resize dividers.

Worked perfectly for me. Months ago I bisected space on my external LaCie drive: one partition for Time Machine backups and the other for "media," like movie projects in progress, and today decided I would rather have all 500G dedicated to backups. I'm very pleased this system is so flexible -- I was afraid I'd have to wrestle this change through Terminal. Whew!

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Yeah. Just use Disk Utility to delete the Leopard partition. It should automatically give that space to the Snow Leopard one too.

/*
My HDD in my MBP seems to have bad sectors (according to Ubuntu's disk utility). Will probably be getting a 500GB this weekend. I'm always getting I/O errors too which makes everything freeze for an annoying amount of time.
*/

austin12

Apr 30, 2010
"I ended up losing all my data from that install cause it corrupted my hard drive "

I think before doing anything with your hard drive you must try to save your lost data.It is possible by using any recommended Mac data recovery application.Remember you must not overwrite your hard drive as i would be more complicated to recover your precious data.Time Machine was best possible but bad luck for you as you had not updated it

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah. Just use Disk Utility to delete the Leopard partition. It should automatically give that space to the Snow Leopard one too.

/*
My HDD in my MBP seems to have bad sectors (according to Ubuntu's disk utility). Will probably be getting a 500GB this weekend. I'm always getting I/O errors too which makes everything freeze for an annoying amount of time.
*/
I like how you commented out the second part lol