So after 300-500 charges we will need to replace battery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DigitalEndorphins

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
So after 300-500 charges the battery will need to be shipped out for replacement by Apple?

If so, guess we better be vary careful in charging the battery only when needed. Perhaps evey other or third day.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
So after 300-500 charges the battery will need to be shipped out for replacement by Apple?

If so, guess we better be vary careful in charging the battery only when needed. Perhaps evey other or third day.
I was thinking about charging it when it died. :p

On a serious note, you should definitely only charge it when it is low. Constant charging will eventually wear on the battery. Just in case someone didn't know that. The differences can be minor but a difference nonetheless.

daveh98

Jun 27, 2007
here is my dilemma. I would assume that talking, video and music listening and wi-fi will drain the battery to where you need to charge POSSIBLY once a day. If that is the case one would need to send the phone in to Apple ot get a new battery in about a year? That would suck:/

Jun 26, 2007
Well Pogue seemed to think it was 300-400 charges before it started to degrade. So it's not like you have to change it at that point anyway.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
They are talking essentially complete charges.

If you charge it 20% 5 times, that would be equal to 1 charge.

daveh98

Jun 27, 2007
They are talking essentially complete charges.

If you charge it 20% 5 times, that would be equal to 1 charge.
That doesn't really prove that is better or anything? If you use the phone all day with talking, music and wi fi (which is reasonable) then you possibly could have drained the battery to "low" at the least. So you could be doing "full charges" on a daily basis. Also I don't think its good to charge the battery 5 times at 80%

Now if the above poster is right and the battery BEGINS to degrade after 3 or 400 then that isn't as bad.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
atleast we have one glorious year of iPhoneness before swapping batteries :laugh2::laugh2:, if you only get roughly a year

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, the battery doesn't just die after 300 charges and the phone not work. After that many charges, the capacity and life of the battery degrades and a full charge will only give you about 80% of the life that a new one would. Honestly, I'm not even thinking about the battery and I don't think anyone should really stress about it. If you get the phone tomorrow, it won't be until sometime late in 2008 that you'll need to even start thinking about a new battery.

Also, I forgot to add that that's 300 charge cycles. So if you had to fully charge the iPhone every night, then in like a year, then the battery life would decline. If you only charge it fully every other night, then you're talking about a lot of battery length.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
That doesn't really prove that is better or anything? If you use the phone all day with talking, music and wi fi (which is reasonable) then you possibly could have drained the battery to "low" at the least. So you could be doing "full charges" on a daily basis. Also I don't think its good to charge the battery 5 times at 80%

Now if the above poster is right and the battery BEGINS to degrade after 3 or 400 then that isn't as bad.

Actually, since its Lithium Ion it won't hurt to charge when its at 80% to top off. Lithium Ion actually doesn't like being fully drained as repeated full drains can cause damage and limit the lifespan of the battery. For other battery types your statement holds true.

There is a lot of good battery information at http://www.batteryuniversity.com

Also check the Apple battery sites posted earlier.