So conflicted right now.....

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by snowtrooper1966, Sep 12, 2012.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I want to join in the discussions and check the live bogs from the event, but am currently of the mind to just watch Apple's presentation once they post the keynote...just let of flow organically.
    We'll see if I can make it to 3pm without caving in :D

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Im still watching it tonight even thou I just saw most of it on twit.com over on justintv.

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Bennyboy Overall impressions? Any big surprises?

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

it all depends, like I said on another thread, of what you need the phone for. I'm not into gaming anymore, I don't need bigger, my 4S is just fine, If I was eligible for an upgrade now I would get it, no doubt, but I don't see anything that's gonna make me jump loops and climb glass walls for it.

5. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I've been following the blog and I'm torn. It seems like a tall, skinny, faster 4s. :-/

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not too many surprises. The leaked pictures pretty much nailed it. I'm going to order one on Verizon on Friday. If the LTE speeds are good, I'll port my AT&T number over. Pretty sure I'll go with black, but I need to see the white pics first.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How was that? Did they get cut off at all? I just watched the live blog on engadget.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Turn on TV car chase in LA and they throw money out of the window ........while being chased FUNNY

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I like the design, it's gonna look hot in white.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

WOW! JUST WOW! I CAN'T WAIT TIL FRIDAY NOW!

Oh I can tone it down a bit. ;) I love the presentation. I can't wait to see it on the web site. I know it's not over, but I saw what I needed. People kept interrupting me here. I am stoked! I'm happy with the new iPhone 5. NICE!

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

not bad and they are kind of funny. It did get choppy right after the the revealed the prices of the new iPhone and all, so I just closed. I'll watch it tonight.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool. Did they show the white model? I'm not sure if I missed it.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The 4S 8 gig is gonna be free, did I hear right?

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

not when I saw it, the audio started to get choppy so I closed. I'm sure we will see pics up soon.

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

my bad, the 4 8gig will be free with a contract ofcourse.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I thought they said 4S is going to be $99 and the 4 will be free.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

yes, just posted above you.

18. jpmihalk

jpmihalk Member
    Bronze

Yes, they showed the white model, with a raw aluminum back. (The black model has a black anodized back.)

19. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Just curious, why the switch?
    I'm currently using Sprint, but concerend about LTE deployment/implimentation. Trying do decide what carrier to go with if I can make enough dough selling my 3 Absinthe'd 4S's to subsidize iPhone 5 purchases.

I know the decision really boils down to each carrier's quality in my area, but am interested to hear your input.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I switched from Sprint to AT&T in 2008 so I could get an iPhone 3G. The service area was pretty bad at the time, but it improved a lot over the years. Verizon's coverage is still miles ahead of AT&T's here in the southwest, though. I stuck with AT&T when the 4S came out because I talk on the phone a lot and needed AT&T's mobile to mobile. Now that Verizon has unlimited calling there is no reason for me to stay with AT&T. My bill will go up by $5/month if I keep 4 GB of data, but I'm going to go with the 2 GB instead (which will decrease my bill by $5/month) since my all-time max usage is 1.2 GB per month and I only average 300 MB per month.

Most of benefits AT&T had are gone now (unless they have better coverage in your area). They used to include the following:
    1. Simultaneous voice and data. Now you can do that with Verizon LTE.
    2. Rollover minutes. Verizon has unlimited calling now.
    3. Coverage overseas. Verizon iPhones work on worldwide GSM carriers now.
    4. Sooner upgrades. But after I did the math I realized we don't save any more money on upgrades with AT&T when we upgrade every year. We will, however, save money if we upgrade every 18 months with AT&T, but I upgrade every year so that doesn't help me. You actually end up paying $50 more over a 2-year period with AT&T subsidization compared with Verizon (if you upgrade every year). Verizon - $200+$650=850. AT&T - $450+$450=$900.
    5. Slower 3G. Still a problem, but it won't be for a lot of people since Verizon has the great LTE coverage.

So I'm switching because I have unreliable service and frequent failed calls with AT&T, poor coverage in my area in comparison to Verizon, AT&T isn't offering me ANY subsidization at this time (I'd have to pay full price) even though I upgraded last October, I'll have unlimited calls with Verizon, Verizon doesn't nickel and dime you for facetime over 4G and mobile hotspot (data is data and we should be able to use our 2 GB however we want, IMO), and because AT&T doesn't have LTE here and Verizon does.

The only drawbacks I can think of are slower 3G when I'm not in an LTE area and no simultaneous 3G and voice when I'm not in an LTE area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List