So disappointed by iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Trondemann, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Trondemann

Trondemann Member
    Bronze

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2, and my iPad is much faster downloading movieclips from for example youtube, and others sites that contains clips. This is on my WIFI at my home. On sites that i am only reading text, my iPad is much faster......i am not Happy with this.:-((

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Have you tried testing the speeds using the Speedtest app?

3. Trondemann

Trondemann Member
    Bronze

They both almost have the same speed on the speedtest. The problem is When i for example want to watch a clip on Facebook , the iPhone uses much! Longer time to start showing the clip. Why is this ? U know?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365619542.785153.jpg

Attached Files:

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

this does not sound right. I would be taking it to the genius bar and have it tested.

5. Trondemann

Trondemann Member
    Bronze

We don't have an Apple store here :-(

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If I were you, I conduct some tests. First off, was Speedtest, which they both seem to share the same result. Try some random YouTube tests. See if it just happens to be Facebook. Also, are you in the same part of your home when conducting these tests? Both devices benefiting from the same signal strength?

Finally, you could try rebooting your router and your iPhone. Sort of a fresh start for both parties. Sometimes that's all that's needed for any device that's not having a good day with Wi-Fi.

7. Trondemann

Trondemann Member
    Bronze

Will do . Appreciate answers :)
    I just tried with my daughters iPhone 3GS the speedtest, and her Ping was over 300, compared to mine 157. But my speed was maybe 35% faster .

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Try resetting network settings on your iPhone. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. You'll have to put in your wifi password again afterwards.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Lower ping is better

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

But you can have great ping with low speeds and bad ping with great speeds.

11. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

I'm not really sure if this helps, but I would try using the browser on iPad and iPhone and clicking on the videos through Facebook and monitoring the results.

You never know when the apps actually cause lag- I don't really think this is it, but you never know.

12. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed with everything that's been said above. Do some resets: reset the router, reset network settings, hard reset. If all else fails you could also try to restore the phone as new, it could be the result of a corrupt backup... Good luck!

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I can confirm that a bad backup can fubar your phone. When I got my iPhone 5, I couldn't send regular text messages- only iMessage to other idevices. There was a corrupt setting I. My iPhone 4 backup. I had to dump and start from scratch.
    Here is something else to consider. You need to put both devices side by side on a table and test at the same time. There is going to be slight variances, so you need to run a series of tests with speediest.net. They should average about the same. If they do not, then you need to go to another wifi source and do it again. If there is still a difference, call Apple support and tell them your problem.
    Now, if the majority of your problems seem to stem from Facebook -accessing videos and websites, then it could be the app. Delete it, sync your phone and reboot. Then add it again and see if that makes a difference.
    FB on my phone crashes at least once a day and its either lightning fast or slow as hell.
    That brings another point. Make sure that your as close to comparing Apples to Apples when doing tests. If the Facebook on the iPad hasn't been updated at least once since last summer, then you have different versions and that could be the problem too.

Sent using iCafe app

• List
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've always followed this rule: Never restore a new phone that's running a new firmware version (5.0, 6.0, etc.) from a backup that was created on an previous generation of firmware and hardware. I'll restore from my backups throughout the year, but I like to start fresh with each new model of the iPhone. There is less potential for problems that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I've never done that, but plan to do it with my next phone... Just don't want to lose all that data, texts, etc.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't lose anything except texts and game saves. You can restore the texts if you jailbreak and you can save them to your computer if you don't.

17. Trondemann

Trondemann Member
    Bronze

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try this on the iPhone:
    1. Delete Facebook and then reinstall it
    2. Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
    3. Reboot

And this on the iPad:
    1. Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data
    2. Reboot

Now, while both devices are connected to WiFi, select a page in Safari with a video and load it on both devices. Then press the play button on the video on both devices at the same time. Record and upload the results if you'd like.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

After watching that video, I go back to my earlier post that you need to try at another wifi location. If its happening there as well, then I would call Apple support.

Sent using iCafe app

20. Anna Harris

Anna Harris New Member

The internet speed of my iPhone 4S is slower than my iPad, though I am using same WiFi for both devices.