So disappointed by iPhone 5

Trondemann

Bronze
Oct 20, 2011
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2, and my iPad is much faster downloading movieclips from for example youtube, and others sites that contains clips. This is on my WIFI at my home. On sites that i am only reading text, my iPad is much faster......i am not Happy with this.:-((

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If I were you, I conduct some tests. First off, was Speedtest, which they both seem to share the same result. Try some random YouTube tests. See if it just happens to be Facebook. Also, are you in the same part of your home when conducting these tests? Both devices benefiting from the same signal strength?

Finally, you could try rebooting your router and your iPhone. Sort of a fresh start for both parties. Sometimes that's all that's needed for any device that's not having a good day with Wi-Fi.

Trondemann

Bronze
Oct 20, 2011
Will do . Appreciate answers :)
I just tried with my daughters iPhone 3GS the speedtest, and her Ping was over 300, compared to mine 157. But my speed was maybe 35% faster .

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
I'm not really sure if this helps, but I would try using the browser on iPad and iPhone and clicking on the videos through Facebook and monitoring the results.

You never know when the apps actually cause lag- I don't really think this is it, but you never know.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Agreed with everything that's been said above. Do some resets: reset the router, reset network settings, hard reset. If all else fails you could also try to restore the phone as new, it could be the result of a corrupt backup... Good luck!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I can confirm that a bad backup can fubar your phone. When I got my iPhone 5, I couldn't send regular text messages- only iMessage to other idevices. There was a corrupt setting I. My iPhone 4 backup. I had to dump and start from scratch.
Here is something else to consider. You need to put both devices side by side on a table and test at the same time. There is going to be slight variances, so you need to run a series of tests with speediest.net. They should average about the same. If they do not, then you need to go to another wifi source and do it again. If there is still a difference, call Apple support and tell them your problem.
Now, if the majority of your problems seem to stem from Facebook -accessing videos and websites, then it could be the app. Delete it, sync your phone and reboot. Then add it again and see if that makes a difference.
FB on my phone crashes at least once a day and its either lightning fast or slow as hell.
That brings another point. Make sure that your as close to comparing Apples to Apples when doing tests. If the Facebook on the iPad hasn't been updated at least once since last summer, then you have different versions and that could be the problem too.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've always followed this rule: Never restore a new phone that's running a new firmware version (5.0, 6.0, etc.) from a backup that was created on an previous generation of firmware and hardware. I'll restore from my backups throughout the year, but I like to start fresh with each new model of the iPhone. There is less potential for problems that way.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I've always followed this rule: Never restore a new phone that's running a new firmware version (5.0, 6.0, etc.) from a backup that was created on an previous generation of firmware and hardware. I'll restore from my backups throughout the year, but I like to start fresh with each new model of the iPhone. There is less potential for problems that way.
I've never done that, but plan to do it with my next phone... Just don't want to lose all that data, texts, etc.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never done that, but plan to do it with my next phone... Just don't want to lose all that data, texts, etc.
You don't lose anything except texts and game saves. You can restore the texts if you jailbreak and you can save them to your computer if you don't.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try this on the iPhone:
1. Delete Facebook and then reinstall it
2. Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
3. Reboot

And this on the iPad:
1. Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
2. Reboot

Now, while both devices are connected to WiFi, select a page in Safari with a video and load it on both devices. Then press the play button on the video on both devices at the same time. Record and upload the results if you'd like.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
After watching that video, I go back to my earlier post that you need to try at another wifi location. If its happening there as well, then I would call Apple support.

Sent using iCafe app