So cool, but will iPhone work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Interesting article pointing out some issues that may give you pause:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070625/COL11/706250313/1081

I love how people talk about how the RAZR cost $500 when it was originally announced, and now carriers typically offer it as a free phone. They try to draw parallels between the cost of the RAZR, and the cost of the iPhone, and how the price will surely drop the exact same way, as an excuse to wait for the price drop.

Here is where I have issue with that statement. The iPhone is basically a handheld computer, running customized mobile apps. Where the RAZR is the same old motorola phone OS tucked in a pretty package. Honestly, once the RAZR went into high production the components that make up its whole are really just garbage made smaller. What could it cost to build a RAZR, $10 or $20, max?

Sure, the iPhone may have price breaks in the future, but I don't see it as a giveaway phone at any point.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
All smartphones are a handheld computer. Actually, moreso than the iPhone, because PPCs include mobile office and other necessary functionality. And all have come down significantly in price over time. The gen 1 iPhone could well become a cheap or free phone, especially after the carrier exclusive with AT&T has expired. Then competition with other carriers may necessitate that.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I love how people talk about how the RAZR cost $500 when it was originally announced, and now carriers typically offer it as a free phone. They try to draw parallels between the cost of the RAZR, and the cost of the iPhone, and how the price will surely drop the exact same way, as an excuse to wait for the price drop.

Here is where I have issue with that statement. The iPhone is basically a handheld computer, running customized mobile apps. Where the RAZR is the same old motorola phone OS tucked in a pretty package. Honestly, once the RAZR went into high production the components that make up its whole are really just garbage made smaller. What could it cost to build a RAZR, $10 or $20, max?

Sure, the iPhone may have price breaks in the future, but I don't see it as a giveaway phone at any point.

Agreed. Former owner of a v400 and a RAZR, current owner of a SLIVR. They're all the same SLOW-ASS UI.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
So no direct music downloads is a given eh?

Sure.

Anyways, who cares. It is weird the stuff people get hung up on.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
sometimes i love reading these types of articles that try to point out the iPhone negatives... cause at the end of them, i usually don't care about anything they pointed out, and it makes me think... they just tried their best to rip the phone, and couldnt come up with anything i care about, and i STILL want an iPhone more than anything. which just confirms my notions of how amazing this thing will be. i could care less about downloading music and videos directly on my phone. i do all of that stuff on my computer for free anyways...

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
All smartphones are a handheld computer. Actually, moreso than the iPhone, because PPCs include mobile office and other necessary functionality. And all have come down significantly in price over time. The gen 1 iPhone could well become a cheap or free phone, especially after the carrier exclusive with AT&T has expired. Then competition with other carriers may necessitate that.
HATER! Keep up the full court press Bill Gates!