So, after July 11, what if I need my V1 fixed?

Aug 9, 2007
I've been having an ongoing issue where while talking, the screen becomes active. The phone will go to speaker mode, put the call on hold, etc.
I was going to take it to the local Apple store to have them look at it, assuming they'd probably just swap it out. But, if I wait until later next month (I bought it in August), will I possibly get a 3G iPhone as a replacement?:cool:

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Not a chance in hell. Apple will have plenty of first gen iPhone available for warranty replacement for quite some time.

Joe

Aug 9, 2007
Not a chance in hell. Apple will have plenty of first gen iPhone available for warranty replacement for quite some time.

Joe
I would have thought so too, but since the stores don't have any to sell at thip point....
Maybe i'll just try to get a shiny new (or refurbished) V1 out of it to sell.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would have thought so too, but since the stores don't have any to sell at thip point....
They don't have any to sell because they are holding a good number in reserve for situations just like yours.:)

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I called the Apple store and asked the same thing you did. They said the phones current warranty is for the V1 phone, they will only replace it with a V1 phone.

I had another thought though. You know how it has been reported that if you got a V1 after May 27th, they would allow you to exchange it for the 3G model at no cost. So what if you return the v1 now and get a new V1. Does that count as getting it after May 27th? I assume not, but I really want to find a way around this!

Im giving my wife my v1 when I get the 3G, but I would love to be able to get 2 new 3G models and get rid of this v1 all together!

By the way, I love your avatar, Crash!

Aug 9, 2007
Ahh very nice. So why not do like Im doing Crash. Give her the v1 and get a shinny new 3G!
I offered, but she says the tech would be wasted on her. She still has an old Nokia like they sold for $19.99 four or five years ago. Of course, she's the one person in the family who never has any issues with her phone.
I'll probably end up selling to a coworker or eBaying it after I get a 3G.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I offered, but she says the tech would be wasted on her. She still has an old Nokia like they sold for $19.99 four or five years ago. Of course, she's the one person in the family who never has any issues with her phone.
I'll probably end up selling to a coworker or eBaying it after I get a 3G.
You know what, my wife said the same thing at first until I spent an hour or so showing her the features that SHE would use. Like taking a picture of our babies and emailing it right to the grandparents. That sold her. She doesn't care about games or any of that, she only cares about how it can help her everyday routine.
And since the resale value of the V1 is going to be crap, I told her we would be better off keeping it instead of selling if for a fraction of what I paid for it. She isn't to happy Im getting the new one anyway, but she cant do anything about it! HAHAHAHA!

May 6, 2007
United States
They probably don't have any to sell BECAUSE they thought ahead to keep some for refurbs.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I had another thought though. You know how it has been reported that if you got a V1 after May 27th, they would allow you to exchange it for the 3G model at no cost. So what if you return the v1 now and get a new V1. Does that count as getting it after May 27th? I assume not, but I really want to find a way around this!
Well, I suppose that if you were within the 2 week return period this would be possible, but outside of that and you've got no chance.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think eventually, they will replace first gen iPhones with 3g versions. After a while, they'll have to run out of refurbs of the first gen models. Customers like myself that have an AppleCare agreement will have a full warranty until June 27, 2009. A lot can happen to a phone between now and then. Actually a customer could have a first gen iPhone under warranty until May 27, 2010. They'll have to replace those with 3G versions and those customers will probably get their plans grandfathered in by AT&T.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I think eventually, they will replace first gen iPhones with 3g versions. After a while, they'll have to run out of refurbs of the first gen models. Customers like myself that have an AppleCare agreement will have a full warranty until June 27, 2009. A lot can happen to a phone between now and then. Actually a customer could have a first gen iPhone under warranty until May 27, 2010. They'll have to replace those with 3G versions and those customers will probably get their plans grandfathered in by AT&T.
See thats what I thought too, but if people keep returning V1 iPhones, then Apple will have a constant supply of refurbs. Well, maybe not constant but it might take them a while to run out. I would think V3 might be out by the time they run out of v1.
My current warranty is good until August of this year. I can extend at anytime between now and then. But according to Apple, my warranty covers the v1 iPhone and there is no way they would replace it with the 3G, at least that is what Diane from the Apple store told me.
Im thinking about calling them back and asking them my other question. Or calling AT&T to see what they say.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
exactly. every broken iPhone gets repaired, and eventually becomes a refurb... that's what refurbished means!

I suppose it's possible Apple may run out of parts to fix refurbs... and then eventually run out of refurbs... but i don't see that happening any time soon... if at all.

Aug 9, 2007
This is why I was thinking around July 12th would be the time to visit the store. If they really don't have any iPhones on hand, what will they do when I walk in with an issue.
I may call the store and see what they say.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
This is why I was thinking around July 12th would be the time to visit the store. If they really don't have any iPhones on hand, what will they do when I walk in with an issue.
I may call the store and see what they say.
I think you're not understanding the difference between iPhone1s "to sell" and iPhone1s "for exchanges". They DO have (and will continue to have) iPhone 1s available for warranty exchanges, but they will not be available for purchase.

Aug 9, 2007
I understand the difference, I was just hoping my particular store would say, "We don't have any V1's to swap out for you right now, so you'll have to take this V2, please accept our apoligies, take a free dock, and here's a gift card for your trouble".
I guy can dream, can't he?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
good luck with that. My guess is Apple stores have prepared for the many iPhone1 owners with the same idea.