So apparently anyone who installed iOS 7 without registering their UDID...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Leo, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

...is screwed when it comes for beta 2.

Regular users were able to get around the UDID check by selecting "Update" on iTunes, but according to a rumor I hear buzzing between some devs, the initial setup screen is making a comeback in beta 2 to verify UDIDs, and that it could be hard or impossible to downgrade back to 6.1.3 after installing the future beta 2.

Beta 1 expires on July 24th, 2013, so if your UDID isn't registered on a developer account and you're running iOS 7 beta 1, I highly recommend you do, or downgrade back to iOS 6 before the beta 1 of iOS 7 expires. I cannot confirm nor deny the validity of this rumor, but just posting this for those to play it safe!

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I remember a similar thing happening with ios6 beta 2. Or was it ios5...?

3. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

There's nothing that can ever prevent one from downgrading to the current version of iOS 6, as going into recovery mode is always possible.

I only did the update trick because Apple was taking hours to process UDID activations. So, I would recommend for people to just get their UDID activated to play it safe.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. If Apple started intentionally bricking devices or forcing users to indefinitely stay on a buggy beta, that would be a first. It doesn't make sense or benefit Apple or the user in any way. A DFU restore should work no matter what firmware version is running.

5. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

It's worth pointing out here that installing the betas without a registered device is a very dumb move.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I am no authority, but I do not think that Apple charges the $99 and makes you get a UDID as a money making endeavor. It is more of a barrier to entry for people who should never run a beta from running it, and as a method of sifting out developers from people who are amateurs.

If the number of people (non-developers) that pirated a copy of IOS7 reached a high number, my guess is that Apple HQ would be jumping up and down as a sign that it was a success. When the Game of Thrones people heard they were the most pirated show ever they were pretty proud and in that case HBO did lose money in the form of lost subscriptions.

I doubt Apple cares if enthusiastic fans get a beta without permission.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do know that developers have 100 beta tester slots that they can give away, right? You don't have to be a developer to legally run the beta. We don't have to pirate iOS 7. Pirating it wouldn't work anyway - you have to have your UDID registered it you want to install all of the beta versions of iOS 7. Apple doesn't want people pirating this. They go to great lengths to prevent jailbreaking and piracy.

8. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I was specifically talking about people without a UDID who are just users and not testers. Fans. I *thought* thats who Leo was referring to. They need a pirated copy and can install it without a UDID as an update.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay. I wasn't sure if you knew you didn't have to be a developer to get your UDID registered and legally run it. But the fact that Apple is going to block this ability to install it on beta 2 without a registered UDID is pretty good evidence that Apple won't be jumping up and down (about the success of the beta) as you said.

10. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I agree, they do not want non-devs running it. I agree that is why they will close this in the next version. The only thing we disagree on is that I think if *hypothetically* the amount of illegals users of IOS7 was significant and people were clamoring to get copies before release, in that case, I think that would be a good sign to them.

11. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I honestly think that Apple simply forgot about this when they put out beta 1, seeing how similar things happened last year with iOS 6 (if I remember correctly).

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple isn't that desperate. Sales of iPhones, the number of users who upgrade to the final version and good reviews are a good sign, not the amount of people who manage to install a beta without a registered UDID. They want to prevent this, not secretly get excited over it or view it as a sign of success.

13. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

The amount of people who pirated Game f Thrones reached over 1,000,000. It was a record for a TV show. The number of tweets the show got were record highs. These are indicators that the show was very successful. #GoT is not happy they got tweets or pirated, but that is a sign of success.

If IOS6 had 20,000 people pirate it and IOS7 and 170,000 people download I would take that as a good sign and I think Apple would too. I am not saying they are happy about the 170,000, I am saying some people use piracy as an indicator.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Another sign of success is how many people watch it on TV and how good the ratings are. Their success doesn't rely on the number of torrent downloads. Anyway, you can't compare an iOS beta to GoT. It's Apples and oranges. GoT is one of the most popular TV shows in history. The penultimate episode of season 3 is the highest rated TV episode in history (tied with an episode of Breaking Bad). Popular movies and TV shows always have a high number of downloaded torrents and I'm not going to get into the reasons for that and effects of it right now, but I will say that you can't say all of the people who torrented it would have paid for an HBO subscription. Probably fewer than 1/6 would have paid for a subscription if torrenting wasn't a thing.

All I'm saying is there are millions of iPhone users and millions of people will update to iOS 7. Apple doesn't need something like this to gauge their success.

15. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

All I was saying was that it is a data point. One data point. There quite possible are many other factors that can make it irrelevant or even meaningless. And Apple has many other data points they use to track excitement over IOS, companies are even paid to conduct studies. It's still a data point.

Youre probably right that Apple does not care about it much and certainly would not leave the "hole" that allowed people w/o UDID's to install it on purpose.

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Funny, though. :)

*Waits patiently for beta 2 to be released and the forum to light up with various problems all associated to the lack of UDID registration. Impatience baffles me?

17. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a Beta tester for one of those slots to various developers, I am really enjoying IOS7.

18. caponcha

caponcha Member

It's $8 to register your UID with one of them...just do a search on here

19. ed2438

ed2438 Contributor
    Bronze

I have some available. Just message me

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

20. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I just don't see this as an issue. They'll be able to go back to 6.1.x or for as little as $10 anyone can buy a spot on a developer account at myriad locations on the net. We will see the crying and weeping regardless.